Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beerbum

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2008
California, USA
Hi, i was recently reading through posts and someone pointed out to another member how cheap a iBook G4 is on ebay. I checked them out and saw that i could probably purchase one for less than $400 including shipping. I am just beginning to get familiar with apple hardware.

I'm just asking everyone's opinion if they think it is worth it? I also saw G3's are cheaper, but i remember a few times when i used a G3 in the past, it gave off a body odor smell. I thought it was just the user, but i encountered 4 with the same issue.

Hope i get some feedback, thanks.

hogmog

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2006
Thames Valley, UK
I am still running my iBook G3 600 and have only ever had one problem with it (touches wood). After about 2 yrs the HDD failed but with patience and ifixit's excellent instructions, replaced it with 80 gb drive no problem. Other than that it has been fine. Battery needs replacing so maybe something you need to take into account. Perhaps only other issue is web browser - Safari 1.3.2 which came with 10.3.x seems to crash relatively frequency but not sure whether it is actually a browser issue or site issue. May need to consider therefore 10.4.x or alternative browser. I have not encountered the odour issue - it rings faint bells so might be worth a search on this site. The machine struggles playing streaming video files from the net but other than that is still a capable work machine running Office 2004 and playing DVD at same time is fine.

beerbum

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2008
California, USA
I did a search on it, and even though the posts i found were from a year ago, they are describing exactly what i was.

http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=5025492

I spoke with a friend who works on apple's and said it can be a combination of the keyboard and cpu. He said the cpu has a small sponge that acts as the thermal compound, and when it dries up it begins to almost burn and then releases that smell. He said all you have to do is clean it off and put on some new thermal compound.

It does not seem that bad. I work on other laptops, and have done a couple macbooks, but i think if the iBook was in that state for a long time, most of the components would smell of that odor even after the fix.

donga

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2005
AZ
i'd go for the g4, it's worth it for the specs above the g3, and it'll probably last a little longer too

soberbrain

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2008
How long do you think i would get out of a g4? If i was to buy it within a month or so? At least a couple of years?

It all depends on what you are looking to use the machine for.

My girlfriend has an iBook G4 upgraded to Leopard that she using for basic things: email, web, word processing, listening to music, watching movies. It works well for her and she's not looking to upgrade anytime soon.

beerbum

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2008
California, USA
It all depends on what you are looking to use the machine for.

My girlfriend has an iBook G4 upgraded to Leopard that she using for basic things: email, web, word processing, listening to music, watching movies. It works well for her and she's not looking to upgrade anytime soon.

I'm looking to do the same things. I kind of wanted to have a smaller laptop than the one i have now (15.4" screen) to take to school. It does not seem to heavy on its on but added to two books and a couple of binders, i have a really heavy backpack.

Like i said, i'm still new to the hardware so i think an iBook g4 would be great to further my knowledge about them and then probably upgrade from there.

Also, on average on how long does a fully charged batter last for the iBook g4? I know if i buy one it could possibly have a bad or soon to be bad battery, but i just want to know how they do on average.

MacHappytjg

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2008
Winnipeg
I'm looking to do the same things. I kind of wanted to have a smaller laptop than the one i have now (15.4" screen) to take to school. It does not seem to heavy on its on but added to two books and a couple of binders, i have a really heavy backpack.

Like i said, i'm still new to the hardware so i think an iBook g4 would be great to further my knowledge about them and then probably upgrade from there.

Also, on average on how long does a fully charged batter last for the iBook g4? I know if i buy one it could possibly have a bad or soon to be bad battery, but i just want to know how they do on average.

Depends how good the battery is could be a hour depends mine lasts like 4 and a half to 5 hours but its my macbook one, And if u get a crappy battery buy a new one but try to find one with a bigger harddrive because there are ALOT of screws to upgrade the harddrive in a ibook, otherwise ram is easy.

dnguyen

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2008
my ibook g4 battery can last between 3-5 hours depending on the settings / what i'm using it for. i would go for the G4, it has served me well for the past 3 years.

you can probably get one for 300-400 pretty easily.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Go for the G4.

My second system is a G3/900 MHz. Kicks ass for web surfing, email and light tasks. No BO smell from mine.:D

Eric S.

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Santa Cruz Mountains, California
I had a 12" iBook G3 that gave me major problems, including a logic board replacement, and finally died altogether. I replaced it with a 14" 1.42GHz iBook G4 (the last model before the switch to Intel) that has been rock solid for two and a half years.

TheG3Guy

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2008
New Milford,CT
i have had both a ibook g3 and g4, and i can say that both are good. I have had the logic board problem but dont worry about it its an easy fix with online how to guides. If you are getting a G3, get a 800MHz or above. and dont pay more than 230$-----if you get a G4, get a 1GHz and dont pay more than 300. you'd really like it

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I just bought a G4. It will not be a my main machine, so I expect maybe 3 years from it?

I can't image why anyone would buy a G3 until it was $50 or less.

TheG3Guy

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2008
New Milford,CT
well not to contradict alpha there but I disagree, my G3 800MHz was incredible. it could do anything hte internet threw at it and was uite speedy on tiger. the G3 in the ibok is different than the imacs were....at least for me

Aea

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2007
Denver, Colorado
I love how these old threads always seem to bring out the old-machine brigade.

These machines were piss slow a year or two after their release, they're going to be useful for nothing but the most basic tasks now. At the very least get a G4.

If you need a laptop under the $500 mark, as much as it pains for me to say get a windows based one. Sites like newegg.com occasionally have normal (not netbook) sized laptops around the 13" size that go for $500. You're going to get vastly more performance out of these.

If you can at the least get an older Intel Macbook, that'll remain relevant much much longer.

airjuggernaut

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2007

These machines were piss slow a year or two after their release, they're going to be useful for nothing but the most basic tasks now. At the very least get a G4.

If you need a laptop under the $500 mark, as much as it pains for me to say get a windows based one. Sites like newegg.com occasionally have normal (not netbook) sized laptops around the 13" size that go for $500. You're going to get vastly more performance out of these.

If you can at the least get an older Intel Macbook, that'll remain relevant much much longer.
Perfect.

Exactly my thoughts.

MacHappytjg

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2008
Winnipeg

You sure u belong here :p, a g4 can do many things still it can run photoshop cs3, prefer cs2 on older, leopard can do manythings alot of people think there useless my friend uses a imac g3 400 40gb tiger 1gb, and runs flash 8, photoshop cs, and like ilife well since its all he really has its really good, i kinda just hate how everyone thinks old machines are useless.

dual64bit

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2004
You need a G4 867Mhz or higher to run Leopard.

Buy a PowerBook G4, they'll be under the $500 mark, and you could get a 1.0 or 1.33Ghz one.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
If you get an ibook G4, get the last version. It has built in blue tooth, scrolling trackpad and sudden motion sensor and usb 2.0. They also take 1.5gigs of memory.

The 12" ibook 1.33ghz and 14" 1.42ghz ibook are the last and best iBooks ever made.

Typically I have souped up an iBook 12" 1.33ghz with a fast hard drive and a dvd burning superdrive, effectively outmatching most of the specs of the last revision 12" Powerbook g4.

eidrunner247

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2006
Get a G4. The G3 ibooks had numerous logic board issues. I think those are a risky gamble you should avoid.

gonyr

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2006
Niagara County, NY
Definitely the g4. My wife and I still use our ibooks as our main computers. And we plan to do so for the foreseeable future. At least she does - as soon as there's a 10-inch or smaller macbook, I'm there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.