Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Luap

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 5, 2004
I think it was iTunes v7, or maybe 7.5.. I don't recall exactly.. But I was pretty sure something happened to make it sound somewhat dull compared to previous versions. I could never quite put my finger on exactly what the problem was, as it was subtle. I even read some blurb on the net back then from people that experienced similar issues. To be honest, I had forgotten about it until V8 came out today.
Again, I can't quite put my finger on it, but it sure does seem to sound better. At least as good as pre V7 anyway. I've listened to a wide variety of stuff with V8 already and im almost certain there is an improvement for the better.

Just me, or anyone else noticed anything similar?

(Side note, Sound enhancer isn't on, and it never has been)

Morod

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
On The Nickel, over there....
You read my mind, Luap!
I dl'ed 8 and tried it out. As soon as I hit play, it shocked me how much better it sounded than 7.7. More presence, volume and clarity, and I'm just using the built-in speakers on my Al iMac. Wow! Glad it's not just me. Thanks Apple! :)
Morod

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
It is going to be something which is pretty hard to test. I know what you mean but I'm putting it down to the placebo effect until someone can come up with some decent tests showing it.

Morod

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
On The Nickel, over there....
It is going to be something which is pretty hard to test. I know what you mean but I'm putting it down to the placebo effect until someone can come up with some decent tests showing it.

Good point on the placebo effect, but I don't think so in my case. I do believe it sounds better, not only noticeably better, but shockingly better! I've worked in the engineering dep't of broadcast television stations my whole life, as well as mess around on guitars, so my ears are something I depend on and was not expecting anything from 8 except GUI enhancements. But the first notes of the first song I played hit me. It was the exact same last song I was listening to on 7.7 before I updated iTunes, so the quality was fresh in my mind and ears. Again, not only noticeably better but shockingly better.
YMMV....
Morod

vincebio

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2005
Glasgow
absolutely 100% confirmed this is better....

i have a track of mines that i know popped and clicked when i put the volume up fully on my Almac 24, and now i can put it up and not only is it clearer and more warmer, the pops and crackles have gone!!

they have defo altered the standard Eq setting, and the frequencies are way better..

well played apple, i know a few people have complained about the popping sounds

Chris Bangle

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2006
UK
I definatly noticed a difference, So much so, that I checked my sound enhancer settings and the equalizers, all was the same as before the upgrade. And that was before I saw this thread.

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
Thank God someone else noticed. Music definitely sounds cleanier and crisper on my Promedia 2.1 speakers. Dunno what they did, but I'm happy for it.

Luap

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 5, 2004
Well, thats interesting that most of us that posted here seem to agree that its better.. I too noticed it almost right away. Still, I checked out a variety of tracks from different artists and albums to make sure as best I could that I wasn't imagining anything. Also, to note, im also an audio engineer of sorts, although I don't do much of that kind of work these days. Still, it does mean I tend to notice differences here n there such as this.
It's just, that much clearer. It probably isn't any better than say, iTunes v6 was, so perhaps v8 has merely undone whatever crud was introduced in v7.

While im here.. I've not even updated to the latest QuickTime yet, so that isn't responsible. It's something in iTunes for sure..

Plus, I never used the sound enhancer, EQ or SoundCheck features.. So all their settings are turned off and have been for some time. So thats not responsible for any changes either.

Whatever changed, its most welcome :)

crenz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2003
Shanghai, China
That sounds like an interesting phenomenon. I haven't been able to install iTunes 8 yet (getting an update error when trying to install Quicktime), but I recorded a few test tracks with iTunes 7.7.1 and will compare them to the iTunes 8 output as soon as I have it.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Apple may have tweaked the "sound enhancer" in iTunes. This effect can be raised or lowered in the preferences, or disabled altogether.

Sounds the same to me, honestly.

Luap

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 5, 2004
Apple may have tweaked the "sound enhancer" in iTunes. This effect can be raised or lowered in the preferences, or disabled altogether.

Sounds the same to me, honestly.

I've had it turned off. Always. As well as EQ and sound check. It was the first thing I checked when I first heard iTunes 8 today. Thought maybe a borked pref had turned on Sound enhancer or something, but no..

iBunny

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2004
iTunes 8 sounds fantastic. I listened... noticed right away... came here to see if someone already started a thread about it.

It cannot be coincidence.

Luap

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 5, 2004
iTunes 8 sounds fantastic. I listened... noticed right away... came here to see if someone already started a thread about it.

It cannot be coincidence.

Yep. Just my thinking too :)

Had a nasty lockup with iTunes last night though. Hoping its just a one off.

No one else noticed the sound quality then?

CristobalHuet

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2008
Montreal
So far so good, I LOVE Grid View, even if there are some bugs:

a) all album art doesn't show well
b) some song/artist information is wrong

As for the sound...I haven't really paid attention, would be cool if this true. :cool:

riker1384

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
West Coast
I haven't updated yet, but I don't how how it could sound drastically different. If there's a big change in the sound, even with EQ and any other enhancements turned off, it would mean that at least one of them doesn't play the sound files accurately.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
I haven't updated yet, but I don't how how it could sound drastically different. If there's a big change in the sound, even with EQ and any other enhancements turned off, it would mean that at least one of them doesn't play the sound files accurately.

Considering that there was a big argument when iTunes 7 was released stating that it sounded worse than iTunes 6 I think it is well within the realms of possibility. VLC has always been a better media player than iTunes, lets hope that has changed now.

krusnof

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2007
Topanga, CA
So far so good, I LOVE Grid View, even if there are some bugs:

a) all album art doesn't show well
b) some song/artist information is wrong

As for the sound...I haven't really paid attention, would be cool if this true. :cool:

More bugs! When you sort by album as in list view, it still sorts with artist as well! As least on mine! I'm not really fund of the grid view until they fix bugs!

Haven't noticed any make sound change though, but my MBP speakers may not be the best to test!!

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007

2 computers with different iTunes. Blind test with same song.

As a part time DJ, I noticed that with 7.7 and few versions before, the sound quality decreased. Need to test with MBP and iMac running different versions of iTunes...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.