Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ryan.stewie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Australia
NEWS!!! CNET just updated their page (http://crave.cnet.co.uk/digitalmusic/0,39029432,49298843,00.htm) about the new iPod classic:

Update: Apple gave us a call last night, and apparently the resident iPod 'expert' at the event the other day wasn't as much of an expert as we'd hoped. Apparently there aren't plans to offer a free Genius-enabling update to the original iPod classic. This was, by the way, the same expert who told us high-definition iTunes downloads would be supported by the new iPod classic -- something that turned out to be only vaguely accurate.

Sorry guys!

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Oh no, am I the only person that isn't really that bothered about this feature? I can't see the inclusion, or exclusion of it affecting my day to day listening...

It's kinda cool on iTunes, but on the iPod, it's like lazy searching, listen to what it tells you, because you can't be bothered to find the next track :rolleyes:

Triangel7D

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2008
Yes, you're the only person. Just kidding. But seriously, I and I think a lot of people were very excited by this after trying out Genius on iTunes. I am actually returning the 160GB I just bought from Apple online because of this.

polar-blair

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2008
What! why? I was love the new genius feature on iTunes and cant ait to get it on my iPhone so I can make playlist on the go. I was wanting to use my 160GB ipod Classic when I go snowboarding later this year and the new genius playlist would of made life so easy, on the chairlifts find a song, hit the genius button and hey presto, a playlist. I guess I will have to risk bring my iPhone on the slopes :(

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Oh no, am I the only person that isn't really that bothered about this feature? I can't see the inclusion, or exclusion of it affecting my day to day listening...

It's kinda cool on iTunes, but on the iPod, it's like lazy searching, listen to what it tells you, because you can't be bothered to find the next track :rolleyes:

For people who have a library of over 5000 tracks, this is ideal. You really want to search through 5000 tracks to find another song that is of a similar mood to the one you just listened? Genius does that for you, and in the process you'll end up hearing songs you've not heard for ages either.

weg

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
nj
Yes, you're the only person. Just kidding.

I've already turned this thing off again in iTunes.. it reminded me a lot of the Google ads on the right hand side of the Google search page.

"Steve Jobs thinks you should also buy..."

Triangel7D

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2008
I hear you (yeah, I need to buy WHAT?!?), but on the iPod itself, it will mix nice music for you. That's what I was looking forward to.

The big question for me right now is when the main page is going to report it.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I've already turned this thing off again in iTunes.. it reminded me a lot of the Google ads on the right hand side of the Google search page.

"Steve Jobs thinks you should also buy..."

It isn't ONLY for recommending songs. That isn't the prime feature. Why are people being so ignorant about the Genius feature?!

yrsonicdeath

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007

You're not the only one. I would take more space over this feature any day.

arjen92

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
Below sea level
chip set isn't okay?

Why wouldn't the ipod classic 6th gen support genius. Is it because it has another chip set. Or does apple want you to buy a new iPod.

idsoftware

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2008
United States
IPod Classic 160GB

Hi Guys.

I have some doubts.

1. What happen to IPOD Classic 160 GB is now crap? old ? why the new Ipod has less capacity ? any clues?

2. Will Ipod Classic 160 GB will have the genius update?

3. You think that Ipod Touch will ever get the 160GB or more?

Thanks to anyone...

ID Software

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
1. What happen to IPOD Classic 160 GB is now crap? old ? why the new Ipod has less capacity ? any clues?

2. Will Ipod Classic 160 GB will have the genius update?

3. You think that Ipod Touch will ever get the 160GB or more?

1. Because the 160GB model of the iPod wasn't that popular, and you are getting the 120GB model for the price of the 80GB if I remember correctly.

2. I think it will at some point, it is only a software issue.

3. Not for a long, long time. Flash memory is still very expensive - if you got a 160GB iPod Touch right now, it would probably cost in excess of $800.

Apple has a patent that will allow users to stream music from their iTunes library to their iPhone/iPod Touch over WiFi. It'll be interesting to see if that ever comes to anything, as it would eliminate the memory issue.

andrewcole836

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2008
Las Vegas
Would it do any good to complain somewhere or make a petition? I would even pay $10 for an update to get this feature on my 1 month old 80gb iPod Classic. Just doesn't seem right, or smart. I guess complaining doesn't help when it comes to Apple though huh? Just bend over and take it?

John566

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2008
I would even pay $10 for an update to get this feature on my 1 month old 80gb iPod Classic.

I'd pay $30 :)

I wonder if the hardware inside the 160GB is different enough that it wouldn't run the new OS. If that is the case I can see where it wouldn't be worth it for them to offer the upgrade if they had to completely rework it.

tecktronika

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2007
Miami
I think that we are gonna get the update, The ipod touch is getting it for 10 dollars. and I think Cnet meant that we aren't getting a "free" update.

Ephemeron1

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2009
I've realised now that Genius was exactly what I wanted. It would save me the trouble of choosing the songs, when all I really need is a robot to do it for me.

Now I feel like a chump for getting the 80gb version :mad: Same here, I wouldn't mind paying for an official update. I'd rather not buy a new iPod, because I got it as a birthday present, and have already started to fall in love with it. I couldn't give a **** about video capability, but Apple wont even release a damn software update for this small but essential feature!

Is there ANY way of 'unofficially' changing the software on my iPod, say by forcing iTunes to recognise it as a 120gb model? After all, Genius is just a piece of software, and I don't see why my iPod would be unable to run it. I'm so desperate, I created an account just to post this.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
For people who have a library of over 5000 tracks, this is ideal. You really want to search through 5000 tracks to find another song that is of a similar mood to the one you just listened? Genius does that for you, and in the process you'll end up hearing songs you've not heard for ages either.

exactly. i dont necessairy want to listen to the same artist and dont really want ot make playlists on the fly

i like genious

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2009
Apple has a patent that will allow users to stream music from their iTunes library to their iPhone/iPod Touch over WiFi. It'll be interesting to see if that ever comes to anything, as it would eliminate the memory issue.

How would WiFi streaming ever eliminate the memory issue? WiFi won't help me while driving down the highway. It won't help me on a subway train, and it certainly won't help me camping or while out in the desert hiking somewhere. It also won't help if the internet connection goes down for some reason.

I'd rather have more onboard storage. By FAR.

YanniDepp

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2008
a) This thread is a year old. Why bring it back from the dead?
b) The 120GB classic DOES have Genius.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.