Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you like a MacRumors iPhone App?

• Yes, that would be great!

Votes: 130 82.8%
  • No, what's the point/I like mobile Safari better

Votes: 27 17.2%

• Total voters

anti-microsoft

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 15, 2006
Edinburgh, Scotland
It would be dead cool if someone in this forum (i.e. a Macrumors member or even Arn), made a slick, yet free, iPhone app centered on Macrumors.com. I was thinking something ala Twitterriffic... You know the sexy icon, with the sleek UI...

I'd do it but I don't have the skills!:p I could design it though:rolleyes::)

Haha! Just me sharing thoughts...

Thanks,

Ams.

anti-microsoft

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 15, 2006
Edinburgh, Scotland
I've made a quick mock-up of the Start-up page (like I said, a little in the style of Twitterriffic)

I'll post more tomorrow! Bed time soon! haha!

Excuse the quality!

ngwt

anti-microsoft

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 15, 2006
Edinburgh, Scotland
Now I'm doubting whether to make it a dark or a light/mimicking the actual MacRumors page...:confused: What should I do?? I've done a MR mimick one at the moment and gonna try a darker look.

mjwp

Ams.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
That looks awesome!

But it's funny, I think it looks even more awesome when you look at it with inverted colors (press Ctrl+Option+Apple+8 to see it)

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2005
I would LOVE an app like that. I don't find mobile macrumors a particular joy to browse

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
I love the idea and the screen-shots look great.

Would an app geared around a rumor site which publishes information regarding unreleased products make it through Apple's control and onto the App Store?

Interesting question... I think Apple would be smart to stay out of things like this, though.

For one thing MR is basically a self-sustaining community of fans. Companies can spend millions of marketing dollar and not get the same results. Sure, info that's bad for Apple gets passed around. But if MR was a cocktail it would be 1 part worms (bad for Apple), 10 parts sunshine (good for Apple).

But even that's beside the point. Once you get in the business of deciding which content to allow and not allow you expose yourself to all kinds of problems. Every time you make a questionable call your reputation suffers. Who wants their own customers not to trust them? There is a lot of content to review and it can't be done by low-level grunts without large numbers of poor decisions being made. Even experienced reviewers can't always understand the full implications of every decision. There is legal exposure, too. You need to be very consistent and even then you'll be getting sued for letting this in or keeping that out.

A workaround:

It could be developed as a general RSS viewer that supports a particular form of UI customization template. The MR template could be hosted, for example, on the MR site itself: it would be entirely separate from the app itself. It would containt the MR-specific art, menus, etc.

A user would then download the app and then point it at MR. The app reads the template and from that point on, it's a MR RSS reader.

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
Concept above is awesome, this app would be welcomed with open arms!! Keep the dream rolling....;)

ShadoW

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
hey guys.

If we did this, I'd want MacRumors to control the app as an "official" version -- to avoid conflicts down the line. If there are any developers who thinks they could do this sort of app for hire, contact me.

arn@normalkid.com

Thanks
arn

allbrokeup

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
I actually have made a MacRumors RSS Reader for iPhone. It doesn't look like that, but I have the code, and it works. At the moment it:

Displays and populates a list view of all the current stories of The Apple Blog.

When a table cell is tapped, it opens the story in Mobile Safari.

I would be willing to provide the code, if a developer could slap that lovely GUI on the front of it. For free of course. :D:D:D

I will upload pictures when I can...Its for OS 2.0+

P.S. Arn, or somebody, where can I find a page 1 RSS Feed for MacRumors for my app??

Thanks

Edit 1: Found the RSS XML as a link on the MR Homepage. I loaded it into the code and its not working, for some reason it can only read ones hosted at FeedBurner or in the format of "http://feeds.feedburner.com/MacRumors". Can someone host an XML there if this application is accepted??

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2005
At the moment I use NewsNetWire to stay in touch with MR on the move. One issue is that the RSS feeds only contain a small amount of the article so you couldn't read it all in the MR app via RSS. If that makes sense!

This would be so cool though, particularly once Push notification is available

anti-microsoft

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 15, 2006
Edinburgh, Scotland
I downloaded the SDK yesterday but deleted it instantly! I haven't a clue of how code works! Say... Do you think Apple would let it get into the App Store? After all.. It's just a news site!

themacintoshman

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2009
Butler, PA
MacRumors iPhone site

Hi everyone, I recently thought of something that I think would improve MacRumors a lot. Now I don't know about you, but I check this site daily, and it is usually when I am on the go from my iPhone. I know some sites have mobile versions formatted for the iPhone and iPod Touch screens (ex. Facebook, pictured below.) I think that if MacRumors had a site like this, it would help us people who check different blogs from our iPhone/iPod Touch. Has anyone else thought about this? Anyone disagree? Leave your thoughts below. :)
picture-171.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.