Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

the vj

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 23, 2006
Ok, this is very silly but I do not know how...

I need my Mac Mini to wake up at 8pm, start up a quicktime video full screen in a loop until 2am, then shut down again. And I need it to do that over and over again for a month.

How can I do that?

I want to tell the computer what video to play back once. Probably I may create a new video later on and I would have to switch videos and play the new one only in a loop as well.

The thing is...

I have this projector that is gonna be playing back a video during nightime. No one is going to controll it. In order to power down the projector I need to put the computer to sleep and not sending any video signal at all. That way the projector will go to sleep and it will wake up again by itself when receiving a video signal.

Thank you very much for your help.

lee1210

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
Dallas, TX
From system preferences, choose energy saver, then "Schedule". You can then set your wake and sleep times. Then you can set up an applescript to launch your video. I would just set an alarm in iCal to run the apple script. It shouldn't be too rough using the quicktime or VLC dictionary.

-Lee

the vj

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 23, 2006
Duh, if I am placing a question here is to actually have some one figure out the apple script for me.

lee1210

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
Dallas, TX
Duh, if I am placing a question here is to actually have some one figure out the apple script for me.

Good luck, with that attitude! You didn't even mention an intent to use applescript for this task, and you certainly didn't say "I'm trying to start a video in quicktime in full-screen mode in a loop, i'm having trouble doing this with applescript, here's what i've tried, any tips?". Open Script Editor, under file choose Open Dictionary, and choose the program you want to play the movie with. All of the available actions will be listed. Chances are it will be something like:
Code:
tell application "x"
  play "Macintosh HD::Movies::My Movie.mpg"
  fullscreen
  repeat on
end tell

-Lee

the vj

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 23, 2006
Mmmm....! thank you. Ages without using it since OS9.

Dude, I am doing 387581273487623498726 a minute, I wish I could be a programmer, 3D animator and a bunch stuff, no time. I even wish i had a boyfriend for my girlfriend, no time.

Thanx.

lee1210

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
Dallas, TX
Code:
tell application "QuickTime Player"
	activate
	open "Path:To:Movie:Here"
	set doc to (get document 1)
	set doc's looping to true
	present doc
end tell

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.