Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

medel13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2007
I have a 30GB Photo iPod and it is stuck in "Recovery Mode" and restoring the iPod does not fix this problem.

When I plug my iPod into my computer it says "iTunes has detected an iPod in recovery mode. You must restore this iPod before it can be used with iTunes."

I choose to restore the iPod (it erases my songs and settings, etc...); I follow the instructions to plug the iPod into a wall outlet. I choose English as my language...and finally, I plug it back into my computer to add back the songs....HOWEVER...I get the same message: "iTunes has detected an iPod in recovery mode. You must restore this iPod before it can be used with iTunes." and the process repeats....

I've restored my iPod about 5 times now and nothing changes. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance.

foxyloon

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2007
Perpetual Restoration

Help!

My Ipod 30GB 5th Gen is caught in a perpetual restoration. Everytime I turn it on or attach it to iTunes, it goes through the restoration process. I have done the "reset" thing with it, but again it has to go through the restoration process when I link it to the computer.

Help!

Thanks

russell26

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2007
error code 1418

Hi,
I have a photo ipod and itunes told me that my ipod had become corrupted and i had to restore it too, i tried this but got the error code 1418.
The apple site tells you to download the latest itunes to fix the problem but having done that mine's still doing the same thing.
never had any problems with ipod before this but dont wanna have to buy a new one!

This is what the site says but doesn't seem to work in my case.

Error 1415, 1417, 1418, or 1428: Cannot restore or update iPod in iTunes 7 or later
Symptom

When restoring or updating an iPod in iTunes 7 or later, you may see a dialog reporting "An unknown error has occurred" followed by the error number 1415, 1417, 1418, or 1428.
Products Affected

iTunes 7 or later
Any iPod model
Solution

Update iTunes to the latest version and attempt to restore your iPod.
Try connecting your iPod to a different USB port and restore.
Remove any third-party USB devices you have connected to your computer (it is not necessary to remove your keyboard or mouse).
If you use Windows, re-register .dll files as described in article #304996.
For Windows users, update or reinstall your Windows USB drivers.
Note: If you have an iPod shuffle you may need to use the iPod Reset Utility to restore the iPod. If you are not sure which iPod you have, see Apple Support document 61688: Identifying different iPod models.

Hipnomac

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2007
Chicago
Help!

My Ipod 30GB 5th Gen is caught in a perpetual restoration. Everytime I turn it on or attach it to iTunes, it goes through the restoration process. I have done the "reset" thing with it, but again it has to go through the restoration process when I link it to the computer.

Help!

Thanks

This is happening to me, does anybody have a solution, I have gone into disk mode, and the same thing happens. Also I did a HDD test and it says it passes, the battery is fine, I just can't get it to restore. error 1429. I was able to wipe it once, but every time i connect it says it is corrupted.

modcomms

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2008
Same problem with a 6GB mini, interestingly enough, my iPod still plays music and when this happened before, as in the perpetual recovery loop, and i managed to get music back on it, it still worked. So, the question is how to fix it. Tried the re-assign dll option as reccomened, removed excess USB devices, checked drivers, updated itunes, tried restoring a few times. Ipod is a 6GB mini, computer is a Windows XP machine.

any help appreciated

cheers

rolling

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2008
iPod will not restore

After reading about others troubles with there iPods and being stuck in the restore loop myself, I started looking at repairs from Apple as there is no Apple store within 200 miles of me and was pissed to see repairs would cost $130 and would take a week. (30Gb Video iPod) + shipping.

I tried:
1. simply using the (Mac) iTunes restore. - loop restart, iPod needs Restored.
2. restarting iPod as Disk and using the Itunes restore. loop
3. running a diagnostic. Nothing wrong.
4. running restore from a windows iTunes, loop
5. running restore from my (mac book pro). loop

Well having the hot temper :mad: I do. I tossed the iPod over my shoulder and well :rolleyes: it works great now. G'Day.

swearbymac07

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2007
Same with me....but not anymore

Thanks to iFuntastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! For iPOD TOUCH AND IPHONE

I opened iFuntastic and selected the appropriate firmware (1.1.4 + Upgrade) and clicked Exit Recovery Mode / Reboot Device. It downloaded something (although i think it didnt and my device is NOT jailbroken :D:D:D:D:D:D:D) then said 'Exiting recovery...' and 'Rebooting...' my iPod then showed up with 'Slide to Unlock' and everything was still there.

