Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
They maybe ought to take Corrie off the telly for the best part of twenty years, then bring it back with a new actor playing Ken Barlow and a radically redesigned interior for the Rovers Return. That'd teach 'em. :D

BlakTornado

Apr 24, 2007
Washington, OH
A little off what the topic has moved onto, but I watched some old Who today that I hadn't seen in about 7 years... and I must say, they are much more entertaining than they were then ;)

But, boy oh boy, Colin Baker was a dick. (watched R-something of the Daleks that had Colin Baker in)

Much better than how I remember it though... I love how the actors died when getting hit by Daleks! It was comic genius! haha.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
A little off what the topic has moved onto, but I watched some old Who today that I hadn't seen in about 7 years... and I must say, they are much more entertaining than they were then ;)

But, boy oh boy, Colin Baker was a dick. (watched R-something of the Daleks that had Colin Baker in)

Much better than how I remember it though... I love how the actors died when getting hit by Daleks! It was comic genius! haha.

Yep, good stuff indeed! And yes, Colin Baker is a bastard, hence why I loved his Doctor. :D :cool: It's a shame the writing was so poor, he had so little to work with in that regard... if only he was allowed to portray the Doctor as he wanted to, things would have been so much better. :(

Marble

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2003
Tucson, AZ
Yep, good stuff indeed! And yes, Colin Baker is a bastard, hence why I loved his Doctor. :D :cool: It's a shame the writing was so poor, he had so little to work with in that regard... if only he was allowed to portray the Doctor as he wanted to, things would have been so much better. :(

Although, ironically, Revelation of the Daleks is excellently scripted. It stands out in his era by a mile.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Although, ironically, Revelation of the Daleks is excellently scripted. It stands out in his era by a mile.

I'll have to watch this one again as it has been a while - thanks for the note, I'll put this on my Who to-do list. Oh wait, that sounds bad... :eek: ;) :D

Tankgunk

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2007
I'll have to watch this one again as it has been a while - thanks for the note, I'll put this on my Who to-do list. Oh wait, that sounds bad... :eek: ;) :D

Just keep that Who capitalized and that hyphen and you'll be OK. Or just go for a Who to-watch list unless you need to make a list that includes tasks other than watching, like building your own TARDIS. Wait, then you'd be a peeping tom...

BlakTornado

Apr 24, 2007
Washington, OH
For anyone interested, here's a recent interview with Steven Moffat.

:O from the pictures, he looks exactly like David Tennant! :p

But I liked how they brought up the... *ahem* "great" innovation that Russel T Davies introduced, with the families.

It seems Steven Moffat isn't too keen on it himself, which is great, because I personally couldn't stand it. It made the show too much like a Soap Opera. Especially with Martha, where the family thing was COMPLETELY unnecessary. There was no need for it in the slightest. With Rose and Donna, at least the families played a small part in the outcoming of the series.

Series 5 should be very good.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
:O from the pictures, he looks exactly like David Tennant! :p

Yeah, funny about that, huh? :p :D

Moffat has been interviewed in a few of the Doctor Who Confidentials, I'm sure you've seen his real face there. :p ;)

But I liked how they brought up the... *ahem* "great" innovation that Russel T Davies introduced, with the families.

It seems Steven Moffat isn't too keen on it himself, which is great, because I personally couldn't stand it. It made the show too much like a Soap Opera. Especially with Martha, where the family thing was COMPLETELY unnecessary. There was no need for it in the slightest. With Rose and Donna, at least the families played a small part in the outcoming of the series

I agree, I never really liked that aspect. I also have reservations regarding the whole "super companion" angle as well which RTD employed - Rose taking into the energy of the TARDIS to wipe out the Daleks (and later coming back s she did), Martha trekking the world to save humanity, Donna's role in this last season. I'm all for making companions more than just useless sidekicks whom the Doctor always has to save and explain things to, but it just seems like RTD went out of his way to make this latest batch better than all previous companions, and I don't think that's necessary. Make them strong, but let's not get carried away. ;)

Series 5 should be very good.

I've said this from the start, ever since the news was announced - with Moffat at the helm, this will be a new golden age for the Who franchise. :cool:

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
Especially with Martha, where the family thing was COMPLETELY unnecessary. There was no need for it in the slightest. With Rose and Donna, at least the families played a small part in the outcoming of the series.
The initial idea was a good one – seeing the effect that becoming a companion has on those left behind. Rose ran off with the Doctor apparently paying little regard to the consequences it would have on her family, which gave us some interesting moments – but stretching it across four series and three separate families was way too much. and of course, it takes us back to the regular complaint that too many stories were set on modern day Earth, specifically London.

If we are going to have a lot of Earth-bound tales (which to be fair I can accept due to budgetary and drama reasons) can we at least have a few more 'historic' stories please, Mr Moffat?

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
The initial idea was a good one – seeing the effect that becoming a companion has on those left behind. Rose ran off with the Doctor apparently paying little regard to the consequences it would have on her family, which gave us some interesting moments – but stretching it across four series and three separate families was way too much. and of course, it takes us back to the regular complaint that too many stories were set on modern day Earth, specifically London.

If we are going to have a lot of Earth-bound tales (which to be fair I can accept due to budgetary and drama reasons) can we at least have a few more 'historic' stories please, Mr Moffat?

I agree - a good concept initially, but one that dragged on too far. And yes, the Earth-based episodes, like it or not, are required for budgetary reasons, however I agree with you - at least make them more historical as opposed to modern day England all the time. ;)

This is one of the reasons I enjoyed the Baker years so much. Just look at how many stories are set in then-modern day England - not many. Still many Earth-based episodes, but they were mostly historic or futuristic. :cool:

Mac-Addict

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2006
London
Yes, I really am that sad..

photo1ap8.jpg

photosl7.jpg

sprale

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2007
Republic of Texas
Sarah Jane Smith

I really do enjoy the way that the show incorporated a long-past companion. She was a companion to the third and forth Doctors, returning for the Sarah Jane Adventures. Elisabeth Sladen played Jane again, returning in a wonderful season finale. I hope that much of the old series, as cheesy as it were, continues to return. Daleks, Cybermen, the Master, oh my! For some classic Who fun, watch the Five Doctors.

Marble

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2003
Tucson, AZ
He pretty much has to go while he's still a commodity. It's kind of a pity in a way; I thought he had more potential than was realized.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
Blimey, that's a bit out of the blue but I suppose after next year's specials is a natural break to do such a thing.

It's going to be interesting watching the speculation over the next twelve months or so as to the identity of the Eleventh Doctor...

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Wow, big news! Thanks for posting this, I always like to keep on top of Who news! I agree, I'm excited to follow the ensuing 11th Doctor speculation as well. It will be sad to see Tenant go, as he really grew on me, but I said the same thing about CE initially, wary of if Tenant could step up, and in my opinion DT surpassed CE, so let's see if his successor is up to the task as well. ;) :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.