Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
Hey everyone, I've been having a problem the last couple weeks of having my iPhone 3G. I can't download apps through the AppStore on the iPhone itself. This happens whether I am connected through EDGE, 3G, and even WiFi.

After I select an app to download, the progress bar goes almost the whole way saying "Installing" and then hangs at the end. It then displays the dialogue box you see in the screenshot.

Also, I have reset/turned off my iPhone multiple times, so that doesn't seem to fix this issue.

PS: My backups are still also taking forever, it might be related to this issue because iTunes app store and the app store on my phone constantly have to sync/delete because they never bloody work correctly.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.PNG
    IMG_0001.PNG
    129.3 KB · Views: 225

Moria

macrumors regular
May 7, 2005
Glasgow, Scotland
I've been having exactly the same problem. And not only this, for some reason if I download an update for an App on iTunes it won't let it sync over to the iPhone. The only way to get it to work is to delete it from both and start fresh.

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
I've been having exactly the same problem. And not only this, for some reason if I download an update for an App on iTunes it won't let it sync over to the iPhone. The only way to get it to work is to delete it from both and start fresh.

Yup, exactly the same.

StingerT125

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2008
Dutchess County New York
Well, unfortunately, I don't have any advice for your download problem... but I can tell you that everybody has long back ups... so you're not alone there =)

Not everybody, I have seven pages of applications and my phone backs ups and syncs in less than 10 minutes.

Hey everyone, I've been having a problem the last couple weeks of having my iPhone 3G. I can't download apps through the AppStore on the iPhone itself. This happens whether I am connected through EDGE, 3G, and even WiFi.

After I select an app to download, the progress bar goes almost the whole way saying "Installing" and then hangs at the end. It then displays the dialogue box you see in the screenshot.

Also, I have reset/turned off my iPhone multiple times, so that doesn't seem to fix this issue.

PS: My backups are still also taking forever, it might be related to this issue because iTunes app store and the app store on my phone constantly have to sync/delete because they never bloody work correctly.

I haven't seen that yet, but I've been trying to do most of my App downloading through iTunes.

WhySoSerious

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Dallas, TX

this has happened to me a few times and from each of my experiences (probably about 7-10 times) the reason I got that message was because my connection timed out.

now, i eventually got those apps to d/l, but it required me to re-click the install button and have a clean internet connection throughout the entire process.

my guess is, you're just dropping a connection.....even if it's just for a few seconds.

SFC Archer

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2007
Troy, MT
I have posted this on several threads:

Do NOT use the App store on your iPhone to purchase/update Apps...use iTunes only.

I was having the same issues as stated above and every time I got the hang up my iPhone crashed and had to go through a complete restore as new iPhone.

Since I stopped using the App store on the iPHone, I have had zero crashes, my backups are 10 minutes or less with 4 pages of apps. Updating my apps through iTunes has also done away with App crashes of Apps that I had downloaded through the iPhone.

Try it for your self...uninstall (do not delete) every App purchased through your iPhone and re-download it through iTunes and install. Do not update Apps through iTunes and see if that fixes your problem.

Has worked great for me....so far!

WhySoSerious

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Dallas, TX

Do NOT use the App store on your iPhone to purchase/update Apps...use iTunes only.

I was having the same issues as stated above and every time I got the hang up my iPhone crashed and had to go through a complete restore as new iPhone.

Since I stopped using the App store on the iPHone, I have had zero crashes, my backups are 10 minutes or less with 4 pages of apps. Updating my apps through iTunes has also done away with App crashes of Apps that I had downloaded through the iPhone.

Try it for your self...uninstall (do not delete) every App purchased through your iPhone and re-download it through iTunes and install. Do not update Apps through iTunes and see if that fixes your problem.

that seems quite extreme and not indicitive of everyone i would surmise.

in fact, i ONLY d/l via the iphone.....NOT itunes. and after every app d/l and install, i reboot my iphone.

NEVER had to restore or had death crashes. nor have i ever had a backup take longer than 5 minutes.

pavvento

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2007

Can you explain how to uninstall as opposed to deleting? I usually just hit the X on the app after holding it down.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Are you logged into your iTunes account when you sync your iPhone? This is important. It will take your iTunes login and country setting from iTunes, so make sure you're logged into your own nation's store before you sync next time.

That might be the problem?

icewing

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2008
St Louis

Agree. New phone, backups took anywhere from 30 mins to 2 hours with 5 pages of apps. I had downloaded a few when I first got the phone, before syncing it to iTunes. After I deleted the apps that I had downloaded, and deleted the backups as posted in other threads, now my complete backup and sync takes about 6 minutes, with 44 apps and almost 4 gig of music.

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus

You do realize that this is exactly the issue I want to fix, right? I'm glad you have found it an acceptable solution, but I really don't consider not using the AppStore on the iPhone at all a solution to the AppStore on the iPhone not working...

SFC Archer

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2007
Troy, MT
Can you explain how to uninstall as opposed to deleting? I usually just hit the X on the app after holding it down.

First go into your iTunes settings and disable automatic sync. Then plug your iPhone in to iTunes and go over to the Applications Tab. Change your selection to Sync only selected applications. Now to uninstall an App, just uncheck it and it will uninstall on your next sync.

You do realize that this is exactly the issue I want to fix, right? I'm glad you have found it an acceptable solution, but I really don't consider not using the AppStore on the iPhone at all a solution to the App Store on the iPhone not working...

I totally understand what you are attempting to fix, but this is a simple solution until Apple releases the next update. There is a sync compatibility issue between iPhone App downloads/updates and iTunes download/updates. The 2.0.x software and 7.7.x software are BROKE and until there is an update, it you do not want your stated problems, then don't use the iPhone App store.

For those of you that like to be negative...If yours IS WORKING and you haven't had to RESTORE then disregard this post...It is meant for users that are having issues, NOT for you to criticize cause you have nothing better to do. Either help users or stay OFF the boards. Grow up

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.