Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swb1192

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 4, 2007
Wouldn't this go off while in your pocket running/walking? I would be afraid that I would walk with the new Nano in my pocket and the song would repeatedly change...
Did Apple do anything to prevent this from happening (Perhaps not working when in sleep mode?)

xJulianx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2006
Brighton, UK
I'm sure Apple has engineered this feature so it doesn't happen accidentally.

If not, perhaps it will only work when the iPod isn't in 'hold' mode.

carve

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2006
I think you have to shake it quite violently to make it shuffle.

M-5

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
I believe so.

Though it wouldn't surprise me if somebody writes an app to enable the Touch to do with as well. It has an accelerometer too after all.

I don't think apps are allowed to access your music library. They are confined to their own space.

Mac-Addict

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2006
London
I believe so.

Though it wouldn't surprise me if somebody writes an app to enable the Touch to do with as well. It has an accelerometer too after all.

It would be rather useless as the app cannot run in the background or as a plug in, so the app would have to be open (iPod on the app screen and not asleep.)

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
RTFM

Enable or disable Shake for shuffling songs

Choose Settings > Playback, choose Shake, and then select Shuffle or Off.

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Surely would having the Hold button on also stop it from going off? I doubt apple would make a feature that defies the point of the hold button...

computerji

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2009
iPhone / iPod Touch OS 3

I just installed the update on my iPod Touch and the "Shake to Shuffle" works really well. Random movement doesn't set it off, it takes a sharp chopping motion. Also you can disable the feature in the Settings Menu.

YanniDepp

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2008
Yeah, the shake-to-shuffle on the touch needs quite a violent shake.

Moreso than the nano. It often goes into shuffle mode in my pocket when I'm walking. That's why I always keep the hold switch on.

On both iPods, you can turn off this feature in the Settings menu.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.