Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kjgilligan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2008
Hi everyone,

I am new and so far loving my new 3g iPhone. I do have one problem though as the title states. My phone can't find any wifi networks that are around me. And I know there are some. I already have a wifi address which I have checked with settings > general > about.

So can anyone please help me with ideas? I have also tried entering the address myself and it comes back saying that it can't find the network. When my laptop is in the area it finds about 5 networks, but my phone can only find one.

Any help greatly received.

Cheers

vandozza

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2006
Australia
your phone should pick up wireless networks, and ask you if you would like to join, automatically.

is wi-fi on? silly question but first place to start :) (settings-->wi-fi-->slider on

johnwin

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2008
Hull, UK
I don't think the phone won't go looking for the wifi until you launch an app that can use it.

so don't expect it to log onto a (new) wifi router if you are just using calendar or the iPod function.

as the previous post make sure that wifi is set to on and then fire up safari and you should see a pop-up window asking if you want to connect.

kjgilligan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2008
Hi there,

Yes I know that it should automatically look for networks and ask me if I want to join but when I am in a location that should be picking up or seeing about 4 or 5 networks it can only see 1. We have wireless airports where I work and it does not show our network there either.

That is my problem. I know that there are networks around me but the phone can't see them. I even tried to enter the name of one that is password free and it says 'could not find the network'. However I know the network is there as my laptop can find it and is on it.

So yes the wifi is on and ask to join other networks is also on.

I guess that maybe some settings are wrong or something? I previously had an iPod touch and that found the wifi networks easily.

Cheers

ryanrit

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2002
Same thing here with a first-gen iPhone

Hi all,

I've started having the same problem here with my original iPhone in the last two weeks. Friends come over with the same phone and see my network, as well as others, but my phone doesn't see any. Settings have been double-checked. Sometimes if the phone sits for awhile (an hour plus) the wifi will show up. if you lock the phone, then unlock, the network disappears again.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
That definitely doesn't sound right. Different computers in my house see different wifi networks, but the phone should also see some. If I leave the wifi on when I'm on the bus, it constantly pops up when as I pass all the hotspots. Quick answer is get with support and see if they can figure it out.
Good luck!

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
if it's an N network, it won't show up on the phone. but probably will on laptops.

if you know where the base station is, can you move yourself physically closer to the location.

and to the comment about only connecting if it needs it, as long as there is a known network it will connect to that, or if there is not a known network and you have "ask me to join wireless networks" enabled it will ask you. doesn't matter if you are using something that needs network connectivity or not.

jdauerbach

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2008
Hi all,

I've started having the same problem here with my original iPhone in the last two weeks.

I'm having the identical problem, also with a first-generation iPhone. My WiFi used to work wonderfully. Now, it generally will see no networks at all. Sometimes it will see a network, and even connect for five or so seconds, immediately after I unlock it, but the connection never lasts.

I'm wondering if something in 2.0.1 broke the WiFi (for me, at least); 2.0.2 hasn't fixed the problem.

I haven't yet tried a full-on, wipe-the-device reset, though I think that's my next step.

phe

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2002
complete wipe didn't help

I've had the same problem with my original iPhone. Not only did I get to the point where I tried a complete wipe, but I started it out as a new phone, just to make sure that there weren't any corrupted settings that were backed up. Still can not acquire any 802.11 signals - at home, at work, driving around... anywhere. On the rare occasion that it lets me know that it can see a network, it usually tells me that it's unable to join, or it drops the connection immediately.
I haven't bothered calling apple support, because I didn't purchase Apple Care and I'm out of warranty.

DigMe

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2008
Same problem here!

Hey, guys! I've had this same problem. My routher is dlink DIR-655. Works great with my N card and my wife's G laptop. The current wireless setting is mixed N, G and B network. My brand new iPhone 3G won't even see the network at all. It doesn't seem to see any networks.

Please post a solution to this if you find one!

EDIT: My wife's AT&T Tilt also sees the network just fine.

brad

DigMe

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2008
I updated to 2.1 yesterday and my phone still doesn't see my wifi network at all.

albyee

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2008
Same for me: 1st gen iPhone that lost all WiFi connections after the 2.0.1 update. Except for a few seconds after the phone is restarted. The geniuses at the Apple Store say it's a bad WiFi antenna in my phone, but the timing with the update was very suspicious. A complete wipe of the phone did nothing.

DigMe

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2008
UPDATE:

I broke down and called 1-800-MY-IPHONE today. They took me through all the steps that I figured they would and it did nothing. Now they are sending me the prepaid shipping label overnight to send it to them for repair or replacement since I have no Apple store close to me.

If you are having this problem you may be able to speed it up by doing the following things in advance and telling them that you did those things:

1. Reset the network
2. Reset the phone
3. Reset your router
4. Verify there is MAC address in the phone by going to Settings>General>About> and then making sure there is something entered in where it says "Wi-Fi Address". It should be a series of numbers and letters with colons separating them into groups of 2 digits.
5. Restore your phone.

I think that is everything they had me do. Most of it I'd already done aside from restoring so we actually sat there and did that over the phone.

I'm thinking this is a hardware issue having to do with either the wifi chip or the wifi antenna.

This is only for the problem of the phone not seeing any networks available with wifi turned on.

brad

DigMe

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2008
I went through the RMA process and Apple replaced the iPhone and now my wifi works! Glad to get that done. It looks like maybe there has been a run of phones with wifi hardware issues and I think this is going to be the only way to solve the issue.

