Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SoonerStud

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2008
the buyers guide says to wait because it's toward the end of a product cycle, but I haven't heard anthing about an update to it. Is there anything in the works or rumored as far as an update?

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
People are saying that the 160GB drive is the biggest drive that will fit in the current Classic. Not sure if we will see a capacity increase after reading those posts.

fpbecker

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2008
Frankfurt, Germany
Who knows if there will be an iPod Classic any more after September 9th? I wouldn't put it past Apple Inc. to retire the Classic and offer bigger iPod Touch models instead.

SAChopper

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2008
Who knows if there will be an iPod Classic any more after September 9th? I wouldn't put it past Apple Inc. to retire the Classic and offer bigger iPod Touch models instead.

My local reseller thought that may be the case.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado

In that case, I will never stop using my 160GB classic. I don't need a Touch, never wanted one. I have two iPhones for that reason, each with different music. I hope they keep the Classic.

fluidedge

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
A 320GB would be cool but really not many people would want it. It has uses as a portable HDD but really not many people use it in that fashion.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Classic EOL'd and the mini/nano/whatever's coming to be pushed up to 64GB - the specs/cases we've seen so far look big enough to fit the tech for 64GB.

But then i know people who do have more than 64GB of ipod media (those simpsons box sets really add up :) ) so i don't know where that would leave them as the touch is unlikely to hit 128GB this year or next imo

carlosbutler

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2008
would it not make sense for apple inc to carry on using hard drives, but only have 100gb and 200gb models with a new curvy design. then when SSD are a lot cheaper then they get rid of classic, or they could even get rid of the name touch and just make the classic a big touch screen.

i can only presume that whenever apple change over to SSD for classic or their equivalents, they are either going to keep the same memory capacity or increase, they will not decrease. hence the reason that they will probably not go for such big new classics. for all we know they could keep the current sizes, and start to get rid of the 80gb, or 160gb or anything.

no one knows - maybe they should make a film on it called the A-Files - wont be any difference in the quality of the story...:p

fluidedge

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
i certainly think the classics days are numbered but that design has been around in one shape or another for years now. I'd like to see a full screen but without all the web browser/wifi stuff. I suppose it's not much more expensive to include that and it of course opens up the itunes store = $$$

MacBass

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2005
La Crosse, WI
would it not make sense for apple inc to carry on using hard drives, but only have 100gb and 200gb models with a new curvy design. then when SSD are a lot cheaper then they get rid of classic, or they could even get rid of the name touch and just make the classic a big touch screen.

i can only presume that whenever apple change over to SSD for classic or their equivalents, they are either going to keep the same memory capacity or increase, they will not decrease. hence the reason that they will probably not go for such big new classics. for all we know they could keep the current sizes, and start to get rid of the 80gb, or 160gb or anything.

no one knows - maybe they should make a film on it called the A-Files - wont be any difference in the quality of the story...:p

I doubt that Apple would drop the "Touch" name in favor of the "Classic" name...I think they would rather keep the "Touch", because the "Classic" is the classic iPod design. The Touch is only about a year old, hardly a classic design. The future? Probably, but not yet a classic. If they do add some physical volume buttons, a HDD-loaded Touch wouldn't be a bad idea in my mind, so to have a higher capacity iPod still in Apple's arsenal. Granted, once SSD's become cheaper than HDD's, then Apple will most likely adopt SSD exclusively.

SoonerStud

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2008
I'd like to see a touch in 80 GB, that'd be sweet, except for the fact that i'm in college and no way could i afford whatever that would be, lol

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
No way they drop the classic. My guess is that you will see a price cut and maybe better battery life. The craziest thing that I think could happen would be dropping the 80 GB and lowering the 160 to the 80 price point.

I am waiting to buy one for those reasons.

donga

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2005
AZ
there is still a market out there for people who want to carry their entire media libraries with them. it would be silly for apple to mess with the classic that has helped the brand tremendously

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
No way they drop the classic. My guess is that you will see a price cut and maybe better battery life. The craziest thing that I think could happen would be dropping the 80 GB and lowering the 160 to the 80 price point.

I am waiting to buy one for those reasons.

Agree with you and am waiting for much the same reasons.

there is still a market out there for people who want to carry their entire media libraries with them. it would be silly for apple to mess with the classic that has helped the brand tremendously

Again, I agree. The classic appeals to a different section (dare I say demographic) of the market and has an enduring appeal; Apple would be indeed silly to discontinue this excellent product. However, given their history of unpredictable innovation and unexpected termination of what seemed popular and necessary features (remember floppy drives, anyone?) I'm not sure we can predict this one with any degree of certainty.
Cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.