Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

big_malk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2005
Scotland
I have My Mac Pro sitting on the floor beside my desk, but I'd like to move it up a bit to get it away from the dust and crap it's regularly sucking up. I don't want to sacrifice desk space, and I don't think my desk is suitably sized or strong enough for the hanging solutions.

What I'd like is something to sit it on, it has to be strong enough (obviously) and near enough the same size because there isn't much spare room where it sits. Has anyone found anything like this? Like a conveniently shaped single drawer unit?

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
There are a few products here. Some even hang under the desk, or even swivel. :)

Might give you a couple of ideas. ;)

kd_rome

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2004
I bought this recently : http://www.provantage.com/sonnet-cuff-pro~7SONT05P.htm and i put it under my ikea desk. It's the best out there in my opinion, it also comes with a steel cable to hook the mac to the frame and lock it.

edit: here some pics:
m03369.jpg
maccuffpro_tn.jpg

big_malk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2005
Scotland
I bought this recently : http://www.provantage.com/sonnet-cuff-pro~7SONT05P.htm and i put it under my ikea desk. It's the best out there in my opinion, it also comes with a steel cable to hook the mac to the frame and lock it.

What desk do you have? I have the Galant corner desk, but I don't think I could fix that to the underside if it just screws to the wood? The metal frame would be in the way unless I hung it sideways at the front or back, which would be too inconvenient.

And the tower is a beast, I'd be wary about trusting the fixtures unless it fixed onto the metal desk frame?

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
What desk do you have? I have the Galant corner desk, but I don't think I could fix that to the underside if it just screws to the wood? The metal frame would be in the way unless I hung it sideways at the front or back, which would be too inconvenient.

And the tower is a beast, I'd be wary about trusting the fixtures unless it fixed onto the metal desk frame?
What does the framing look like where it mounts to the top of the desk?
What type of legs did you use?
(Pics might help. ;))
From what I can see of the images on IKEA, it looks like it wouldn't be a problem with the T legs. Not sure about A legs. :confused:

BTW, if you look at the first item listed here, it has a smaller mounting plate than the sonnet part. Might help.
It also locks, and it's cheaper too. :D

Dark Dragoon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2006
UK

I have a Galant table, glass top + T legs from IKEA, I bought the summera computer holder to hold my Mac Pro, it attaches to the metal frame of the desk.

Attachments

• IMG_7273.jpg
    IMG_7273.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 1,103

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
Dark Dragoon:

That's perfect for the OP! :eek: :)
Does what he wants, looks good with that desk, and the price...:D

big_malk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2005
Scotland
What does the framing look like where it mounts to the top of the desk?
What type of legs did you use?
(Pics might help. ;))
From what I can see of the images on IKEA, it looks like it wouldn't be a problem with the T legs. Not sure about A legs. :confused:

BTW, if you look at the first item listed here, it has a smaller mounting plate than the sonnet part. Might help.
It also locks, and it's cheaper too. :D

I have those T legs like in the picture, under the wood the frame extends right to the ends and comes close the the front and back edges, so I don't think there's enough room to fix anything there.

I'd rather have it lifted up from below and stay where it is than be under my desk anyway:p

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
I have those T legs like in the picture, under the wood the frame extends right to the ends and comes close the the front and back edges, so I don't think there's enough room to fix anything there.

I'd rather have it lifted up from below and stay where it is than be under my desk anyway:p
The image you posted shows the framing well. :p
The OP wanted his off the floor using the same desk, so your post should be ideal. ;)

big_malk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2005
Scotland
I have a Galant table, glass top + T legs from IKEA, I bought the summera computer holder to hold my Mac Pro, it attaches to the metal frame of the desk.

seeing as that's my desk that'd probably be the best option :D didn't see that when I bought my desk :/

Can you mount it at the end facing out? It looks like it's be possible but the pictures only show it facing in or hanging at the edge, where the frame wouldn't interfere?

Thanks!

gangst

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2004
UK
I roughly remember a PowerMac G5 on a trolley. It was a wooden like stand on wheels. It was ideal, if I could find it I would definitely buy it as after cleaning my PowerMac out it was absolutely full of fluff, dust and crap.

ventro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2006
A more targeted solution would be to install a dust filter in the mac pro. I went to the local hardware store, purchased a dust filter, cut it to size, and installed it inside the mac pro. It's very easy to remove the fan assembly and place the dust filter, then replace the fan assembly. Now my mac is dust free and looks just as good!

Dark Dragoon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2006
UK
seeing as that's my desk that'd probably be the best option :D didn't see that when I bought my desk :/

Can you mount it at the end facing out? It looks like it's be possible but the pictures only show it facing in or hanging at the edge, where the frame wouldn't interfere?

Thanks!
You can mount it 3 different ways.

As well as the two pictured on the IKEA website, it can also slot into the frame at the end of the desk (you remove the plastic end caps). If you look at the underside of the frame at the end, you should be able to see the two holes in the frame where you bolt it in place.

