Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

exhibitionist

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2004
Is there a definitive list of installable codecs among other things for hacked Apple TV's? I bought an Apple TV, and it's basically a jukebox. I cannot play a single video in my 1.5TB library on it.

I need to be able to play any combination of AVC-L5, ASP-L5, AAC-LC (VBR+CBR), MP3, AC3 streams in either AVI or MP4 containers. Can I do this if I hack my Apple TV? What about Matroska, AAC-HE 5.1, DTS pass-through, OGG & FLAC-L8? What are the TRUE technical limits of the Apple TV hardware?

Should I just return this thing and save my money for a PS3? I am so sick of watching videos on my MacBook.

tom1971

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2007
Is there a definitive list of installable codecs among other things for hacked Apple TV's? I bought an Apple TV, and it's basically a jukebox. I cannot play a single video in my 1.5TB library on it.

I need to be able to play any combination of AVC-L5, ASP-L5, AAC-LC (VBR+CBR), MP3, AC3 streams in either AVI or MP4 containers. Can I do this if I hack my Apple TV? What about Matroska, AAC-HE 5.1, DTS pass-through, OGG & FLAC-L8? What are the TRUE technical limits of the Apple TV hardware?

Should I just return this thing and save my money for a PS3? I am so sick of watching videos on my MacBook.

Matroshka will not run well, there are several threads about that.
AVI, mpeg etc. can be run with the hacks that are out there.

Scott6666

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2008
Try going to http://www.atvflash.com. You can get a nifty little app that puts all the hacks and codecs on your ATV in no time. It took me less that 1/2 to burn the flash drive and do the upgrade. Programs are not so user friendly unless you are a geek but it does seem to play everything now.

exhibitionist

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2004
ATVFlash looks like a winner! I've got a PC w/TVersity set-up, and it looks like it supports uPnP media servers, too. Awesome. Thanks.

edit: it even supports 480P MKV?! So my anime will work fine?! With proper audio and sub track options?!!)!W@!#(13 ZOMG.

VS007

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2008
Try going to http://www.atvflash.com. You can get a nifty little app that puts all the hacks and codecs on your ATV in no time. It took me less that 1/2 to burn the flash drive and do the upgrade. Programs are not so user friendly unless you are a geek but it does seem to play everything now.

You are right! Installing ATVFlash was breeze, took about half an hour or so.
Most of my avi files are playing, but there are few ones which play on my VLC player on my MBA, not on ATV despite installing MPlayer codecs.
The menus are one too many and needs to have a concise user manual about all the options.
Wish ATV had VLC player straightaway.

tom1971

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2007
ATVFlash looks like a winner! I've got a PC w/TVersity set-up, and it looks like it supports uPnP media servers, too. Awesome. Thanks.

edit: it even supports 480P MKV?! So my anime will work fine?! With proper audio and sub track options?!!)!W@!#(13 ZOMG.

You need a Mac to use ATVFlash. They don't mention it explicitely on their website, but you do.
check their forums and see people complain about it.
you can get a windows solution here: http://www.patchstick.ca

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.