My symptoms were (before iFuntastic):

iTunes wouldn't recognize it

So i put it in DFU/Recover Mode, it wouldn't exit out of it!!!!!
So i used that.

Everybody....check for Apple Mobile Device Support on your Macs/PCs because if thats gone....reinstall iTunes and the Device Support because thats why it wouldnt work or Restore. Oh and btw........using iFuntastic prevented a restore. :D:D:D:D:D:D

Cheers All + Hope this helps anyone

JustMsc

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2008
Real Fix - Finally Got It Working!!!

Ok, so I finally go my iPod working after this constant restore thing. I have a first generation iPod Nano but I assume it will work for all iPods. This is what I did:

First I reset the iPod and went into Diagnostics Mode. If you don't know how to do this then you must click the link posted above to figure out the commands. I looked at my iPod status and it was fine but when i tried to view the HD_stats it would freeze and wouldn't display anything. I assumed my HD was corrupted or something.

The next thing you need to do is put your iPod into Disc Mode. Again, if you don't know how to do this read above and figure out the command for your iPod. After you do this you should be able to access your iPod as a "Removable Disc" on your computer through My Computer (if your using a PC). You need to REFORMAT your iPod HD. You can do this by right clicking on a PC and selecting "Format Drive" or some option like that. Mine actually prompted me to format the drive after I double clicked on it.

After you reformat the iPod HD go back into Diagnostics mode and check the HD_status again. If this was the problem and it is fixed now you should see a screen with your HD stats. Congrats if you get this far because there is only one more step and it should work.

Now all you need to do is restore your iPod one last time from iTunes. It will look like it did before when it wasn't working but when you get the message "Your iPod has been restored and will reappear in iTunes when it is done," it will actually work. You should see the Apple Logo on the screen and a progress bar at the bottom that wasn't there before. If you see this then the restore was a success!!! Hope this helps everyone!!!

xosugarstars

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2008
HELP my ipod will NOT restore! :S

I have a iPod video classic (8o GB)

When I connected it to iTunes, it said it didn't recognize my iPod
and it needed to be restored to its factory settings.

It brought me to the iPod's summary where I clicked the restore button.
But instead of it restoring it brought up another box which said:

'The iPod could not be restored. An unknown error has occurred.(1436).'

I'd really appreciate if someone could help me figure this out. I want to
fix my iPod.

PLEASE && THANKS! ;)

yotoad

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2008
iPod 5.5 80gb

ok -- i'm in the middle of getting all my songs back on my 80gb ipod 5.5 gen

i was stuck in the restore loop -- over and over and over again -- so what did i do?

i don't know!!!

i tried restoring the ipod with mac (10.5.4) and iTunes 7.7.1 to no avail, then i used disk mode, which worked until it asked me to restore the iPod -- then it was the same old same old. so i then proceeded to get out my 9 year old thinkpad running windows xp pro and iTunes 7.7.1, restored the iPod with the thinkpad, then the loop started again. then disk mode / tried to format the ipod / nothing happened.

then when i attached it to the Mac as a windows-formatted iPod, i restored it and voila, it restored.

i was pretty upset about this problem considering i bought the iPod from Apple (refurb) on July 30, 2007 -- exactly one week after the warranty expired. let's hope it works!

looking fervently for a 100 gb + solid state iPod . . .

sroni570

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2008
Ok, so I finally go my iPod working after this constant restore thing. I have a first generation iPod Nano but I assume it will work for all iPods. This is what I did:

First I reset the iPod and went into Diagnostics Mode. If you don't know how to do this then you must click the link posted above to figure out the commands. I looked at my iPod status and it was fine but when i tried to view the HD_stats it would freeze and wouldn't display anything. I assumed my HD was corrupted or something.

The next thing you need to do is put your iPod into Disc Mode. Again, if you don't know how to do this read above and figure out the command for your iPod. After you do this you should be able to access your iPod as a "Removable Disc" on your computer through My Computer (if your using a PC). You need to REFORMAT your iPod HD. You can do this by right clicking on a PC and selecting "Format Drive" or some option like that. Mine actually prompted me to format the drive after I double clicked on it.

