Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vapor

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 15, 2007
Hi all,

I have an Imac connected wirelessly to my linksys wrt350 with the on board airport. I also have a airport express I wish to connect to a printer and allow everyone on the wireless to print. I can't see the external airport on my Imac, using the airport utility. I just get the blinking amber light. I was able to share the printer while it was hooked to my Imac through bonjour all though I can remember how I did that.

thanks in advance

live4mark

macrumors member
May 13, 2008
New York City
Airport Express Not Recognized in Airport Utility; Airtunes Not Working

You need to setup the airport express in client mode so that it connects to your existing wireless network.

^^ How do you do this?

My problem with airport express is as follows: I have an Airport Extreme (version 7.3.2) that I is connected to my cable modem and a pc in my basement. I have an iMac in a separate room on my second floor that accesses the internet wirelessly via the Airport Extreme. I also have an airport express that I used throughout the summer to play airtunes through speakers that I set up in other parts of my home. The airport utility (that is set up on my iMac) always picked up the Airport express and the window in the lower right corner of iTunes allowed me to pick the speakers so that I could play my music on the connected speakers.

All of a sudden - and without any warning - when I tried to connect my airport express last week, all I got was the blinking amber light on it; the airport express is no longer recognized in my airport utility. I have tried to reset the express, but it doesn't work. Furthermore, the option to play airtunes no longer appears in the lower right corner of iTunes. All I have now is a blinking amber light on the Express.

Can anyone suggest ways in which I can correct this problem and resume playing airtunes? I am not the most technologically advanced person, so please try to make any suggestions in simple terms! Thanks!

Zjef

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2008
Just connect your Airport Express (AE) to the network using a network cable. Successfully configure the AE to participate to your wireless part of the network, disconnect the AE, start using it wirelessly.

PS It is somewhere in the white papers on the Apple site, but since I'm not at home, I don't know the link by heart.

NKRK

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2008
similar problem?

I am wanting to set up my network as such, but am finding it unable to do this? Can I do it?...
I have a Linksys cable/dsl firewall router - BEFSX41. I am wanting to plug this router into my cable modem and then into my Airport express. Into that airport express I wish to plug my speakers and a printer as well. I also have another airport express upstairs for more speakers.
Is this set p possible?
Sorry to tag onto your problem but thought we might help each other.?
Thanks
Nik

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1731

Using AirPort Setup Assistant
Plug AirPort Express into a power outlet.
On your computer, join the wireless network created by AirPort Express.
Open AirPort Setup Assistant. Mac users: Find it in /Applications/Utilities/. Windows users: On the Start menu, point to All Programs and click AirPort.
When you see the Introduction screen, click Continue.
Select "Set up a new AirPort Base Station" and click Next.
When the AirPort Setup Assistant confirms that it has found your AirPort Express, click Continue. (If your AirPort Express wasn't found, click Try Again.)
Select "Connect to my current wireless network."
Be sure that "Extend the range of my AirPort wireless network" is not selected (this option is used only for WDS).
Click Next; AirPort Express Assistant will scan for your existing wireless network. Once it finds it, click Next again.
Choose the correct network (there may only be one) from the Wireless Network Name menu. If the wireless network is password protected, you will be prompted to enter the password. Enter the password and then click Next to continue.
Note: If you have difficulty with your password, you can get help with joining a third-party WEP-protected network.
Enter the name of your AirPort Express.
Tip: If you don't know the name, it's what appears in iTunes as the name of your AirTunes remote speakers.
Click Next.
Assign an administrator password for AirPort Express. This password can be different from any network password, and is used for just changing settings on AirPort Express.
The Summary screen outlines the configuration options you've set. Optionally, you can click Show Passwords to review the administrator and network passwords. Finally, click Next to update AirPort Express with your settings.
Once AirPort Express has had a minute or so to restart, it should join the existing wireless network, as indicated by its status light.

Using AirPort Admin Utility
Plug AirPort Express into a power outlet.
On your computer, join the wireless network created by AirPort Express.
Open AirPort Admin Utility. Mac users: Find it in /Applications/Utilities/. Windows users: On the Start menu, point to All Programs and click AirPort.
After AirPort Admin Utility opens, the name of your AirPort Express appears in the list. Select it, then click Configure.
Enter the administrator password if prompted.
Click the AirPort tab.
Enter a name for your AirPort Express in the Name field. (This name is how it will appear in AirPort Admin Utility; it may be different from the AirTunes remote speaker name mentioned in step 12. Note that AirPort Setup Assistant does not allow you to differentiate these names, but AirPort Admin Utility does.)
If your AirPort Express does not already have an administrator password, click the Change Password button to enter one. This password can be different from any network password, and is used for just changing settings on AirPort Express.
In the same pane, under the AirPort Network heading, change the Wireless Mode from "Create a Wireless Network (Home Router)" to "Join an Existing Wireless Network (Wireless Client)."
Type the name of the wireless network you want to join in the Network Name field. If you're using AirPort Admin Utility in Mac OS X, you may be able to choose the network from a pop-up menu.
If the wireless network is password protected, you will need to enter the password using one of the steps below. If it isn't password protected, skip to step 12.
Mac users: Click Security Options, choose the level of password encryption from the Wireless Security pop-up menu, then enter the password. When finished, click OK.
Windows users: Click Wireless Security, choose the level of password encryption from the Wireless Security menu, then click "Set WEP Password" to enter the password. When finished, click OK.

Note: If you have difficulty with your password, you can get help with joining a third-party WEP-protected network.

If desired, click the Music tab to enter the name that will appear in iTunes as your AirTunes remote speakers. You can also enter a password to prevent others from streaming music to your speakers.
Finally, click Update to send your new settings to AirPort Express.
Once AirPort Express has had a minute or so to restart, it should join the existing wireless network, as indicated by its status light.

Rate this article:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.