Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

c073186

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Why on earth would anyone like this? It make it so much more difficult to just ... do certain business. A zipper is much more efficient. Everything else about this pair of pants I like, but a button fly? Are you kidding me? Forget it.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I don't get it either. Back in the day before zippers were invented fine but now it is pointless.

zachplaysguitar

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2008
Richmond, VA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

it really sucks when you have to basically pull down your pants to use the facilities but they do come off quickly.

c073186

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Yeah but just the thought of standing at a urinal fighting with your pants... the looks you might get...

StealthRider

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2002
Here and there!
The only pair of pants I've ever had with a button fly are my camouflage pants, and they're button fly so that you don't make any noise pulling down a zipper to take a whiz in "sneaky" situations.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I think my 501's use button flies. Could be wrong.

I don't mind really. Takes longer to do up is all but at least there's no risk of zipping up the ol willy like :D

Nicolecat

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2008
Not sure as to the pair of pants your referring to. (for some reason, the image didn't show for me)...

But, I used to be skeptical of button fly pants. I bought a pair of Lucky Brand jeans a few years ago...and fell in love with them. I now don't have a preference either way...but I do find they are easier to undo.
All buttons=same motion for each.
Button+Zipper=different motion to undo.

Once you're used to it, it's like wearing contacts...you don't even realize they're there. :D

keysersoze

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
NH
To quote the (in)famous Jerry Seinfeld:

"That is one place on my wardrobe I do not need interlocking metal teeth. It's like a mink trap down there."

JML42691

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2007
Maybe people are talking about different versions of button flies, by all of the ones that I have seen have like 4 or 5 buttons, which are by no means easier to use than a zipper, the buttons are along the entire length of where the zipper usually would be, so I don't really see how they can be easier/quicker to use than a zipper.:confused:

These pants are just one thing that always amaze me whenever I see them.

Nicolecat

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2008
Maybe people are talking about different versions of button flies, by all of the ones that I have seen have like 4 or 5 buttons, which are by no means easier to use than a zipper, the buttons are along the entire length of where the zipper usually would be, so I don't really see how they can be easier/quicker to use than a zipper.:confused:

These pants are just one thing that always amaze me whenever I see them.

The jeans that I have are low rise...with around 3-4 buttons.
But there really is only a need to undo the top 2 to take them off. :eek:

(I suppose, with guys...undoing an extra button would be nice. But, with mine after a few washes...what was nice, is you just grab the top button and pull the two pieces of fabric apart. Because the lower buttons are smaller, they come right undone) :D

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
I don't really mind button fly jeans (or pants for that matter, but I find them mostly in jeans). They're very easy to undo and only a little slower when it comes to buttoning them back up.

Plus I've found for some reason that the jeans that look the best (ie, that are teh sexay™) happen to be button fly.

As a queen, I refused to sacrifice fashion for comfort (not that I'm doing that anyways ;)).:p

c073186

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Well I am speaking on behalf of the males... not sure how females feel. But my main issue is that it is annoying if you have to access components behind the fly region. Girls maybe this is not such an issue because other actions are required to use those services. But for men, it is useful to be able to have just the fly section open. (and the buttons make it a PITA)

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
Well I am speaking on behalf of the males... not sure how females feel. But my main issue is that it is annoying if you have to access components behind the fly region. Girls maybe this is not such an issue because other actions are required to use those services. But for men, it is useful to be able to have just the fly section open. (and the buttons make it a PITA)

Yeah it is a bit of a pain in some respects, but it isn't a big enough deal for me to give up the really great look. ;) :D

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Button-fly = crap for guys.

When you run to the loo you have to undo your belt just to undo your fly and then you've basically got your pants off and then you're just a clumsy drop away from standing at the urinal, bare-arsed, pants-around-the-ankles like a 5 year old kid who's just started learning how to use the urinal.

They make absolutely no sense.

With a zipper fly you're in, unzip, piss, shake, zip up, up and away.

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Feb 9, 2005
The good side of the grass.
I used to wear them in the 70's. They were cool. I had more control then. I'd hate to have one of my older guy "gotta' go now" moments with them. Now I like sweatpants and shorts with elastic so I can have quick over the fence moments.;)

ipodtoucher

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2007
Cedar Park, TX
My 7 For All Mankind jeans have button fly and I love them!

I think button-flies show a certain build-quality. They are also good for when you have the squats and need to get your pants off quickly and there is a much lesser chance of the fly getting caught.... :p

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Why on earth would anyone like this? It make it so much more difficult to just ... do certain business. A zipper is much more efficient. Everything else about this pair of pants I like, but a button fly? Are you kidding me? Forget it.

Agreed. I have never owned a pair of button fly pants and never will.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.