Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drewster

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2008
My G4 ibook (1ghz, 1.25GB RAM) has had it's second HD go on it, admittedly it is a 5 year machine now. However, I do like its form factor, and find that for typing notes in class it is ideal as on the lowest brightness and wifi off, I can get close to 6 hours of battery life out of a charge.

At this point I am considering simply going for a new Macbook, however they are a little larger, or perhaps a netbook of sorts, the new dell looks interesting and potentially trying to get OS X on it.

However, before I do so, I wanted to know if anyone has had any experience with a SSD in the ibook, was it worth it? Where did you get the SDD (particularly useful if they ship to canada).

Thanks in advance.

Beric

macrumors 68020
Jan 22, 2008
Bay Area
Seriously, a SDD would probably cost more than your laptop itself is worth.

Aren't you better off just getting an entirely new laptop?

Skeletal-dæmon

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2008
I think drew's right when he says about the form factor of the iBook being perfect for taking quick notes, the MacBook whilst for me is perfect I can see being a bit of a jump for somebody unused to it.

As for going SSD, its probably not worth it. Find a replacement drive from a reputable source and install it. Until SSDs drop significantly in price I'm sticking with mechanical.

Vulcan

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Seriously, a SDD would probably cost more than your laptop itself is worth.

Aren't you better off just getting an entirely new laptop?

Completely agreed, and it wouldn't do much to its resale value if you ever need to sell it, people will look for solid slate MacBook Airs, Pro, etc, but rarely iBooks.

I recommend to just get a normal hard drive.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
You can get a smaller 16-32gb CF(CompactFlash) memory card and a 2.5" IDE to CF adapter for relativly cheap. You will have an almost completely silent laptop not to mention cooler and will extend the battery life even more too. But you give up storage capactiy. Install your stock drive in an external enclosure for your storage needs. For just a note taking laptop anyways, 16gb will be plenty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.