Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yoAlex

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2008
SoCal - The O.C.
so ... Sync to iTunes first ... Then install upgrade??? This will ensure your data entered is not wiped out due to the upgrade???

yoAlex

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2008
SoCal - The O.C.
Has anyone istalled the upgrade without losing their data? What procedure did you use ... Really nervous about losing all my stored data especially after reading the reviews in the app store.

contourrob

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2008
Lost it all

Just upgraded...lost HOURS of information that I input into this program in hopes of being able to sync it after the update. Wrong. I'm steaming.

:mad:

TreoRenegade

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2008
Installed directly to iphone. Once loaded, tapped the ewallet icon and it worked as usual, with NO loss of data. (FWIW, I never have a problem when I follow this procedure.)

Then went to the desktop version to set up. Click Sync from the menu, and read everything first. One caveat: Under that menu, see the last item: "Synchronized wallets". When you tap that option, you should see your desktop wallet. Tap "change". Use the 'edit" tab to be sure you set it up to sync in the desired direction (both ways, one overwrites the other...).

(Instructions {desktop} tell you how to work it to get an iphone-only wallet mirrored on your desktop.)

diesel

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 3, 2007
guys, i upgraded via itunes on my pc with no loss of data.

AdiGital

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2008
I lost it!

I just upgraded OTA and lost my wallet! :eek: I've been waiting for the update because my iPhone acted wiredly and I wanted to restore and register as new device in iTunes. Now what? Restore from last backup? Any suggestions?

AdiGital

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2008
This is just ridiculous! Just restored the backup. Got the old eWallet back with the data. Now it doesn't see any upgrades. The iTunes reports 4 new updates available but shows ony two and no eWallet!
I'm getting really mad! How can I resist a bad review? I previously gave it 5 stars!

Manatee

Contributor
Oct 20, 2003
Washington DC
Just upgraded...lost HOURS of information that I input into this program in hopes of being able to sync it after the update. Wrong. I'm steaming.

:mad:
I'm concerned about that too. I don't know where Apple went wrong with their architecture, but I frequently lose data when updating an applicaiton. It just happened to me last night when updating DataCase. At least with that one I just have to copy files back from my Mac to the iPhone.

Apple needs to do an update to the iPhone OS or SDK that absolutely secures data against anything that happens during an application update.

contourrob

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2008
Ouch, not good a d exactly my fear! Did you upgrade on the phone or via iTunes?

I upgraded directly from my iPhone. I've had success when upgrading other apps that contained user-input data too. This one just updated and then poof....all gone!

On another note: I'm confused as to how to 'sync' the phone with my desktop. I have the eWallet desktop version (for Windows). I have both the phone and the desktop connected to my home network. When I click 'add' on the desktop sync version it's asking for a path. What path do I type in to let it know to connect to the phone?

Thanks for any help.

LostLogik

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2008
On another note: I'm confused as to how to 'sync' the phone with my desktop. I have the eWallet desktop version (for Windows). I have both the phone and the desktop connected to my home network. When I click 'add' on the desktop sync version it's asking for a path. What path do I type in to let it know to connect to the phone?

Thanks for any help.

You don't need a path. Make sure you have a wallet open on your desktop with the same name as the one on your iPhone, press sync on the iPhone, it will ask you if you want to set up a pairing and will then give a code, press sync on the desktop, click "ADD" and it will then find your iPhone, ask you to input the code from your iPhone and then blink and it's all transferred.

yoAlex

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2008
SoCal - The O.C.
Wow - this is very distrubing ... sounds like the upgrade process is a total crapshoot ... not good with this type of app where the user has spent hours inputing information

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008
I'm not sure how you guys are going about your upgrade but it worked like a charm for me. All I did was copy my wallet from my previous WM6 device onto my PC and imported it into ewallet's desktop client. I set up the sync, made sure to let the computer overwrite the iphone since I didn't have any information in my iphone's ewallet client yet, and my wallet was copied over quickly and flawelessly. If you already have info in your iphone's wallet, just make sure you select the "merge data" option for your sync so that you don't overwrite your iphone's data (or vice-versa).

yoAlex

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2008
SoCal - The O.C.
I'm not sure how you guys are going about your upgrade but it worked like a charm for me. All I did was copy my wallet from my previous WM6 device onto my PC and imported it into ewallet's desktop client. I set up the sync, made sure to let the computer overwrite the iphone since I didn't have any information in my iphone's ewallet client yet, and my wallet was copied over quickly and flawelessly. If you already have info in your iphone's wallet, just make sure you select the "merge data" option for your sync so that you don't overwrite your iphone's data (or vice-versa).

my concern is the upgrade, not sync process ... Seems info is being lost when people upgrade the app

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008
my concern is the upgrade, not sync process ... Seems info is being lost when people upgrade the app

As long as you back up in itunes first, you should be ok since you can always restore if your info gets erased. I'm assuming you have all of your info in your iphone's ewallet so you'll want to make sure your iphone overwrites your computer on the initial sync.

TreoRenegade

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2008
Thought: FWIW ... I've been in the habit of rebooting my iPhone each day, just before charging it for the night. Since I started doing so back in mid-August, the upgrade goblins have left me alone, provided I stick with OTA upgrades. May be merely coincidence. But since Apple ain't offering either info or solution, and the snafus are popping up with all sorts of apps, it's the only self-help remedy I could conjure which seems to work. The one thing that is becoming increasingly clear is that the fault is with Apple, not the individual developers.

icewing

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2008
St Louis
anyone else have this problem?

If I sync eWallet, then make some changes, and attempt to sync again WITHOUT quitting the PC software, it can't see the iPhone. If I quit the PC software and restart it the sync works just fine. I'm running XP (Windoze?!?! Yech!!)

contourrob

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2008
You don't need a path. Make sure you have a wallet open on your desktop with the same name as the one on your iPhone, press sync on the iPhone, it will ask you if you want to set up a pairing and will then give a code, press sync on the desktop, click "ADD" and it will then find your iPhone, ask you to input the code from your iPhone and then blink and it's all transferred.

Thanks. A follow-up question. When I get to my desktop and click "ADD" I don't see the iPhone as an option. Ideas of why?

diesel

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 3, 2007
Thanks. A follow-up question. When I get to my desktop and click "ADD" I don't see the iPhone as an option. Ideas of why?

make sure that you have clicked on sync on your iphone. might help if you click on sync from the wallet that you want to sync

contourrob

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2008
make sure that you have clicked on sync on your iphone. might help if you click on sync from the wallet that you want to sync

Understood. I get to the screen on the iPhone that gives me the passcode, but the iPhone isn't shown on the desktop when I click "Add".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.