Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dbarbanti

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2008
My Power Mac G5 is connected to my Sony HDTV using a brand new DVI-HDMI cable ($80 at Radio Shack). The second I plugged it in, both the TV and the Monitor went black. I only had picture for a couple minutes in 3 - 5 second intervals. It never straightened itself out. I restarted, same thing. Has this happened to anyone? It's as if the TV was drawing power away from my Apple Cinema display (non-HD...the older one). Heres my computer info:

Power Mac G5
2GB memory
Dual 250 GB hard drive
NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT DDL

macz1

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2007
if it's a good cable of a couple of meters it's not too expensive, a DVI/HDMI adapter does not help much if you want to put your TV more than 3cm away from your computer...

To solve your problem I would try playing around with the resolutions of the two screens, enable mirroring, lower refresh rate, attach cable, but don't connect to TV, switch DVI connectors... if the problem persists it could also be a bad cable, causing some errors in the signal transmission...

bbq2k

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2008
I have a G5, too

I'm interested to know the cable length, and whether you run it through a receiver. Please follow-up with how this pans out for you because I'm following in your footsteps (maybe!) ;)

dbarbanti

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2008
It's 10 feet. I'm going to try lowering the resolution on my Cinema display. If I could keep picture up long enough to mess with the settings on the TV display, that might help. My IT guy at work gave me that similar solution.

SmurfBoxMasta

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
I'm only really here at night.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.