If you're having this problem of your phone just not seeing any routers and you don't have an apple store near you then the good news is that the RMA service is SUPER fast and as convenient as this process can possibly be. I had the new phone in my hands LESS than 48 hours after I sent off the old one. Also, they send everything you need in the RMA box down to the strips of tape to seal the box and the paper clip to open your SIM card tray. Makes it all pretty easy and painless.

brad

Sonoran

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2007
I just finished reading a long thread on the Apple/iPhone Forum. Seems like there are LOTS of people not being able to log into a WiFi network or being dropped a lot. Seems to have popped up with 2.1.

I am waiting to get a 3G (My Sprint is up next month) so I cannot comment directly about this.

MacGiver

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2007
France
Hi all,
I have been having the same type of issue...not exacty actually. I can see and fetch many network but i want to fetch the network at work. My laptop sees at least 4 or 5 networks but my iphone does not.
I have seen coments about N network? what is that, is there soe network type the iphone would not fetch?
Thanks
MacGiver with brand new iphone 3g bought last week...

jshbckr

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
My original iPhone's wifi mysteriously quit working recently. School networks don't show up, my apartment wifi doesn't show up, friends' wifi doesn't show up. My girlfriend's iPhone detects all of these networks.

I restored the iPhone, didn't work. I jailbroke it, didn't work. I'm going to try to "re-virginize" the iPhone and get it back to the original state and see if it helps.

I really wanted to wait until a 32GB iPhone came out before I replaced this one... since it's out of warranty, but now I'm thinking I may have to get a 3G.

jshbckr

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
UPDATE: I re-QuickPwnd my iPhone. I think the first time I did it, I ran the app from the disk image, and this time I dragged it to my App folder first.

Now it looks like the WiFi is working fine. *Fingers crossed*

macjeffmac

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2009
Iphone 3GS Wifi Problems

Here's what was happening for me and what(strangely) seemed to work:
Got my iphone yesterday and then went to stay with a friend for a couple of days. Friends house was the first opportunity to try the WiFi option and could not get the phone to switch to wifi when connected. Also couldn’t get it to actually forget the network so I could try and reconnect. Tried resetting network settings often to no avail. Tried restarting the phone several times. Also tried restarting the router also with no effect. Then I did a restore and restored my info from itunes, still had the same problem. My friends router is a 2WIRE gateway DSL modem and wireless router in one.
So finally, just for the heck of it i tried the following: I went into the settings, selected WiFi, then under Networks, I chose other, then manually entered the router info. For some reason or another, this fixed the problem. I haven’t any idea why, and during a phone troubleshoot from Apple, the service consultant didn’t recommend this as option, so i figured I would post it here in case it could work for anyone else. If I’m leaving anything out or anyone needs more info let me know.

mbs3

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2010
Possible fix For wifi detection problem

Hi I had this problem and tried everything that i found and it never work. But i finally got it and what happened was i had gotten my phone and restored it but forgot to set my email up... i tried for 3 days to get my wifi to work restored 2 more times reset the network settings 3 times even tried renaming the ssid name but nothing! then I realized my email wasn't set up, so i quickly did that over 3g then the wifi appeared and is working awesome now. So just make sure email is set up and if its not that may be your problem...if not it may be a hardware defect with the antenna and if you still have your warranty it should be covered to replace or be fixed by apple

mgnnmr

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2010
Ugh, I'm having this problem.

I was using Skype on my phone over wifi then both the phone and wifi just quit all of a sudden and my phone isn't able to pick up any wireless networks since. I live in an apartment and there are normally 5+ within range.

I'm guessing it overheated... Will Apple do anything at this point? I am way out of warranty.

Niro

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2011
im having similar issue myself with my iPhone 4 on 4.2.1

it doesnt not show any connections nearby while my friends iphone 4 picks up and can connect to connections shown.

ive tried manually entering the wi-fi name and password, and it says it cannot connect. ive reset my phone, reset my network settings...no luck.

any suggestions?

JamesMB

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2011
Texas
im having similar issue myself with my iPhone 4 on 4.2.1

it doesnt not show any connections nearby while my friends iphone 4 picks up and can connect to connections shown.

ive tried manually entering the wi-fi name and password, and it says it cannot connect. ive reset my phone, reset my network settings...no luck.

any suggestions?
I'm just curious, what did apple say when you took the phone to the Genius Bar?

vn3G

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2011
Hi, I'm a newbie, I don't want to start a new tread, but I'm having issues with my iPhone 3g, running on 4.2.1, it's not the same problem as everybody else on this tread stating, my problem is that I can't seem to connect to any wifi signal, my phone can detect wifi signal just fine, but when it time to connect, it keep failing to connect, I went to several location, and tried many different wifi signal, wifi with wep, without, you name it.

I reset all the setting already, even restored, nothing seem to work.
If anybody have any idea what's wrong with it or how to fix it, it will be greatly appreciate, thanks

CasaBasa

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2011
Same Problem

Hi All,
I have an iPhone 4 with version 4.1. My iphone's ability to pick up wifi just disappeared. I tried most of the above. Turned my phone off and then on, tried manually entering the network and password, etc. My laptop is picking up fine and I always use to connect my phone to this wifi which now doesn't seem to exist to my iphone. There are also several wifi that should be recognized, but my iphone can't find ANY of them. Its really agitating because my phone is pretty close to useless now, as I don't have unlimited 3G. Any help would be awesome. I'm slowy going insane.
Thanks in advance,
Casa

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.