Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gan6660

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 18, 2008
ok so i have an iHome speaker dock, Bose sounddock, Apple dock and usb ac charger. Now if i got the 2g touch none of those things would charge it?

NizryErrat

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2008
BOSE Sound Dock and iPod Touch 2G

First post on these forums, but I thought people might want to know this.

I was shocked to read this morning about the problems people are having with charging the 2nd generation iPod touch through the BOSE Sound Dock. I bought the BOSE a couple of months ago, and intend to buy a Touch next week. :(

I called BOSE's UK customer service line and asked about the problem. As a result, I can now pass on some good news. BOSE are aware of the probem.... and have been able to find a solution. :D

They are offering to collect the docks from their customers and install new software into the unit which does apparently allow it to charge the new 2nd generation Touch. You can arrange this through the normal BOSE customer service lines.

Hope this at least helps some people on here.

Gadgetnutter

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2008
First post as well.

I'm afraid the information above isn't entirely accurate!

The fix Bose are talking about is for the SoundDock *Portable* only
I too have had several long conversations with Bose UK, having purchased my SoundDock 4 months ago and have basically been told "tough luck". Bose are blaming Apple for making the changes to the charging circuit and are claiming they were caught unawares just like everyone else!

Interestingly an initial call to Apple Care resulted in me being told that all accessory manufacturers have known for 12 months+ that these changes were going to be made!

NizryErrat

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2008
Ah...

Ah... :eek:

Apologies for getting any false hopes up then. Mine is a portable but I assumed the update was available for both.

Sorry.

SCOSCHE

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2008
Southern California
passPORT

The in-car version of the passPORT will be available in Apple stores in mid to late October. It will be kept behind the scenes at the Genius bars, so you will have to specifically ask for it. It will also be available on Scosche.com shortly thereafter.

The home docking solution is in the final stages of product development and will be available very soon as well. I will probably be giving a few free samples out of each product on this forum to support you guys.

Stay tuned . . .

SCOSCHE

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2008
Southern California
The in-car passPORT will be available in Apple Europe stores in mid to late October. The home docking station solution has not been finalized yet, but I will let you know once we get further along.

crunchiespg

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2008
i had to buy a new griffin i trip today as my old ones doesnt work with my new 2g touch..

the newer style i trips work perfectly...

quick5pnt0

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2008
Scosche: What are the differences between the home and auto versions? One would assume they'd both do the same thing. Can you give some details?

BTW Thanks for the update, I'll be keeping an eye out for it.

granavefenix

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2008
One question:

the 2G touch does´t work (play music) on the BOSE sound dock, or it only doesn´t charge when docked? If it only plays music but no charging, there is no a big problem for me. But if it doesn´t work (charge neither play), it is a big problem for me.

Excuse me for my poor english. I´m from Spain.

Thanks.

granavefenix

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2008
Thanks bildio. With 36 hours of battery, it won´t be a big problem for me.

I`ll keep waiting for charging adapters that would be in market soon.

I have not lost my BOSE SoundDock.:)

SCOSCHE

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2008
Southern California
quick5pnt0,

The car solution is designed for an inline system like the iPod cable found in many in-car integration systems. Without releasing too much information, the home system is designed for the universal dock adapter found in many home docking stations.

MCP1981

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2008
The in-car version of the passPORT will be available in Apple stores in mid to late October. It will be kept behind the scenes at the Genius bars, so you will have to specifically ask for it. It will also be available on Scosche.com shortly thereafter.

The home docking solution is in the final stages of product development and will be available very soon as well. I will probably be giving a few free samples out of each product on this forum to support you guys.

Stay tuned . . .

I have been looking for this item ever since someone at Best Buy mentioned it to me. I called your sales department and they mentioned it should be sold on Apple's website sometime soon. Do you know if this is true and if so, will it happen before mid to late October? I am axiously waiting to buy it!

Loop68

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2008
We (my daugther and I ) have Ipods (Touch and Nano-previous model). Both were working ok (charge and sound) with my portable BOSE Sound dock. Suddenly, they stopped working. I thought the Sounddock got damage. Surprise! When I arrive to the Bose customer service the salesman’s plugged in his Ipod on my dock...It worked fine. He told me that something is happening with my two Ipods that I have (Touch and Nano). Could there be possible that the firmware update that I installed recently could impact the compatibility with my sounddock? The mistery is why I didn't have any problem with my two ipods on the Bose portable sounddock until few weeks ago? Someone knows what can I do? Could be possible the downgrade of the firmware? It is the only explanation that I see.

The firmware on my Touch is 1.1.5)

Loop68

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2008
Sorry for my english. I am a latino that want to share a similar problem.
We (my daugther and I ) have Ipods (Touch and Nano-previous model). Both were working ok (charge and sound) with my portable BOSE Sound dock. Suddenly, they stopped working. I thought the Sounddock got damage. Surprise! When I arrive to the Bose customer service the salesman’s plugged in his Ipod on my dock...It worked fine. He told me that something is happening with my two Ipods that I have (Touch and Nano). Could there be possible that the firmware update that I installed recently could impact the compatibility with my sounddock? The mistery is why I didn't have any problem with my two ipods on the Bose portable sounddock until few weeks ago? Someone knows what can I do? Could be possible the downgrade of the firmware? It is the only explanation that I see.

The firmware on my Touch is 1.1.5)

doc4x5

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2008
the great Pacific northwest
returned ipod touch 2G-wouldn't charge with older accessories

I just returned from my local Apple store where I returned the ipod touch 2G I had purchased this morning. While they were pleasant and polite and did not charge me the 10% restocking fee, unfortunately, no one had told me the ipod touch 2G would not charge with ANY of my older accessories, including the expensive adapter I had just had installed in my car. Someone at the store said it was a "firewire problem;" all I know is that they changed something major with no notice. I understand that they cannot support older stuff forever, but this seemed a bit much. I looked on the Apple support website and saw a full page of messages by outraged people who had car adapters, expensive Bose speakers and other things. I went to Costco and got an ipod classic, for $10 less than the Apple store charges and with a 90 day no questions asked refund policy. I love Apple's products, but they do seem a bit greedy at times.

doc

Gadgetnutter

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2008
I just purchased a 1G Touch 32Gb for exactly the same reason!

I have a Bose SoundDock and Belkin Tunecast FM and didn't want to have to replace them.

HMV in the UK sold me the 1G Touch 32Gb for £10 less than the Apple store are selling the 2G Touch and threw in a free set of Gear4 Houseparty 4 speakers worth £69.99

I also figured that accessories for the 1G wouldn't be a problem (cases, invisible shield etc..) whereas it will likely be a little while before the 2G accessories land in any volume.

Traz

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2008
I was in a local Apple store today & asked them about the touch 2G not charging with the Bose sound dock. He plugged my new Touch in to the Bose dock there & it worked just fine. I ordered a DLO dock before I heard they might not work on the Touch 2G. I don't have it yet but will try it as soon as it comes.

Gadgetnutter

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2008
..and I *guarantee* he plugged it into a SoundDock PORTABLE...the £299.95 (in the UK) one.

I say again and it has been acknowledged by Apple and Bose that the Ipod Touch 2G DOES NOT CHARGE in the original Bose SoundDock.

There are even problems with the SoundDock Portable that need a Bose modification RTB repair.

Next time you're in the Apple store pull the power cord from the SoundDock portable whilst your 2G Touch is connected...bet it still shows as charging!! (Unless of course, the already have a Bose modified one)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.