Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iSaga

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 25, 2008
I try connecting to my locked wireless network and keep getting the unable to connect to wireless network message. I have put in the WEP key and always get that message, if I unsecure the network I can connect but not when it is secure.

Anybody know of a remedy for this issue?

iSaga

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 25, 2008
My issue has been going on for weeks and has nothing to do with iPhone data being down in the US. I have 3G and Edge data with no issues, the issue I am having is connecting to my wireless network.

arubinst

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2008
Lausanne - Switzerland
Are you using a WEP passphrase or the hex key?

Use the hex key instead and you should be fine. Your wireless AP/router should give you a hex key derived from the passphrase.

Joe23

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2007
Wireless passwords are case-sensitive I believe, have you checked this?

Pared

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
Make sure you're not using MAC filtering. If you are, it will not connect until the MAC address is in there.

iSaga

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 25, 2008
Thanks to the previous two posters for trying to help, I am entering the hex key and I did enter it as case sensitive, still can't connect though. I have had this problem since i got the new iPhone, I have just kept my network unsecure. I wanted to secure it though and am still unable to connect my iPhone though. I can't figure out why.

iSaga

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 25, 2008
Make sure you're not using MAC filtering. If you are, it will not connect until the MAC address is in there.

Not sure I understand what this means, can you elaborate a little?

Pared

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
If you don't know what MAC filtering is you're probably not using it. Don't worry about it.

EDIT: Not trying to be rude, FYI.

arubinst

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2008
Lausanne - Switzerland
Thanks to the previous two posters for trying to help, I am entering the hex key and I did enter it as case sensitive, still can't connect though. I have had this problem since i got the new iPhone, I have just kept my network unsecure. I wanted to secure it though and am still unable to connect my iPhone though. I can't figure out why.
Passwords are case sensitive. Keys are not. Just make sure you're entering the key using the right format.

Are you entering the key like this?

A1:B2:C3:E4:F5

or like this?

A1B2C3E4F5

This last format is the one you should be using. I repeat, this is not case sensitive.

One other question. Are you using a 40 (64) bit key or a 104 (128) bit key. If you're using a 104 bit key, then you should have 26 HEX chars and not 10 .

One final comment. You really, really, REALLY want to use WPA instead of WEP. Trust me, using WEP or no security at all are more or less the same.

iSaga

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 25, 2008
Passwords are case sensitive. Keys are not. Just make sure you're entering the key using the right format.

Are you entering the key like this?

A1:B2:C3:E4:F5

or like this?

A1B2C3E4F5

This last format is the one you should be using. I repeat, this is not case sensitive.

One other question. Are you using a 40 (64) bit key or a 104 (128) bit key. If you're using a 104 bit key, then you should have 26 HEX chars and not 10 .

One final comment. You really, really, REALLY want to use WPA instead of WEP. Trust me, using WEP or no security at all are more or less the same.

Thanks for the bit of advice, I really know nothing about this kind of stuff. I was using a 40 bit key and entered it like this..

A1B2C3E4F5 both case sensitive and not case sensitive, still unable to connect it.

Per your advice I switched to WPA. Thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.