Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
I was just wondering how the whole speeding thing works in the UK these days.

If you get pulled over for speeding, do they issue you with a ticket there on the spot, or will they tell you that you're speeding, let you go and then you get a notice in the post weeks later informing you of points on your license and a fee?

Is there an actual 'ticket' issued on the spot, and if not, is it safe to assume that if you're not given anything on the spot you've just received a warning?

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
You'll be notified you're getting ticketed on the spot, IIRC.

If you're *really* nice, polite, apologetic (and acknowledge your speed when they say "do you realise the speed you were doing?"), they can often let you off, and you'll hear nothing more.

For any speeding fine you have to receive written notice within 14 days.

Been doing something you shouldn't? ;)

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
Possibly doing 42 in a 30? :eek:

Didn't actually realize it was a 30 because it was 40 on both sides of this tiny little village, and was most apologetic when I found out. I'm rather hoping it was just a warning I received.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
This site has all the info you can ever want.

Note the 14 days is for a NIP (Notice of Intended Prosecution) if you are not stopped at the road side. If you are stopped at the road side most likely you will receive a verbal NIP. After this you might get a £60 fine + 3 points through the mail after about 14 days. Or if it's a proper big speed they have 6 months to lay papers at court...

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
That website is a tad confusing.

Does a verbal NIP have to explicitly say I've been given a ticket and will be reported, or does the fact that a police officer has spoken to you at the side of the road count as one?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
That website is a tad confusing.

Does a verbal NIP have to explicitly say I've been given a ticket and will be reported, or does the fact that a police officer has spoken to you at the side of the road count as one?

I wish you'd stop calling it a ticket: that's American terminology. No UK officer would say that. He/she would have to use a specific phrase. From memory it's something like "You will be reported for the consideration of the offence of breaking the speed limit". That would be a verbal NIP. Did they give you any paperwork? Normally if they are using their discretion and let you off they explicitly tell you that along with something like "this is your lucky day"...

Edit: here we go: Verbal NIP.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

northy124

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2007
If a police man pulls you over and depending on their mood you might get an on the spot ticket, But usually you just get sent a notice or something in the post within 14 days of the offence & if your like my dad a court date to go along with the ticket:D.

Mr.Noisy

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
UK™
Possibly doing 42 in a 30? :eek:

Don't know about being stopped but I got flashed by a Speed Camera at 07:08am on the way home one morning, within a week a little brown envelope arrived and a nice little letter telling me i was being rewarded for doing 43 in a 30 by receiving 3 penalty points and a £60 fine, or I could contest it in court (waste of time), Warnings are rare, but good luck ;)

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
I wish you'd stop calling it a ticket: that's American terminology. No UK officer would say that. He/she would have to use a specific phrase. From memory it's something like "You will be reported for the consideration of the offence of breaking the speed limit". That would be a verbal NIP. Did they give you any paperwork? Normally if they are using their discretion and let you off they explicitly tell you that along with something like "this is your lucky day"...

Edit: here we go: Verbal NIP.

Sorry, I lack experience in speeding fines and terminology (which is probably a good thing really...)

Nope, no paperwork, and he definitely made no mention of being reported. Just said to watch the signs to avoid a ticket next time. I asked if that meant I was safe this time and he said definitely.

It sounds promising, but nevertheless, I'm paranoid. :eek:

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Nope, no paperwork, and he definitely made no mention of being reported. Just said to watch the signs to avoid a ticket next time. I asked if that meant I was safe this time and he said definitely.

You got let off. Basically he's hoping that you crapped your pants (which sort of seems to be the case) and the memories of this will be a more effective deterrent than a small fine.

And he's probably right. The two areas that removed the cameras and use Police officers who can act like this cut deaths more than the cameras.

Anyway you got lucky. Be happy!

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
Basically he's hoping that you crapped your pants (which sort of seems to be the case) and the memories of this will be a more effective deterrent than a small fine.

Naturally! :p I was fine until he pointed out I was speeding - I didn't realize it.

I rather like my clean license and hope to keep it that way. :)

craig1410

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2007
Scotland
Sorry, I lack experience in speeding fines and terminology (which is probably a good thing really...)

It sounds promising, but nevertheless, I'm paranoid. :eek:

Sounds to me like you've gotten away with it as you would normally be invited to accept a fixed penalty for such an offence. Perhaps the police hadn't followed proper procedure (eg. calibration of equipment) or perhaps they were just late for lunch.

I'm a bit jealous to be honest as the only time I've been done for speeding was from a mobile camera van when I got 3 points and a £60 fine for doing 72 in a 60 (dual-carriageway) on a glorious sunny day with dry roads and very little traffic. To me an experienced policeman wouldn't even have bothered checking speeds on that piece of road never mind prosecute. Total waste of time and just alienated me as a road user.

