Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rhopper

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2008
I am seriously considering to converting to the Mac world but my only concern is the fact that ive payed a lot for various Adobe software but they are all windows versions. My only concern is that I wont be able to use these and will have to purchase a bunch of Mac licenses.. or can you still use them via bootcamp?

SrWebDeveloper

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Alexandria, VA, USA
This might need to be moved, as it's not really a development question. But on that note, no major features are gained or lost between the platforms with respect to development.

In terms of bootcamp, it is not necessary to go that far knowing the answer I just gave you about using Adobe PS CS3 (or Dreamweaver, etc.) in Mac mode. The main reason people opt for bootcamp is when alot of proprietary Windows software has been invested, third party apps are involved in daily use, gamers, or budget is a huge concern (i.e. *purchasing Mac equivalent software as necessary, although these days very few major apps are not available on both platforms which is the point).

If you have a few Windows apps that requires windows or is your preference, instead invest in Parallels or VMware Fusion, install a cheap OEM copy of XP Home or Pro (not Vista) and run both on any newer Intel Mac. Just make sure it has an anti-virus tool, don't bother installing anything else, create a few shared folders and even copy/paste between Mac and Windows if you wish. Bootcamp is all about booting to one or the other, not both at the same time (where Windows is a virtual guest running on your Mac which is the host). I run Parallels, works great.

-jim

*Note, we do not condone discussion of "hacked" licenses of popular Windows software ported to Mac. :)

rhopper

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2008
right but what im saying is i cant just boot up my windows copy of cs3, i would need to either install windows and boot into it as a second OS. if I run virtual windows will it run my windows copy of cs3 just fine?

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
right but what im saying is i cant just boot up my windows copy of cs3, i would need to either install windows and boot into it as a second OS. if I run virtual windows will it run my windows copy of cs3 just fine?

Should. Though of note, I believe running through a VM your ram in halved. But as long as you aren't doing intensive Flash or Print work you should be fine. And you need a Windows license for the Mac. But other than that it should be hunky dory.

rhopper

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2008
Can't you call Adobe and see about a crossgrade program to get mac versions? I have a photographer friend who wants to get a macbook and told me he looked into it. I'm pretty sure he said it was a possibility.

its $159 a license to swap over

InLikeALion

macrumors 6502a
its $159 a license to swap over

Well, that's a lot cheaper than buying new, but that is still pretty steep. I'd say set up bootcamp, and get vmware fusion, which will use that same bootcamp installation as it's virtual machine for those times you don't want to reboot for native speed. I've been using the Fusion beta for a while (now in RC1) and like its feel and options a lot more than Parallels 3.

astaab

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2008
Cross-grade is free -- I did it

It doesn't cost a thing to cross-grade from Windows license to Mac license. There's just a couple of forms to fill out, sign and fax in. Tedious, but not unreasonable. I own CS3 Web Standard and the process worked perfectly. Adobe shipped out brand new install media for the Mac.

Just call Adobe and tell them you want to cross-grade. It's FREE.

rhopper

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2008
hmm Ill have to look into cross-grading it then. all else fails when I want to use adobe software (which will be a LOT) I will just install xp (i have a copy of my own) and dual-boot.. that way it doesnt half my ram.. because Im a web designer and I deal with a lot of flash and heavy graphics..:apple:

rhopper

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2008
Heavy graphics in web design? :confused:

well by that I mean running photoshop, flash, dreamweaver and after effects all at the same time.. I dont like to edit an image or animation, close the program, open another edit, close, open, repeat.. i just like it all open and working at once. hence why I also need to find a docking station or something so I can have 2 monitors

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I am seriously considering to converting to the Mac world but my only concern is the fact that ive payed a lot for various Adobe software but they are all windows versions. My only concern is that I wont be able to use these and will have to purchase a bunch of Mac licenses.. or can you still use them via bootcamp?

Adobe will let you convert the licenses. Just call Adobe customer service. There may be some nominal charge like $10 or something for the new CDs. But you will NOT have to "purchase a bunch of Mac licenses". On the other hand to use Boot Camp you would have to buy a copy of Windows.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
and dual-boot.. that way it doesnt half my ram.. because Im a web designer and I deal with a lot of flash and heavy graphics..:apple:

"half my ram?" That is not what happens. Anyone can verify this my looking at Activity Monitor while running VMware's Fusion. Try it. You can assign as much or as little RAM to Fusion as you like and it may not even use the amount assigned.

Look into Sun's "Virtual Box". It does the same thing as Fusion or Parallels but Sun offers it for free, zero cost. So you can try out the concept with little to risk.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
well by that I mean running photoshop, flash, dreamweaver and after effects all at the same time.. I dont like to edit an image or animation, close the program, open another edit, close, open, repeat.. i just like it all open and working at once. hence why I also need to find a docking station or something so I can have 2 monitors

OSX is much better for multi-tasking, so you should crossgrade to osx version.

There is something called "DisplayLink" that will allow you to connect to displays via usb.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.