Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What do you think?

• Discontinued next year

Votes: 14 31.8%
  • Single model, similar price, capacity bump

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • Single model, 120 GB, price drop

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Additional 240 GB model coming

Votes: 16 36.4%
  • HDD-based iPod touch

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Other

Votes: 3 6.8%

• Total voters

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 20, 2008
The iPod classic used to be 80/160 GB. Now Apple's consolidated them into one 120 GB model. So given the smaller number of models and smaller maximum capacity, what do you think will happen to the iPod classic?

• Discontinued next year - Apple's moving away from the iPod classic and so it will be gone in a year or so, replaced by higher-capacity iPod touches.
  • Single model, similar price, capacity bump - Just like how the iPod (classic) has historically been updated, but with one model now.
  • Single model, 120 GB, price drop - Price drops until flash exceeds 120 GB, at that point the iPod classic may be discontinued.
  • Additional 240 GB model coming - The current single model (not 120/160 GB) means that, just like the 32 GB iPod touch addition early this year, there will be a 240 GB version released soon to augment the current iPod classic. Then next year's update would up both capacities.
  • HDD-based iPod touch - The iPod classic will be replaced by a new line of iPod touch(es) with HDDs.
  • Other - Something significantly different from the above, please post details.

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
I think it'll be there for a while yet, I can't see them killing it off next year, once SSD's catch up to HD's (in terms of price and capacity), but by the time that happens the original iPod design will be seen as old... :p

pol0001

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2008
London
The strongest point for the survival of the iPod Classic is, that it is the ONLY iPod that can hold an entire music library and your entire photo library. (At least when considering the average size of a library.) SSD are to expensive to offer this capacity. And the HD makes it hard to build in a device that encourages you to shake :eek: your iPod.
So I think the iPod Classic has still some years left in it.

MacBass

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2005
La Crosse, WI
I don't think that Apple put a HDD in the Touch...with the update of only the external volume controls, it seems to me that they want to keep the Touch SDD equipped. That being said, I don't think that SDD will catch up to HDD storage for a couple years, keeping the Classic line running until then. I imagine that Apple didn't release a 240 GB model yet because of 2 reasons.
1) They weren't sure if a 240 GB would have sold that well, and they were testing the waters to see what kind of response there would be.
2) I know that Toshiba had announced a 120 GB single platter not too long ago, and to go from an announcement to a product would take some time.

Granted, a 240 GB would be an excellent addition to my Apple electronics family. It would make sense, my Mini shipped with an 80 GB HDD and I bought an 80 GB Classic. I installed a 250 GB HDD in my Mini, and a 240 GB Classic would accompany it well...ensuring that I have all of my media. Being a musician, it's very handy to be able to pull up a specific recording at a moments notice.

pooryou

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2007
NorCal
I think the 240GB drives just weren't quite ready yet, but Apple do not want you to wait so they won't tell you that.

Plus they may need to update the OS to make it reliable with that much data.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I think it will be discontinued by this time next year. Apple seems to be focusing on the iPod Touch and Nano.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Speculation about the future has never been a forte of mine, but for the reasons previous posters have mentioned - size of memory of the current classic, the fact that larger (ie 240) technologies don't as yet, seem to have been developed by Apple, the fact that SSD technology is not yet at the required level of capacity, all point to the classic being with us for a while yet. I'd give it another few years when I'd expect to see developments in SSD technology supplanting what has been an excellent design.
Cheers

mandoman

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005
Capacity bumps for ipod classic to 240gb and ipod touch to 64gb in Feb-March timeframe.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
If it ain't broke.....

You do realize that the iPod Classic retains the personification of the iPod, its shape and design alone is recognizable around the world. My point is that they likely still sell more of these than the other iPods and discontinuing it would be a big mistake.

It'll stick around for years and just grow in capacity. Hence the name "Classic".

mandoman

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005
Maybe Apple with pull a Coke and introduce 'New Coke' by discontinuing the classic in favor of the touch, then re-introducing the classic a year later...

Insulin Junkie

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2008
Mainland Europe
I think they're going to keep the classic in their range, adding more capacity to it as time goes by. The lower capacity models will eventually be fitted with SSD's.

pooryou

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2007
NorCal
Maybe Apple with pull a Coke and introduce 'New Coke' by discontinuing the classic in favor of the touch, then re-introducing the classic a year later...

That whole fiasco was just a bait and switch to distract from the introduction of high fructose corn syrup instead of sugar, in my opinion.

Hopefully Apple isn't pulling anything like that.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
If it ain't broke.....

You do realize that the iPod Classic retains the personification of the iPod, its shape and design alone is recognizable around the world. My point is that they likely still sell more of these than the other iPods and discontinuing it would be a big mistake.

It'll stick around for years and just grow in capacity. Hence the name "Classic".

I disagree. While I think it is a near-perfect machine for what it is, (more so than the touch) I believe they knew they were killing it off the day they named it the 'classic'.

There was another product they called 'Classic'. That was OS 9.

I expect they're in a transitional period, and the nano will eventually be the only click-wheel iPod. They've just got to wait for the capacities to rise.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
There was another product they called 'Classic'. That was OS 9.
Well stated.

I expect they're in a transitional period, and the nano will eventually be the only click-wheel iPod. They've just got to wait for the capacities to rise.

Capacities to rise and more importantly prices to fall. So if that happens, then ok, I could see that happening (Classic discontinued). I did read an editorial maybe on Giz that the scroll wheel has got to go. And I agreed with that viewpoint.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
I think that the Classic may disappear when flash drives exceed 128GB.
That will call for a 256GB Touch.
In the mean time there will probably be a 240GB Classic released along with a 64GB Touch.
The Classic is where it all started; that gives me reason to believe it will be here for a while.

donga

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2005
AZ
the classic will still be around, it seems pretty evident though that apple won't be spending as much time developing it. same design, maybe more colors, capacity bumps, that's it. ipod classic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.