Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mountainmanchad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2008
I've been looking for a straight answer.

What is the best and easiest 32" HDTV 1080p to hook up to a 17" powerbook with a high-resolution 1920x1200 pixel display for Final Cut and 3D design work. What cables or interface items would be required to make this happen?

I love my powerbook but would would like a alternative to the apple cinema displays.

Thanks in advance!

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
I've been looking for a straight answer.

What is the best and easiest 32" HDTV 1080p to hook up to a 17" powerbook with a high-resolution 1920x1200 pixel display for Final Cut and 3D design work. What cables or interface items would be required to make this happen?

I love my powerbook but would would like a alternative to the apple cinema displays.

Thanks in advance!

For detailed work, HDTVs just don't seem to have the right dot pitch (or something). This is very subjective but we've tried several Sharp and Samsung 1080P HDTVs (32 & up) and found a good 24/25 inch 1080p monitor beats them every time. Your mileage may vary.

Try connecting your Mac at the local BestBuy. We tried stores in Atlanta and Orlando and they allowed us to. Bring your own cables. Looks great with movies and games but anything with text and pictures (just seemed a bit fuzzy).

Good hunting

mountainmanchad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2008
That was quick!

thanks for the info...
It will get me started looking in the right direction! :)

rolex54

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2007
Houston, TX
I have my mac mini hooked up to a 32" sharp lcd3262u is the model I think, I love it, everything works and looks great. It was just plugin and it worked, I am using an DVI-->HDMI cable with the audio out going to the tv speakers for sound. I this same setup should work on a powerbook

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2008
UK
a PC Monitor will do a far better job, as the PPI is alot higher, giving you crisp images.

Also, 1080p is 1920 x 1080, not 1920 x 1200

katorga

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2006
I've been looking at the Sony and Aquos 32" 1080p's...what I found:

- gaming is amazing on these. Set far back on your desk. You need 36-46" view distances.
- color reproduction is poor
- make sure you use the "game" port. The video processors will dynamically adjust things based on what is on the screen so that when you open a large solid white window the brightness fluctuates; ditto for large dark images. Using the game port bypasses the video processors in the display.

All said, a 24" LCD like the Dell or Gateway is a better deal. Half the price with a higher dot pitch and somewhat better color reproduction.

Firefly2002

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2008
For detailed work, HDTVs just don't seem to have the right dot pitch (or something). This is very subjective but we've tried several Sharp and Samsung 1080P HDTVs (32 & up) and found a good 24/25 inch 1080p monitor beats them every time. Your mileage may vary.

Try connecting your Mac at the local BestBuy. We tried stores in Atlanta and Orlando and they allowed us to. Bring your own cables. Looks great with movies and games but anything with text and pictures (just seemed a bit fuzzy).

Good hunting

I imagine you're probably right, though I think at 32" the dot pitch could be decent.

Just compare it to the old (non-progressive scan) 480i TVs. Yikes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.