Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

holysmoke

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2008
Why doesnt apple use a 2-button trackpad? I've noticed that the new mighty mouse does have a right click, even when you use it with a mac. Why doesnt apple integrate that feature into their laptops? I'm really looking to convert, I'm practically sure that I'm gonna buy the macbooks the day they are launched, but this is a minor irritant..

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
It is. put a second finger on the trackpad, click and you get right click.

withoutaface

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2008
the Mighty Mouse and trackpad both have right clicking but its disabled by default (WHY? :mad:). enable it Keyboard & Mouse preferences.
It's been a deliberate design decision on Apple's part, because:
1. Having two buttons on a mouse confuses people who are new to computers. Tech support becomes tedious when you have to tell people which mouse button to click all the time.
2. It makes sure that any application programmers make all functionality accessible from the dropdown menus, rather than cheating with secondary click functionality.

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
Why doesnt apple use a 2-button trackpad? I've noticed that the new mighty mouse does have a right click, even when you use it with a mac. Why doesnt apple integrate that feature into their laptops? I'm really looking to convert, I'm practically sure that I'm gonna buy the macbooks the day they are launched, but this is a minor irritant..

Thank God they don't use 2 physical buttons on the trackpad - the current solution is awesome!

If you want to right click just either tap with two fingers instead of one or put a second finger on the trackpad and press the trackpad button. Scrolling works the same way - move two fingers on the trackpad in any direction you want and it will scroll in that direction.

:) :cool:

*Sandy*

macrumors 6502
Thank God they don't use 2 physical buttons on the trackpad - the current solution is awesome!

If you want to right click just either tap with two fingers instead of one or put a second finger on the trackpad and press the trackpad button. Scrolling works the same way - move two fingers on the trackpad in any direction you want and it will scroll in that direction.

:) :cool:

I agree, I love it this way, I would never want 2 buttons!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.