After you reformat the iPod HD go back into Diagnostics mode and check the HD_status again. If this was the problem and it is fixed now you should see a screen with your HD stats. Congrats if you get this far because there is only one more step and it should work.

Now all you need to do is restore your iPod one last time from iTunes. It will look like it did before when it wasn't working but when you get the message "Your iPod has been restored and will reappear in iTunes when it is done," it will actually work. You should see the Apple Logo on the screen and a progress bar at the bottom that wasn't there before. If you see this then the restore was a success!!! Hope this helps everyone!!!

This really did work. I was able to get my ipod to restore and work properly. Thank you sooo much!!!

jimjamz

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2008
help..

ive done all of the ideas, changing the usb drive reformatting,i htink i did that wrong because mine says this...(o yeah my HD is fine...sooo) i go into SDRAM full test and its is like
runs: BL on
Pass:BL blink
Fail:BL off

reset to continue.
and yeah so anyone help i really would like to make my ipod work, without spending 200 bucks.
THNKS PLEASE HELP

sroni570

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2008
my ipod wont restore

Are you sure you reformatted the ipod right? Because when I tried to reformat my ipod, the computer said that this removable drive cannot be reformatted. However, i kept trying and finally, right before i gave up, i plugged my ipod up with a different usb cord, to my ipod wall-charger. As soon as I did this, i went back to hd status, and instead of freezing, it gave me the details I needed to see, letting me know my ipod was working again. Maybe this can work for you if you have a wall or car charger. Good Luck!

djessex

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2008
perpetual recovery mode

Okay I am now getting to the point where i have tried all suggestions. I have a 30gb fourth generation classic. Itunes keeps trying to restore from recovery mode. I hvae tried the diagnostics, it lets me look at the hd, I have run tests on memory and all buttons, no errors in fact a complete diognostics test. It seems all okay. The one thing I can't find is HD_status.. can you tell me which menu to look in..

macman83

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2008
"Recovery Mode" and restoring the iPod does not fix this problem

hi i have the same problem.. did you manage to fix it.. or any way i can get the info on how to... also have tried deleting ipod though utility disc an still does'nt work.. any help.. would be greatful..
thanks

I have a 30GB Photo iPod and it is stuck in "Recovery Mode" and restoring the iPod does not fix this problem.

When I plug my iPod into my computer it says "iTunes has detected an iPod in recovery mode. You must restore this iPod before it can be used with iTunes."

I choose to restore the iPod (it erases my songs and settings, etc...); I follow the instructions to plug the iPod into a wall outlet. I choose English as my language...and finally, I plug it back into my computer to add back the songs....HOWEVER...I get the same message: "iTunes has detected an iPod in recovery mode. You must restore this iPod before it can be used with iTunes." and the process repeats....

I've restored my iPod about 5 times now and nothing changes. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance.

sroni570

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2008
hd status

Okay I am now getting to the point where i have tried all suggestions. I have a 30gb fourth generation classic. Itunes keeps trying to restore from recovery mode. I hvae tried the diagnostics, it lets me look at the hd, I have run tests on memory and all buttons, no errors in fact a complete diognostics test. It seems all okay. The one thing I can't find is HD_status.. can you tell me which menu to look in..

To get to hd-status, restart you ipod (switch the hold switch a couple times, then press and hold both the enter button(the center), and the menu button. As soon as the apple logo pops up, begin pressing and holding both the center button and the rewind button (for like maybe 10 seconds). Then a new screen comes up, it has a white background and says (i think)diagonostics at the top. Anyways, slide down over the different words by pressing the forward button. Then you will come across hd-status, if you see the information pop up under status, then that is good, your ipod should be working. For me, then trick was plugging my ipod up to my wall charger, not my computer (i dont know why), but after i did that, information come up under my hd-status, and then it was able to work with my computer again. The only thing is, i had to reenter almost all my songs. If you have anymore questions, you can email me at sharonnie@bellsouth.net

bashocker2000

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2008
Endless recovery

I too was in the endless recovery loop. When all else fails, format (I have a windows pc, i know boo hiss) the ipod and you it might work for you too.