Thank your lucky stars and learn a lesson is my advice. Speeding at 42 in a 30 is pushing it I'd say. In my opinion it's better to do 100 on the motorway than 40 in a 30.

Craig.

big_malk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2005
Scotland
I was stopped in a similar way. The police hid behind a wall literally 5 foot from where the speed changed to/from 60... pretty dirty tricks to get their figures up if you ask me, but then people would argue speeding is speeding...

If they don't give you a ticket on the spot, your fine, different if it's a van with a camera in it or a permanent GATSO camera, where you'll get it in the post, for obvious reasons.

The 'ticket', whatever it's actual name, is actually an offer that instead of contesting it you will accept 3 points and a £60 fine, and not take up valuable court time where you risk a harsher penalty (I'm sure they don't word it like that, but that's what they want).

I'm told by a police officer that if you ask that they show you the record of your speed on their camera, and proof that it was calibrated within the last 24 hours, and they can't (wait till they measure someone else's speed ;) ) your almost guaranteed to have your case dropped on technicalities if you wanted to take it to court...

Jav6

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2014
Pulled over for overtaking

I got pulled over yday for overtaking the car in front of me and as said by the officer going through a touchy red light. he asked for my license and done all the checks and then spoke to me for 5 mins

he did not give me NIP or paperwork. nothing at all

is that the end of it? or will I get something in the post?

Alex.Ramsay

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2020
Pulled over for overtaking

I got pulled over yday for overtaking the car in front of me and as said by the officer going through a touchy red light. he asked for my license and done all the checks and then spoke to me for 5 mins

he did not give me NIP or paperwork. nothing at all

is that the end of it? or will I get something in the post?
Had the exact same thing happen,although I was in the wrong lane at a set of lights and realised this late which meant that I panicked a little and sped through the light as it was turning red. I continued along the road, admittedly I was probably driving faster than I should have been, when the police car tuned up behind me with lights on and pulled me over. The officer got out of his car and asked for my driving license and asked if I was aware I was going over the speed limit and then quoted my speed but didn’t say how he knew that. He made no mention to prosecution or tickets or any other officiating terminology, he just asked if I was the owner which I replied yes to, and then asked if my home address was still correct and it was. Then he said to just watch my speed and to be careful as there were youngsters going about who were drunk from the Saturday evening. I had just finished shift at the time, and he asked why i did and I told him I worked in the hospital in the city. He asked me if I was in a rush to get home after my shift and I said I probably was because it had been a long day. I don’t know whether I should expect to receive some form of court summons, some sort of document in the post, or whether I’ve been given points on my diving license or whether I’ve been given a verbal warning. I had expected that he’d issue me with some form of ticket or that he’d tell me what the ramifications or what the penalty I’d be getting was? Can anyone advise??

Bcam1010

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2021
Hay, I was doing 80 in a 30 he quoted that. He didn’t say where he got that information from. I was a fair distance ahead, however as soon as I saw the lights I knew it was for me so I pulled over, he came next to me shouted and me, but I was compliant and very sorry. He then drove off, without asking for information or too see my driving license. This was all around 9:40pm when no one was on the road. The question is will I get a notice or a ticket in the post. He didn’t mention anything about one however, Iam conceded.
please help, first time using a forum

Bcam1010

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2021
Probably not, even though you definitely deserve it.
If he had a way to demonstrate your speed, and you really did 80 in a 30 zone, he would have made you walk home.
Calm your speed down before you kill someone.
Honestly I will, I love driving... don’t want it taken away so if it’s a verbal warning.... I’ve learnt my lesson

Abest10

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2021
Hi, I’m curious to know what happened in the end as something similar happened to me tonight. Was on slight autopilot and went through a red light and realised late and braked. Was pulled over by an unmarked police car but he spoke with me for a bit and didn’t mention anything about fines/fixed penalty notices etc. Also didn’t take any details so not sure if I’ve been given a warning of sorts or if I’ll get something in the post. I just would expect to be told that if they pulled me over?

Abbylinton

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2021
Hi, I’m curious to know what happened in the end as something similar happened to me tonight. Was on slight autopilot and went through a red light and realised late and braked. Was pulled over by an unmarked police car but he spoke with me for a bit and didn’t mention anything about fines/fixed penalty notices etc. Also didn’t take any details so not sure if I’ve been given a warning of sorts or if I’ll get something in the post. I just would expect to be told that if they pulled me over?
Hi, exactly the same thing happened to me with an unmarked police car I was speeding and he just spoke to me and went on his way, I did ask if he would like my license to which he replied no and didn’t take any details. I’m just worried I will get something in the post also, did you receive anything in the post of hear anything?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.