I think this is the way you want it, so from my picture the computer would be further to the right on the other side of the leg.

Edit: Here is a photo of the instruction booklet showing the third way of attaching it.

Attachments

• IMG_7275.jpg
    IMG_7275.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 415

big_malk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2005
Scotland
You can mount it 3 different ways.

As well as the two pictured on the IKEA website, it can also slot into the frame at the end of the desk (you remove the plastic end caps). If you look at the underside of the frame at the end, you should be able to see the two holes in the frame where you bolt it in place.

I think this is the way you want it, so from my picture the computer would be further to the right on the other side of the leg.

Edit: Here is a photo of the instruction booklet showing the third way of attaching it.

Yeah that's what I was hoping it would work like :)
Thanks for posting the instruction manual aswell!

Think I'll head thru to ikea and get that when I get a chance :)
Thanks for all your advice!

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT

edit: here some pics:
m03369.jpg
maccuffpro_tn.jpg

That is a perfect setup for my desk (not sarcasm) and it's only $100! (sarcasm). That's a cool idea I'd rather try and make myself out of metal and screws rather than pay $100 for $8 of sheet metal. Oh, and a steel cable.

kd_rome

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2004
That is a perfect setup for my desk (not sarcasm) and it's only $100! (sarcasm). That's a cool idea I'd rather try and make myself out of metal and screws rather than pay $100 for $8 of sheet metal. Oh, and a steel cable.

I have a 2xQuad 3.2GHz Mac Pro Harpertown, , 10GB RAM, 30" Apple Cinema Display, 4x1TB internal HD and 4TB external RAID, do you think that $100 is a big deal?

The Mac Pro is a piece of modern art, and I'd love to have it in front of me on the desk, but for obvious reasons I can't, so I have to have it under the desk.

The MacCuff Pro is a very elegant choise other than functional and made of steel.

What you are saying reminds me so much about the typical phrase we find on the forum...Why do you buy a Mac if you can get a faster?!? build-a-roni PC for cheaper?!?

Check around you'll find the answer...

kd_rome

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2004

Hi Big Malk, I have a Galant too, I had to drill the holes on the metal frames (i used the same screws, nothing special) , it's really solid and it's the same exact color of the ikea frame.

IMG_4108.jpg
IMG_4107.jpg
IMG_4106.jpg
IMG_4105.jpg
IMG_4104.jpg

big_malk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2005
Scotland
Hi Big Malk, I have a Galant too, I had to drill the holes on the metal frames (i used the same screws, nothing special) , it's really solid and it's the same exact color of the ikea frame.

IMG_4108.jpg
IMG_4107.jpg
IMG_4106.jpg
IMG_4105.jpg
IMG_4104.jpg

That does look really tidy the way it just hangs and doesn't have anything coming down beside it, but I have the corner version of the desk, so I have to sit at the end and it would be in the way of my legs as I sit there :(

kd_rome

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2004
That does look really tidy the way it just hangs and doesn't have anything coming down beside it, but I have the corner version of the desk, so I have to sit at the end and it would be in the way of my legs as I sit there :(

I have both the ikea corner desk and the standard one you see in the pictures, you could put the mount right under the laptop you see here or that's where you seat?
22574_PE107432_S3.jpg

big_malk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2005
Scotland
I have both the ikea corner desk and the standard one you see in the pictures, you could put the mount right under the laptop you see here or that's where you seat?
22574_PE107432_S3.jpg

Yeah that's where I sit, I have my displays along the long side, and a drawer unit under the shorter bit round the corner.

I think the Summera computer holder suggested by Dark Dragoon looks like the easiest (and cheapest) solution, I just wonder how neat it will look sticking out the end, and my UPS wouldn't look as neat sitting on the floor beside it when it's lifted up :rolleyes: guess a cleaner and more gunk free Mac Pro is worth a little less neatness!

kd_rome

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2004
The Ikea stand is not that bad, and if you end up not liking it you can always bring it back!

rsmcool

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2009
Base

Guys, I'm looking for something to go at the bottom. Such as a base, or a pedestal. Thxs.

j2048b

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2009
Cali
A more targeted solution would be to install a dust filter in the mac pro. I went to the local hardware store, purchased a dust filter, cut it to size, and installed it inside the mac pro. It's very easy to remove the fan assembly and place the dust filter, then replace the fan assembly. Now my mac is dust free and looks just as good!

do you have any pics of this set up wih the dust stuff installed?

also what kind of filter (rating, how thick? material filter is made of?

thanks

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan

If you have a router I think you can make this out of a piece of oak in just a few minutes - and for like $20 or less. You could do it with a handsaw if you used two pieces of oak instead of one wide one. I say oak but many hardish woods would work - like pallet wood if you can find it free. I guess the design is easy to understand? I may draw what I'm thinking a little later - might be fun.

There would be less potential for scratching you MP's case too! The metal one doesn't look like it's going to be so nice to your mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.