Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wally1228

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2008
Mac Mail on my iBook will not get mail from my Gmail imap account. I also have a .mac account and it is working fine with .Mac. I also have an iPhone and my Gmail imap account is working fine with it, too. And all the settings appear to be the same as those on the iBook. Also, Mail will not close normally. I have to force quit continually.

The error message says that Mail has timed out attempting to connect with GMail on Port 993. That's it.

This problem starting suddenly about 4 days ago and Gmail has not synced successfully with Gmail since then.

Any ideas how to fix this problem with Mail. I think that something in the local mail database is corrupted...

thanks.

icoffee

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2008
You need to enable POP access in your Gmail user settings. On the web, goto gmail.com, under Settings click Forwarding and POP/IMAP, and enable POP/IMAP. In Gmail, also click on Configuration instructions to get the correct port settings for Apple Mail.

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
If it works on his iPhone, then IMAP is enabled in gmail.

Sounds like a firewall issue on your Mac or Router. Does gmail work on your iPhone when connected to same same network as the Mac via WiFi? If so, check out your Firewall settings on your Mac and see if you are blocking that port.

wally1228

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2008
more...

Sounds like a firewall issue on your Mac or Router. Does gmail work on your iPhone when connected to same same network as the Mac via WiFi? If so, check out your Firewall settings on your Mac and see if you are blocking that port.

Yes, the iPhone works on the same network. The Mac was working fine until a couple of days ago. I think the problem began when I attempted to send an email that contained a 5 MB podcast. It was taking too long, so I attempted to quit Mail while it was sending. It wouldn't quit while transmitting so I did a force quit on Mail while it was sending.

This email with the podcast attachment was saved in Drafts (on the server) several times. I have deleted it on the server and locally, but it keeps showing up again in Mail (though not when I go to Gmail via the web interface) when it attempts to do another send/receive.

I think I somehow corrupted my local Mail database for this account. The quickest fix may be to simply delete the account, then set it up again in Mail. When you delete an account, will it get rid of the data on my machine? Anyone see any problems with the route? I know I will have to do a long receive since my Gmail database is very large...

wally1228

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2008

Yes, the iPhone works on the same network. The Mac was working fine until a couple of days ago. I think the problem began when I attempted to send an email that contained a 5 MB podcast. It was taking too long, so I attempted to quit Mail while it was sending. It wouldn't quit while transmitting so I did a force quit on Mail while it was sending.

This email with the podcast attachment was saved in Drafts (on the server) several times. I have deleted it on the server and locally, but it keeps showing up again in Mail (though not when I go to Gmail via the web interface) when it attempts to do another send/receive.

I think I somehow corrupted my local Mail database for this account. The quickest fix may be to simply delete the account, then set it up again in Mail. When you delete an account, will it get rid of the data on my machine? Anyone see any problems with the route? I know I will have to do a long receive since my Gmail database is very large...

wally1228

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2008
Rebuild option greyed out

The Rebuild option under Mailbox is greyed out for this Gmail account, but not for my .mac email account. Maybe this helps the diagnosis?

rachaelmoore100

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2008
Gmail won't rebuild in mac mail

Hey -

I am having the exact same problem- does anyone know a solution? I tried to send a PP presentation that was too big from by gmail IMAP acccount (on my mac mail) and it froze (or crashed it). Now, I don't receive and cannot send anything from my gmail account. The IMAP from the gmail side is enabled. Gmail works fine on my iphone. The "rebuild" option for the gmail account is greyed out. I have tried deleting the account and then re-configuring but it is the exact same- has everything from 21 Dec on there but nothing past when I tried to send that over-sized file!

Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.