Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ENY7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
Hey Guys,

I just started playing SC... and while I've had it for a few years I've never actually installed it before a few weeks ago in preparation for SC2 which looks amazing. I've always played WC3 so I was wondering if there was a way to do teams in Single Player mode? Or are there no allies in SC unlike WC3? :confused:

Thanks!

jeffuwee

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2008
no you cannot do team in single player mode. im not sure but there may be a third party application but probably not because starcraft is really old. best bet is to play battlenet :D

imassents

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2008
You can do teams wtf you on about? Use the game mode top vs bottom instead of melee. Computers can handle top vs bottom fine.

To do this you need to host a LAN game like so
- Click multiplayer
- Choose Brood/Starcraft
- Select Local Area Network UDP/IP and click OK
- Choose a Profile (or make one) and select it
- Find a map you wish to play (computers can only play melee maps - not UMS)
- Change the game type to Top vs Bottom and choose the size of teams
- Host the game
- Add computers
- Start

Be warned though, the spawns are random and the computers are terrible at teamwork. But it's Starcraft so it's still fun either way.

jeffuwee

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2008
lol topvsbottom isn't really teams but okay whatever works for you i guess.

bokdol

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
VA
You can do teams wtf you on about? Use the game mode top vs bottom instead of melee. Computers can handle top vs bottom fine.

- Click multiplayer

lol. yeah i dont think your paying attention to his post. your talking about multiplayer. as you point out in you first step. he is talking about single player co-op mode. which there is none as far as i know for sc 1. well thats what i get when he said

"I was wondering if there was a way to do teams in Single Player mode?"

jeffuwee

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2008
okay. so the answer to your question is no. you cannot do teams with computers in single player starcraft. that's why it's called single player.

imassents

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2008
lol. yeah i dont think your paying attention to his post. your talking about multiplayer. as you point out in you first step. he is talking about single player co-op mode. which there is none as far as i know for sc 1. well thats what i get when he said

I read it perfectly well. Have you played Starcraft, specifically Top vs Bottom? If all humans are replaced with computers, wouldn't it be a singleplayer match? Just because it's setup via the multiplayer menu, doesn't mean it's not a singleplayer setup.

Just to clarify, Top vs Bottom allows 1 human with X computer allies vs X computer enemies - which is a team game.

Why not try it before criticising my post...

donga

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2005
AZ
random note: i'm happy that people are still playing sc 10+ years after its release. great game. i hope sc2 can exceed the expectations...

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
sadly i do, i enjoy watching replays of the leagues on youtube. julyzerg is my fav

Just checking :)

I bet you celebrated when he won his 3rd OSL and the second Golden Mouse in the history of Starcraft Progaming :D ;)

jbucaran

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2008
random note: i'm happy that people are still playing sc 10+ years after its release. great game. i hope sc2 can exceed the expectations...

Yeah I hear you man, it's been a while since I played SC and many of my students at school are talking about this new hot game Starcraft 2 :p and they find me amazing when I tell them that I used to play SC a long time ago.

donga

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2005
AZ
Just checking :)

I bet you celebrated when he won his 3rd OSL and the second Golden Mouse in the history of Starcraft Progaming :D ;)

that was pretty awesome, total pwnage and ingenuity and timing, etc.

he didn't even wait to be presented with it, just went there and grabbed it. :)

bokdol

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
VA
I read it perfectly well. Have you played Starcraft, specifically Top vs Bottom? If all humans are replaced with computers, wouldn't it be a singleplayer match? Just because it's setup via the multiplayer menu, doesn't mean it's not a singleplayer setup.

wow. sorry if i came off as criticizing. but i read his post differently. i assumed he wanted a co-op mode in single-player. (mybad) not play a single match with 2 people. so sorry if i got you mad. i did not get what he was saying. and yes i have played starcraft t v b.

Just to clarify, Top vs Bottom allows 1 human with X computer allies vs X computer enemies - which is a team game.

Why not try it before criticising my post...

it would be one player on a multiplayer map. slightly different then "Single Player Mode" i take that as the story or campaign modes in starcraft.

Col127

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2003

seriously. it's got amazing longevity. i still play with my buddy every now and then and we have a great time :)

Wolfgangcat

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2013
Try it

Hey... I tried what he said, it worked... I can play single player with teams, why don't you try it, genius?
Go to multiplayer
Choose brood or normal
Choose UDP, click ok
Choose your profile
Create a game, select top vs. bottom
Select how many people/computers a team
Change the open slots to computer
Select your and their race, click start game
Enjoy ^.^

----------

- Click multiplayer
- Choose Brood/Starcraft
- Select Local Area Network UDP/IP and click OK
- Choose a Profile (or make one) and select it
- Find a map you wish to play (computers can only play melee maps - not UMS)
- Change the game type to Top vs Bottom and choose the size of teams
- Host the game
- Add computers
- Start

Be warned though, the spawns are random and the computers are terrible at teamwork. But it's Starcraft so it's still fun either way.
Thank you, it worked for me. I was trying to figure out how to play single play with teams for a long time.

bokdol

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
VA
Hey... I tried what he said, it worked... I can play single player with teams, why don't you try it, genius?
Go to multiplayer
[/COLOR]
Thank you, it worked for me. I was trying to figure out how to play single play with teams for a long time.

is that vs computer? i was thinking single player campaign mode (story) with a partner.

well either way that cool.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.