Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steamed.hams

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 15, 2008
Miami, FL
The Brick Riddle

What is 'The Brick?'

Wed, 09/10/2008 - 11:10 — Cleve Nettles

There is nothing I love more than Apple rumors. So, in that respect, I have some great news for everyone. One of our tipsters has a bit of a riddle for us. S/he says that the MacBook update event in a few weeks (you know the one with the glass trackpads) is 'all about the Brick'. What does "The Brick" mean? Can anyone out there help us out? This is one of those tipsters that has a solid track record so we want to go along for the ride. Maybe we can figure out this riddle together?

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Power brick?

I seem to remember watching the Mac mini keynote and Jobs calling it a brick, also when the power supplys for macbooks and macbook pros were reduced in size I think they were called power bricks.

Maybe they're going to admit that they really are as dangerous as everyone makes out and they will give out free ones to everyone! Even people without macbooks! EVEN people without macs, thus, Apples karma will be slightly better.

Or something along those lines...

steamed.hams

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 15, 2008
Miami, FL
Power brick?

Maybe they're going to admit that they really are as dangerous as everyone makes out and they will give out free ones to everyone! Even people without macbooks! EVEN people without macs, thus, Apples karma will be slightly better.

I hear those bricks make a fantastic paperweight.

Of course, only if you intend to incinerate your papers.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
The AC/DC converters are very small compared to the ones many Wintel PCs use, so it might be possible for Apple to integrate it into the PC itself, though I don't know if you can put 100-240V AC over a Magsafe connector...

tMac85

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2007
in a great place
it makes no sense. All about the brick? I think it just some mere post that 9 to 5 wanted for attention.

I would also like to know this persons "very good track record"

then ill start to think.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Well I know one issue that might be hurting MacBook (Pro) acceptance in corporate environments is the lack of a port-replicator / docking station. I have seven cables hanging off of mine (Power, DVI, FW800, Audio, RJ45, 2xUSB) so it's a bit of a pain to eject my attached FW800 drives (which I can't with TimeMachine running) and unplug everything. And I keep my MBP underneath by LCD so it's a pain to reconnect, as well.

So maybe we'll see something like the Duo Dock / Mini Dock / Micro Dock.

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
it makes no sense. All about the brick? I think it just some mere post that 9 to 5 wanted for attention.
Maybe we need to think outside the box.

9 to 5 mac posted about rainbow-colored iPod nanos in July. When the current iPod nano was released, the individual iPod nanos weren't multi-colored, but when placed together, they made a rainbow.

So a possibility is that the "brick" means something other than a brick. :confused::D

tMac85

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2007
in a great place

9 to 5 mac posted about rainbow-colored iPod nanos in July. When the current iPod nano was released, the individual iPod nanos weren't multi-colored, but when placed together, they made a rainbow.

So a possibility is that the "brick" means something other than a brick. :confused::D

personally referring to a 'brick' never means a good thing. It usually means something is dead. And no one wants a dead computer! haha.

im thinkin outside the box but having a hard time coming up with anything.

really all i can think of is maybe its about the macmini. iBrick? stable, supportive, and stacks up better than the rest...haha

steamed.hams

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 15, 2008
Miami, FL

Interesting....

I'm stumped

Eric.

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2008
That'd be a great update.

Until you look at the innards of a Macbook/Pro and see that there is no good place for one. The Magsafe will be an issue too, since the power cable will really be an extension cable still carrying full current from the power outlet.

I think there is zero chance of this being the case.

Macinposh

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2006
Kreplakistan

Hmm...maybe...

Something conceptual : service X of a new kind provided by apple ,maybe some hardware support to go with that. security,encrypted data on apples iDisk..

Or my 1$ would go on a mini-pc kind creation to compete with asus and the kind.
9", 8/16Gb coloured cuties to go.
A real Wanna! for the teenies, a first mac for the families and general qutie to go for the ladies. Price 399/499$.

Just like the first "free one" from the dealer...

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA

They also nailed not only the 3rd generation Nano form factor before anyone else, but also confirmed that it would be in different colors and what those colors would be.

MusicallySilent

macrumors member
May 23, 2007
The AC/DC converters are very small compared to the ones many Wintel PCs use, so it might be possible for Apple to integrate it into the PC itself, though I don't know if you can put 100-240V AC over a Magsafe connector...

Problems I see with that

1. Size, they are still pretty big, that would likely reduce the potential for thinness

2. Heat, those bricks become extremely hot, and the laptops become extremely hot, I dont think we want 2 super hot things together

3 Safety, 100v easily accessible isnt a great idea, sure someone can always shock themselves with a fork, but what if the magsafe pops out and they accidentally short the pins. Something like the tesla roadster would need incorperation, where there is a very small chip on the charger, and that communicates with mbp before beginning to transmit power.

I would like to see a thinner and slightly longer power brick instead, and have it run on 12 volts not the 15-16 or so it currently runs on, or allow it to run anywhere from 12-15 volts, that way you could still use it off 12volt DC from your car, and 15v empower from your plane

Sean.Perrin

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2006
Many bricks are assembled to make a greater structure. Perhaps the new macs are the building blocks of a new era for apple?

This could imply that the ENTIRE Apple (or at least notebook) line will be refreshed at the event, as they are the main building blocks (bricks) of Apple.

Just a thought.

I would doubt that the "power brick" would be placed inside the computer. Companies don't spend countless RD dollars making products thinner and lighter to make them thicker and heavier again.

Other than these ideas... I'm stumped.

Beric

macrumors 68020
Jan 22, 2008
Bay Area
Or maybe, to use an English (England) expression, "You're a brick!"

Hmmm... kinda hard to tie that one in. :D

n8236

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2006
Apple has always been about wireless peripherals. I would adventure to guess it has regards to powering a laptop with a wireless ac adapter. :D

Beric

macrumors 68020
Jan 22, 2008
Bay Area
Apple has always been about wireless peripherals. I would adventure to guess it has regards to powering a laptop with a wireless ac adapter. :D

Actually, I read an article recently about wireless charging. Apparently it's going to happen. Probably not in the too-distant-future, but it's out there, and works well.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location

Ah, so we're talking about slices, and then when you place them together, you get....

The AC/DC converters are very small compared to the ones many Wintel PCs use, so it might be possible for Apple to integrate it into the PC itself....

Have you ever felt your AC adapter when your laptop is being charged? No thanks. Apple is probably capable of putting it inside your laptop, but they're in the business of design, and putting parts together to form a product. They're not the type of company that is capable of completely revolutionizing voltage transformers, and there's really no way for them to make them run cooler. If they could have done it, their AC adapters would be even smaller than they are now.

And my friend's AC adapter for his MBP just melted. In fact, Apple admits that AC adapters for MBPs and MacBooks burn and fray. Keep those "bricks" out of my laptop.

MowingDevil

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2008
Vancouver, BC & Sydney, NSW
Actually, I read an article recently about wireless charging. Apparently it's going to happen. Probably not in the too-distant-future, but it's out there, and works well.

Is anyone doing any serious research into the health risks of all this wireless technology?

From radiowaves to microwaves, transmission line towers to cel phones, internet, bluetooth this & that, wi-fi everywhere, thousands of satelite channels...and now wireless power?
All this whizzing around your head, into your body, around your rooms...I don't have any solid evidence on the matter...but can this really be good for us when its all said & done?

Could wireless AC ever be a fire risk? Maybe its safer for all I know. I don't understand how it works exactly but that electricity has to get from A to B somehow.

There's something to be said about a good ol' cable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.