Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jcnoob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2008
sometimes it take ages for me to start firefox on my leopard.
is there a way to prefetch firefox on startup or tweak it so it's faster? (dont say anything about about:config) should i switch to camino? i just want a nice browser/fast page loading and startup

darkcurse

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2005
Sydney
System Preferences -> Accounts -> Login Items -> Add Firefox to the list and set it to hide. This will launch FF at startup and it will be instantly available to you when you need it :)

jcnoob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2008
umm i dont want the application to open at startup. what i mean is like how windows preload some of IE's files and stuff at boot so when you launch it it's much faster.

darkcurse

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2005
Sydney
Well, other than opening the application at startup there is no real way of "pre-loading" Firefox to make it start faster etc. If you do it my way, it will launch then be hidden so you don't actually see it until you need it. Win-win IMO :)

Salmar

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2007
Florida
Firefox Tweak to speed loading

I came across this suggestion in one of my windows forums last night to speed up loading of the browser. It also works in firefox 3 for Mac:

"Start Firefox3 and go to Tools Menu >>> Option >>> (in the new window) chose Advanced >>> Network Tab >>>
(in connection Table) press Setting button >>> (in the new window) chose Manual Proxy Configuration >>>
type in the HTTP Proxy Field: 127.0.0.1 >>> and Port: 0 >>> click OK >>> click OK >>> restart your firefox3"

no need to uninstall any Adds-ons , Extension , Plugins . . .
no need to change your security setting , firewall , anti virus . . .
no need to clean your firefox3 cache , history , cookies . . .
no need to restart your windows Xp , Vista
no need to change , uninstall , disable your firewall and anti virus

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.