Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arjunh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2007
Hi people
Can the ipod touch read pdfs while connected to the internet using wifi n safari .
Can the ipod touch read pdfs stored in it as while offline
Please let me know asap
Thanks

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
You can view PDF's on the internet in Safari, and if you keep the tab open on the PDF you can view it without an internet connection as well.

Lin

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2007
France
Seems to have a limit anyway... I attempted a BIG file (The Hobbit + full LoTR) and Safari complained it was too big to open.

A nice trick is to install Apache on your IPT (and move its WebServer folder to the /var partition). You can then upload PDFs (and also full sites) into that folder, and point Safari to the Apache server which is on the same IPT.
You can build a small Index.html page to point to the various data, or just remember their location.

onesilentlight

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2008
Seems to have a limit anyway... I attempted a BIG file (The Hobbit + full LoTR) and Safari complained it was too big to open.

A nice trick is to install Apache on your IPT (and move its WebServer folder to the /var partition). You can then upload PDFs (and also full sites) into that folder, and point Safari to the Apache server which is on the same IPT.
You can build a small Index.html page to point to the various data, or just remember their location.

How do you do this? How do you moce the WebServer folder to the /var partition? Please help me. I would really like to get this working. :) Thanks

nathandublya

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2008

Do you need to jailbreak your ipod to do this?

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Do you need to jailbreak your ipod to do this?

Yes you need to jailbreak your iPod to put Apache onto it (essentially making your iPod capable of being a pocket web server).

If the difficulty of this action could be assessed, I would have to say it is on the advanced side of the fence. An easier method (that sadly will cost a little money) would be to buy or load an application (jailbroken version is better) called Mobile Finder (or similar), and simply upload your PDF files to your touch.

image.php

PeteB

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2008
I've used AirShare to place 19Mb and a 90Mb PDS files onto the touch.

The 19Mb (800+ pages of text) rendered perfectly ok.

The 90Mb one took ages to load and crashed the iPod before rendering the content.

That being said, the native PDF reader isn't very feature rich (you can zoom and scroll, but that's about it) - you can't follow bookmarks or go directly to pages. You can't even scroll very quickly.

I've not yet seen any decent PDF apps available yet.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Annotater is the best for just pdf. Supports search, navigation, annotation etc.

It's like a mini version of Preview.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.