Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Hi guys, I might get a PowerBook G4 Titanium, 1 GHZ, with 1 GB of RAM, 80 GB RAM, Superdrive, Mac OS X Tiger for $300. I am going to buy it as a music server for a new iPod Touch I am getting sometime this weekend. The only problem with it is the screen has black spots over it. How much would Apple charge to replace the screen? Is it an easy operation that I could do myself? If so, where is a good place to buy a replacement LCD Panel? Thank you!

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
It is between $300 and $600 to replace, however, Apple will not open machines older than 5 years, because they can't get parts for them, so, since 2003 was the final year of the Titanium, Apple won't do the work. You would need to find someone else to do the work. You'd be better off just connecting it to a TV or old monitor if the screen is really a problem.

TEG

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
Hi guys, I might get a PowerBook G4 Titanium, 1 GHZ, with 1 GB of RAM, 80 GB RAM, Superdrive, Mac OS X Tiger for $300. I am going to buy it as a music server for a new iPod Touch I am getting sometime this weekend. The only problem with it is the screen has black spots over it. How much would Apple charge to replace the screen? Is it an easy operation that I could do myself? If so, where is a good place to buy a replacement LCD Panel? Thank you!

Not worth 300 if you have to replace the screen (which will cost $200-$300) if you DIY.

http://www.blisscomputers.net/servlet/StoreFront

Cheers,

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
So how much is this thing worth? Will it satisfy my needs as a music/video/app server for my iPod Touch?

By the way, is this the Titanium G4 Onyx, DVI, or Mercury version? iFixit sells screens but they have 3 different titanium models? http://www.ifixit.com

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
On iFixit it says replacing the LCD panel is extremely difficult, is this true?

Thanks for all the help!

Yes, as once you get the bezel off, it is almost impossible to get back on. If you get a fully assembled screen to use as a replacement, it is not as hard (I've replaced my hinges several times) but it is still difficult.

TEG

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Ok, for an extra $100 he said he would add a working 20" Apple LCD Display, the ones before the current models, the white ones. Would this be a good deal? So basically $400 for a TiBook G4 and a 20" Apple Display?

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Thanks again bud!

Do you think this laptop would do okay for watching movies, basic web browsing, and using it as a music/app/movie server for my iPod touch?

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Thanks again bud!

Do you think this laptop would do okay for watching movies, basic web browsing, and using it as a music/app/movie server for my iPod touch?

Standard definition movies will be fine, but I think the DVD player requires a 1.6GHz processor, but maybe that's just on Leopard.

Web browsing should be fine and it should run iTunes too, but you may need Tiger for iTunes 8.

musicismypill

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2008
I have an 867mhz DVI Tibook and it can play dvds and 95% of the videos that I throw at it.

I use Quicktime with Perian and it can handle divx/xvid no worries. Also check out CorePlayer for OS X. Using this I can play 'some' 720p files and most x/h264 dvd rips I have made with handbrake.

I would say that with the extra screen it is probably an OK deal since it has a full 1GB ram and an upgraded hard drive. I paid about $100 less for mine but it only had 512MB ram, original 37GB HD and flaking paint.

Maybe shop around for something with a little more balls if you plan on playing a lot of high def content but for standard video/dvd you should be fine with a 1GHZ TiBook.

You could always do DVI -> HDMI and plug in to a TV, throw in a wireless keyboard :cool:

nsbio

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
NC
USB 1.1 only?

If you want to use your Ti PB with iPod Touch, you might not be able to because the latter requires USB 2.0 to connect and sync.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.