Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Toonfly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2008
I hope someone can help.

Ever since I got my MacBook it does a "Boing-Boing......Boing" sound-effect every now and again and I have no idea what it is. None of my dock icons bounce, it's not new email messages......I just don't have a clue.

If anyone can shed any light on it, I'd really appreciate it.

Ta
Toonfly

johto

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
Finland
I hope someone can help.

Ever since I got my MacBook it does a "Boing-Boing......Boing" sound-effect every now and again and I have no idea what it is. None of my dock icons bounce, it's not new email messages......I just don't have a clue.

If anyone can shed any light on it, I'd really appreciate it.

Ta
Toonfly

Huh? Do you press some keyboard keys when it sounds?

johto

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
Finland
Nope, I'm not even touching the computer half the time. I'm pretty good with computers but this one is really stumping me.

How often it appears? Try creating another account and see if its ok. Then at least you can pinpoint it to a software. Its some program you have running on the background...
Are you sure its not a program you have running, like skype, instant messenger and so on?

Toonfly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2008
I do have skype & ichat running but there's never anything new on them or any other program (ie no new messages, missed calls or anything, anywhere) that I can see.

I was kinda hoping that the (admittedly bad) description of the noise might ring a bell with someone. It's like something "bouncing" or someone on a pogo stick (ish).

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
Check your clock settings. You can have a sound for 15, 30 and 60 minute intervals if I remember correctly so you could be hearing that. Kind of like a church bell ringing every hour.

Toonfly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2008
Check your clock settings. You can have a sound for 15, 30 and 60 minute intervals if I remember correctly so you could be hearing that. Kind of like a church bell ringing every hour.

Nope, that's not it. Those settings not switched on. The noise is def not like church bells.

"boing boing" (straight after each other)
then small pause
"boing"

SnapperNZ

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2007
I think I have the answer....

Do you use Firefox?

If so, do you have the FEBE Extensions Backup Add-on installed?

I HAD been looking to the answer to this issue myself and have just found it - I am replying to this thread after reading it myself a couple of weeks ago in my hunt for the issue.

My FEBE Backup Add-on makes the noise moments before the backup is due to start.

The FEBE backup "icon" can be found right a the very bottom left of your Firefox window - it looks like a small analogue clock - click on it when the noise starts and hey presto, it stops the backup and the noise also stops!

You can turn the sound(s) off in the FEBE Preferences, within the Options Tab. You can also reproduce the noise to prove it's the one you thought it was - as I have just done :)

Hope this helps!

Darren

deputy_doofy

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2002
FOUND the problem. There was an "alert" setting in Entourage that made the noise to announce there was NO mail. How helpful is that?

Anyway, I turned it off - "boing" gone....

Just curious, do you use Entourage? Found this bit on the Apple discussion boards.

KompleX

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2008
Downey, CA
is the sound coming from the speakers? meaning are the speakers producing the sound or is it coming from inside the computer as if an internal component were acting up?

Toonfly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2008
The sound is coming from the speakers. Intuition would say that it's a program causing it but I have no idea which one. No dock icons bounce and there seems no good reason whatsoever for the noise.

Confused.

i.shaun

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2008
Canada
I have a similar Problem, and I've yet to pinpoint it's origin or cause.

No boing sound, but it is a sound, and it repeats at almost random intervals. I will have to write down the approximate time I hear them, and see if there is any pattern arising.

Now for the explination of the sound...

You know when you have a pop up window that either says "OK" or both "OK" & "Cancel" -- and when you try to click anywhere outside the window without choosing an option, it will pop back up infront and make -- the sound?

Also, if you try to CMD+C something with nothing selected, it will make -- the sound.

Well I don't even touch the computer and it seems to make -- the sound at random intervals. I'm not entirely sure if it is random, but I will run a small investigation to see.

Mintladd

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2009
Bristol (UK)
FOUND the problem. There was an "alert" setting in Entourage that made the noise to announce there was NO mail. How helpful is that?

Anyway, I turned it off - "boing" gone....

Just curious, do you use Entourage? Found this bit on the Apple discussion boards.

Thank so much for telling me about this!:)

I have been driven batty by the boing boings for 18months!:mad:

malcolmd83

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2010
My Culprit: Skype

In case someone else stumbles across this thread: my "random" boing noise was caused by Skype: Preferences -> Notifications -> Event: Contact Becomes Available. Since that can happen anytime you're signed in, and there's no "obvious" message/event, it's hard to pin down.

davkt

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2010
In case someone else stumbles across this thread: my "random" boing noise was caused by Skype: Preferences -> Notifications -> Event: Contact Becomes Available. Since that can happen anytime you're signed in, and there's no "obvious" message/event, it's hard to pin down.

Thanks! Have finally pinned down what has been bing boinging at me almost as long as I've had my Macbook!

AnaMelissa

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2013
Thanl You!

THANK YOU SOOO MUCH! i bet you didnt expect an answer years later but it helped! it was driving me crazy!

Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you !!!

sejjica

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2013

THANK YOU!!! there are so many people asking this question on the net and this is the only thread with the answer

thank you sooo much :D

revmomma

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2013
Annoying "boing" and "chit" sounds

Thanks to all your posts, I was finally able to track down where these annoying alerts were coming from... it was in the mail notification for Outlook. Thank you all.

vanillame

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2013

that was my case too, THANK YOU GOOD MAN!!! The sound really drove my creasy, thank you!

falux

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2014

Thank you! I specifically signed up to thank you!

That blob bloob ... blib was about to cost me my remaining sanity.

EatenMoth72

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2015

thank you!! after 5 years, this solution still works! it was driving me crazy, and it is pretty disturbing during class.!!

stachiafallari

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2016

Still helpful! ;) TY so much

prakashrn

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2016

I am a recent user of Mac and the sound drove me crazy. Was imagining it to be a virus, spyware or God knows what. Solved the problem for me! Signed up just to say Thank you :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.