Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kidwithshirt

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2008
Hey I just got an iphone 2g last week. Played around with 2.0.2 JB and never really tested out the battery since I was always messing around so it was plugged in.

Took iphone finally into the real world today. I used it a bit last night, maybe 1 hour of browsing etc, and maybe 4 other hours on iPod feature (I guess the counter in the phone counts ipod usage as general usage too?)

And today I probably played a couple minutes of spore and monkey ball to show my friends. Made 2 or 3 short calls, texted 4 messages

When I got home the battery is red, after one day of use.

Is this typical? Or is this battery is totally abnormal? According to the guy he had it for 6 month or so I think, so the battery shouldn't be totally screwed up yet.

Anyway my conception is that the battery should be slightly longer... you know, last a couple days with general usage from time to time.

neesh0

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
since you just got it you should let the phone drain its battery completely untill the phone turns off then charge it fully afterwards for a more accurate battery reading.

gt1948

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2007
since you just got it you should let the phone drain its battery completely untill the phone turns off then charge it fully afterwards for a more accurate battery reading.

not neccessary

rsk137

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2008
Power and battery
Built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery3
Charging via USB to computer system or power adapter
Talk time:4
Up to 5 hours on 3G
Up to 10 hours on 2G
Standby time: Up to 300 hours5
Internet use:
Up to 5 hours on 3G6
Up to 6 hours on Wi-Fi7
Video playback: Up to 7 hours8
Audio playback: Up to 24 hours9

That's from apple's site. Real world seems to take more than a toll on the battery than the specs say, but in the end it's all about what you use it for and how long.

Click here for full list of iPhone's specs

ttech10

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2008
I recently got the iHome clock radio and I put my iPhone into that every night to listen to music and it charges... so I haven't had to worry about it dying on me.

Before though, while using it to text, talk, internet and iPod it would last me a good few days... that's with the 2G.

I haven't seen any huge difference with the 3G battery life. The only problem I would have is it randomly losing most of it's charge within 45 minutes or so.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Yes, that's normal.

With normal 'moderate' use my phone generally gets to 17-18 hours (with 4-5 hours of "use" being logged).

Those numbers only happened when I was experimenting, though, and not charging on purpose. Since then I:

* Always plug it in while in my car.
* Always plug it in while I'm in bed.

Just doing that keeps me good.

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
Yes, that's normal.

With normal 'moderate' use my phone generally gets to 17-18 hours (with 4-5 hours of "use" being logged).

Those numbers only happened when I was experimenting, though, and not charging on purpose. Since then I:

* Always plug it in while in my car.
* Always plug it in while I'm in bed.

Just doing that keeps me good.
Different schools of thought here...

Some say that you should keep the charge on a Li-Ion battery as high as possible at all times. Just keep recharging and recharging and the battery will live longer.

Others say that you will kill the battery quicker if you keep putting the device on recharge more frequently than necessary. The reason for that is that every time you plug it in, you initiate a new recharge cycle, and the batteries only have a few thousand recharge cycles in them. In other words it's possible to run down a battery you've barely used, for example in a laptop, if you keep plugging and unplugging the charger.

cellocello

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2008
Toronto, ON
Different schools of thought here...

Some say that you should keep the charge on a Li-Ion battery as high as possible at all times. Just keep recharging and recharging and the battery will live longer.

Others say that you will kill the battery quicker if you keep putting the device on recharge more frequently than necessary. The reason for that is that every time you plug it in, you initiate a new recharge cycle, and the batteries only have a few thousand recharge cycles in them. In other words it's possible to run down a battery you've barely used, for example in a laptop, if you keep plugging and unplugging the charger.

I've read that Li-Ion batteries are 'happiest' keeping between 20 and 80% of their charge. I've also read that charging is 'hard' on Li-Ion batteries, and one should avoid just charging it all the time willy nilly (like, say, "topping it off" before leaving in the morning after charging it all night).

jbt2008

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2008
I too just got a 1st gen iphone and have noticed the battery isn't great. One thing I did notice though was switching off the data fetching to manual has really helped. I let mine go for about a day and a half of mixed use and the battery is needing a charge, not too bad in my opinion. I too have been letting it drain down then do a full recharge at night.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.