Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

numediaman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 5, 2004
Chicago (by way of SF)
This seems to be an ongoing problem that a few people are encountering, and the Apple discussion boards are not offering any solutions:

I can no longer open Safari, period.

I first encountered this problem a week ago and trashing a java file solved it -- for a few days. Then I have followed just about every advice found on the Apple site except wiping out my hard drive and starting completely over.

I've deleted files from the Library, I've run permissions a million times, trashed and reinstalled Safari -- everything except throwing my computer against the wall.

Firefox works fine, and I have no other application problems. I'm on Leopard, but on an older G4 mini.

Anybody have any thoughts?

(By the way, no problems with Safari at all on my Intel-based Macbook Pro.)

merl1n

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2008
New Jersey, USA
This seems to be an ongoing problem that a few people are encountering, and the Apple discussion boards are not offering any solutions:

I can no longer open Safari, period.

I first encountered this problem a week ago and trashing a java file solved it -- for a few days. Then I have followed just about every advice found on the Apple site except wiping out my hard drive and starting completely over.

I've deleted files from the Library, I've run permissions a million times, trashed and reinstalled Safari -- everything except throwing my computer against the wall.

Firefox works fine, and I have no other application problems. I'm on Leopard, but on an older G4 mini.

Anybody have any thoughts?

(By the way, no problems with Safari at all on my Intel-based Macbook Pro.)

Try trashing these item:

~user/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist
~user/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.RSS.plist

Also move the items in ~user/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/... on the desktop and test safari. If good, move each one back and retest.

numediaman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 5, 2004
Chicago (by way of SF)
Try trashing these item:

~user/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist
~user/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.RSS.plist

Also move the items in ~user/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/... on the desktop and test safari. If good, move each one back and retest.

Yeah, tried those long ago to no effect.

At first, Safari would appear to launch (the application would stop bouncing in the dock) but never really open. Now, it just bounces forever. Neither deleting files nor pulling out the plug-ins seem to have any effect. Trashing that java file also has done nothing ("/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle").

I can't help but think that this has something to do with java, and with my move from Tiger to Leopard -- but at the same time, I made that move many months ago and have experienced very few problems other that the fact that my mini is getting old and I really need to replace it.

numediaman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 5, 2004
Chicago (by way of SF)
I created a new thread in the OS X area because I think I have identified the source of the problem.

Another site recommended creating a new user and then seeing if Safari would open -- it would.

So the issue, I guess, involves my user account.

Anybody know how to fix my "user"?

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
I created a new thread in the OS X area because I think I have identified the source of the problem.

Another site recommended creating a new user and then seeing if Safari would open -- it would.

So the issue, I guess, involves my user account.

Anybody know how to fix my "user"?

In my experience user account problems are linked to .plist files. Maybe there is one Safari-related one that you've missed?

Otherwise you'll need to migrate over to the new account you created.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.