Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zen

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 26, 2003
Apologies if this has been covered but I can't find any info on it.

The Genius playlist is a feature of iTunes 8 and the new iPods (nano, touch and classic), but is it available on older iPods (eg, thanks to a software update via iTunes 8)?

sanford

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2003
Dallas, USA
Short answer: inbuilt and on-the-fly, no, probably not in future updates, but you can use iTunes 8, create a Genius playlist, make a new playlist, name it however you wish based on what you used as the basis for the Genius playlist, select all the songs in the Genius list, drag them to your new, empty playlist, sync that playlist with any iPod ever made.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Short answer: inbuilt and on-the-fly, no, probably not in future updates, but you can use iTunes 8, create a Genius playlist, make a new playlist, name it however you wish based on what you used as the basis for the Genius playlist, select all the songs in the Genius list, drag them to your new, empty playlist, sync that playlist with any iPod ever made.

This seems like the way to go. I don't see Apple putting this in future updates for older iPods.

mvreisjr

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2008
Lisbon, Portugal
They should update the iPods, at least the classic line. If they don't do it, it'll be kind of a stupid manner to end the beggining of a cycle in technology.

Mr. Jobs, I am certain that you read this boards, so I leave the question: How about an update of the old iPods, at least the 5th gen and the classic line? It would be great, wouldn't it? We want microphone and Genius in the 80GB and 160 GB models!

jockmock

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2007
Well, I have an iPod Touch 1st generation, and since the update I can create Genius playlists on it. So yes to your question

wlaugherty

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2009
Genius playlists on iPod Classic

It is not necessary to create a blank playlist and copy the Genius playlist songs to it to get a Genius playlist on your iPod Classic.

You can drag and drop Genius playlists in iTunes 8 to your iPod Classic icon [My iPod] or what ever yours is called. The Genius playlist will appear as a regular, non-Genius, playlist on your iPod list in iTunes 8. The next time you Sync, the new playlists will appear on your iPod.

The iPod Classic does not have the capability to create Genius playlists without the assistance of iTunes. This makes sense because the iPod Classic cannot get online to share and sample libraries of other iTunes/iPod users the way an iPod Touch or iPhone can.

Hope this helps.

I use my iPod Classic Gen 6 with my touchscreen stereo in my car. The Classic's large capacity makes it the perfect match with nearly zero latency when searching my iPod library using the Kenwood DX-512 interface. It is really slick. Until the iPhone or Touch offer storage memory close to the 80GBs I have now, I'll stick with the Classic.

Has anyone had issues with MP3's ripped from CDs using Microsoft Media Player? Random songs are cut short by varying amounts when played back on my iPod. The songs play in iTunes just fine with no glitches. The Apple store says it is an issue where Microsoft randomly places DRM on tracks, and that the fix is to re-rip the CDs using iTunes after erasing the CD from my library. What a pain in the you know what. I haven't re-ripped anything yet. Has anyone else tried this fix?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.