Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macintoshxiii

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2006
I had tried to install the stupid dumb program Virus Barrier, however i already uninstalled but i still can see it when i right click on file.... Virus Barrier X4. How can i remove that? pls advise.... tried been to the home folder to llok at the contextual but nothing is there.... help!!!

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
in fact a couple of times rebooting.... what can i do???????

It's strange, it should be in one of the contextual menu items folders, the fact that it is not yet still shows up is very strange.

Have you tried using spotlight to find any files containing the name virus barrier?

You could also reinstall virus barrier and see if anything appears in contextual menu items then.

You could also try removing the finder's preference file, com.apple.finder.plist

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
There are three relevant Contextual Menu Items folders; one for each Library. Give us a list of each folder's items so we can compare them to our own and tell you if perhaps it has been named something obscure.

macintoshxiii

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2006
There are three relevant Contextual Menu Items folders; one for each Library. Give us a list of each folder's items so we can compare them to our own and tell you if perhaps it has been named something obscure.

I've got nothing more that toast cm, stuffit cm, automator, fold action, graphic converter, spotlight.... that's all i can see....

Violette

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2007
U.S.A.
Removing Intego Virus Barrier

I also had this problem with the Virus Barrier software. You can't just drag it to the Trash to get rid of it. The only thing that worked for me was to download the software again (had to go thru the whole darn registration process to get another link to the site). When you click on the desktop icon, as if installing the program again, an option comes up to uninstall.

This took care of the problem for me.:D

macintoshxiii

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2006
I also had this problem with the Virus Barrier software. You can't just drag it to the Trash to get rid of it. The only thing that worked for me was to download the software again (had to go thru the whole darn registration process to get another link to the site). When you click on the desktop icon, as if installing the program again, an option comes up to uninstall.

This took care of the problem for me.:D

Ok sure thanks... i did it...

noctrlfx

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2008
macintoshxiii, I too had the same problem but this is what I did to fix it.

removed Virus Barrier (in applications)
removed Net update (in applications)

also what the other guys have said in there posts the Contextual Menu Items in the library and also system/library
VirusBarrierCM
also remove from start up on your user name you login with.

then do a restart, know notice you still have the castle in the tool bar, to get rid of this there is a folder in system/library called intego drag this folder to trash.

restart the the castle will be gone.
hope this works for you

beemsterman

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2009
Still problems...

Hello,

I have the same problem. After uninstalling this application, the items still appear in the context menu....

Rene

MyMaria

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2009
Also found the Intego uninstaller very very helpful!

Curiosity killed the cat when I installed the antivirus when I was intrigued by it only to uninstall it immediately after because it slowed down my MB... a year later (that's today!) i did some cleaning on my mac and found out through the Activity Monitor that I still had virusbarriers running! And it was eating up so much of my MB's memory.. OMG.. I didn't even know it was still there all this time! *groan*

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.