Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jb60606

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 27, 2008
Chicago
First off, I'm not knocking those that pre-order movies off of ATV/iTunes.

I just noticed iTunes has IronMan available for "pre-order". I'm just wondering what the benefit is? It's a digital download, so there is no "limited quantity". Are pre-orders available for download earlier than others?

Thanks

jb60606

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 27, 2008
Chicago
question: Is it possible to pre-order the HD version of Ironman?

It's not on Apple TV, and iTunes on my Mac doesn't appear to give an option to buy the HD version.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
No HD Movies as of Yet. The SD Movies should be under $10, at $14.99 you're better off going and buying the DVD and encoding it.

fivepoint

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2007
IOWA
The main question I still have...

Is there a normal discount amount for pre-ordered iTunes movies, or not?

paulinhadrp

macrumors member
May 30, 2008
Southfield, MI
I think the only advantage of pre-ordering, since the price is no smaller, is that just in case you forget that the movie was released on launch day, you will have a pleasant surprise when opening your iTunes that day...

I don't know.. I was wondering the same thing myself when I saw that Iron Man pre-ordering....

jb60606

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 27, 2008
Chicago
No HD Movies as of Yet. The SD Movies should be under $10, at $14.99 you're better off going and buying the DVD and encoding it.

that's right - I forgot about that. Thanks

Originally Posted by fivepoint

The main question I still have...

Is there a normal discount amount for pre-ordered iTunes movies, or not?

I don't think there is a discount. I've never seen any iTunes movie selling for more than $14.99, which is what the IronMan pre-order is priced at.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
the only good thing about pre-orders from itunes basically is so you don't forget to download it? at least thats my take on it. music and movies alike.

Chris Rogers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
my house
pre-orders are just a way for a company to collect interest on money earlier in exchange for nothing. They just want your money sooner. If they give you a discount for it, yes it may be worth it. But if no discount, you're better off earning interest on your money rather than having them earn it for you.

Now if there were pre-orders for a hot item like the iPhone that would be hard to get a hold of in the first few weeks, then it may be worth considering pre-ordering.

Just my $0.02

@ 14.99 you can pay that for a month's worth of Netflix service and rip them

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
except they don't collect the money for the purchase until its actually downloaded from iTunes, and similarly with amazon, until it ships. so very few pre-orders are like that these days.

Chris Rogers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
my house
except they don't collect the money for the purchase until its actually downloaded from iTunes, and similarly with amazon, until it ships. so very few pre-orders are like that these days.

That's cool that they do it like that. I was going to pre-order a Wii last fall and they wanted $ first.

With iTunes - Preorder away :apple:

fivepoint

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2007
IOWA
@ 14.99 you can pay that for a month's worth of Netflix service and rip them

If I remember correctly, that's the 2 DVDs at a time plan! AND the video would be of significantly higher quality.

I would think twice paying $14.99, even for a HD version! Apple needs to work REALLY hard at getting prices down and increasing TV Show content. That will help adoptions rates, considerably.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
If I remember correctly, that's the 2 DVDs at a time plan! AND the video would be of significantly higher quality.

I would think twice paying $14.99, even for a HD version! Apple needs to work REALLY hard at getting prices down and increasing TV Show content. That will help adoptions rates, considerably.

'cept that ripping them is against the law, and a copyright violation since you don't own the movie.

jb60606

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 27, 2008
Chicago
the only good thing about pre-orders from itunes basically is so you don't forget to download it? at least thats my take on it. music and movies alike.

If the HD version were available for download, I might have considered it... since I only have 3mb DSL and an HD download takes about 4hrs to complete. If the download kicks off while I'm sleeping or at work, there's some value to pre-ordering.

I'll just pick up the DVD for $19, or BR for $30.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.