uraydo

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2009
after having this problem with my 1st gen ipod nano, I looked all over the Internet for a solution. most searches resulted in dead ends. however I did hear of a two tails that sparked my interest. One was of a man who threw his ipod at the wall, fixing the problem. the second was of a man who replaced his metal backing.

after thinking on this a while, I carefully placed my iPod face down in my left hand, and with my right hand, punched the crud out of it. I used disc utility to reformat, then iTunes to restore. Works like it did out of the box (but now it has a few dents in the back.)

Me and my friend think it may have had a ground problem. I don't know how long this fix will last, but hopefully my new five year battery will fail first.

robertplattbell

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2009
Make sure Network drive mapping is not overlapping

I had this same problem with a new iPOd 120 classic.

Pulled my hair out for a day.

It would not recognize the iPod as a disc drive.

Huh?

I ran device manager and it said the iPod should appear as j:IPOD

But I had already mapped a network drive to J:

Once I re-mapped that network drive to another letter, the iPod shows up on my "my computer" screen and now it will sync.

I just love technology. Time vampires!

BTW, when running the diagnostics, the headphone test reads

HP DECTECT

Nice. Maybe the programmer worked for Digial Equipment?

Dardarian

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2009
Hi everyone,

I'm sorry to bump this thread but I found a solution that might also work for you guys! My ipod (120g classic) had the same problem described above. It gave an error that I had to recover it using itunes, I recoverd my ipod and synced it again and after syncing I got another error that I had to restore it. Over and over again.

I googeld the problem and found this page and I tried every suggestion mentioned without any results. After recovering the ipod once more I tried only syncing a few mp3's. And after syncing the ipod worked! I tried it again with a couple of albums, ipod was still good. I tried it again with about 50% of my music, ipod was still working great. I tried it once more with all of my music and got the error again.

It made me think. I realized that the error might have been caused by certain mp3s that were corrupted or bugged in some way. I synced all of my music, without the music that I had downloaded in the last couple of weeks (all the music that I had before the recovery loop thing). The ipod worked fine. After putting my newer music on it little by little I managed to find that the error was caused by only one mp3. If I put that mp3 on my ipod I get the error, if I don't everything works great.

So, here are my suggestions:
1) Try the suggestions mentioned above in this thread.
2) If that still doesn't work, recover your ipod, put your ipod in disk mode and only sync a couple of songs.
3) If that works try syncing only your old songs, and slowly add new ones till you find the file that's causing the error.

It could also be that you don't remember which of your music is new and which is old, or that an old file has for some reason because corrupted. Well, I guess you're just gonna have experiment with syncing parts of your library before you can narrow it down. It'll take time, but if it'll fix your ipod it's worth it!

I really hope this helps some of you. I wasn't a member of this forum but since this thread is easily found by google I decided to add some information here so it can benefit a lot of people.

gutterface

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2009
AUGH!!

I've done everything in this thread and my ipod is still not working.

I'm at my wits end.

I just want to put my music back on my ipod and get on with my life.

I've restored it at least 20 times now after trying the reformat thing and everything else.

when I go to the little 'format' button on my computer, nothing happens. I also cant find the hd_status thing either..

what on earth is going on with my ipod!? can anyone please help me???

oh, its a 30g video ipod

ipoder72

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2009
i hv more or less problem with my ipod video 30G, restoring again and again but finally by luck to solve it:
first - pls see this link -http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1813?viewlocale=en_US ....
it won't solve the problem entirely but once i did it and turn on the ipod, i hold the center button together with the play/pause button, it appeared "ok to disconnect" even though i haven't connected it to computer... so i connect it to the computer and turn on the itune(it didn't open the itune automatically so i opened it manually) .. then, miracle came and the open page ask me to syn the itune ... and it is under syn'g now ... hope it help you too...

ipoder72

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2009
bingo.... i success now but need some more steps ...
cos it is still in disk mode, i toggle the hold button on and off several times ... then press the centre and menu button together and hold until the apple sign appears ... once the apple sign goes...it returns to normal!!!!!!:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.