Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Let's Sekuhara!

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2008
日本
Recently got a Time Capsule and set it up. It was painless to get the wireless network up. My Mac (and even my old PC) recognizes it without problems. They are now wireless and happily sharing the internet connection.

Now I'm trying to set up Time Machine to do backups, but the Time Capsule is not showing up anywhere. Not on my desktop, not under Devices, and not in Time Machine when it scans for drives to use.

Google searches yield no relevant results, and there is no mention in the manual about how to use it for backups, only how to set up the wireless network. Maybe it is assumed that it's too simple to require explanation - fine assumption unless the device won't even show up!

Please help? :(

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
Have you enabled File Sharing? Go into AirPort Utility > Manual Setup > Disks and make sure your TC's HDD is listed. Second, make sure that File Sharing is enabled in the File Sharing tab. Lastly, if all these methods haven't worked, try giving the Time Capsule and its HDD short (ie, 8 characters or less, no spaces or apostrophes) names and try it all again. Best of luck!

Edit: If the HDD isn't showing up, try doing a reset of the Time Capsule. Press the recessed button on the back of the unit for a couple of seconds and wait for it to reboot.

Let's Sekuhara!

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2008
日本
So far, no luck. I launched AirPort Utility and for some reason TC won't even show up now. Tried turning it off and on again and re-scanning. Tried resetting TC by putting a paperclip in the magic hole and then re-scanning. No joy.

So I'm now worse off than before and I haven't even changed any settings since last time! (I'm connecting to the internet on somebody else's WiFi network right now.)

Let's Sekuhara!

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2008
日本
Update

I'm back to being able to connect to the internet through my TC. I had to manually choose my wireless network from the OS X menu bar and then rescan. Seems backwards, but it worked.

Some progress was made with Time Capsule's drive as well. It now shows up in Finder under "Shared Devices". (It shows up whether I'm using the 8-character short name or not, so I don't think that's a problem.)
However, when I click on it, it momentarily says "Connecting..." and then soon after, "Connection Failed".

How now, brown cow?

Let's Sekuhara!

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2008
日本
Success!

It's working!

I did two things:
- A Time Capsule update
- Reset the network password (I think this is what solved it)

I still have to do a backup to fully test it, but I don't expect to have any problems from here on out. Time Capsule is showing up as a drive on my desktop. :D

goinskiing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Meridian, ID
Just to add...

I was having the same problem where i the AirPort utility on my 1TB TimeCapsule. The Time Capsule disc did not even show as mounted in the utility. I tired several things and the thing that fixed it was unplugging the Time Capsule and the disk showed right up. After that the Time Capsule disc showed in the Time Machine backup, voila!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.