Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mazmaximus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2003
I just got the top of the line Sony Handycam DCR-DVD300 Camcorder for X-Mas and the darn thing doesn't come with Mac drivers! Does anyone know of a generic Sony-Mac USB driver that might work? Thanks, I'm dead in the water without it.

Maz

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
In my expierence (I have a Digital-8 Handycam) you need to use firewire, and then any digital editing app will recognize it as a firewire camcorder attached. I think that if it didn't come with USB drivers for mac, then you won't be able to find any.

mazmaximus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2003
What if this model doesn't have a firewire port? Am I SOL? How would I port it over to mac? By the way how do you like your DV model?

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
I just looked it up online, isn't the idea that you can take the dvd out and put it in your DVD drive? This seems like the idea. It would be a problem if you don't have a DVD drive, I don't know what you would do then....

BTW, my digital-8 camera (uses Hi8 tapes to record digitally) is really great but nowhere near top of the line, you can get some really sick MiniDV cameras though in the same price range as your camera.

mazmaximus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2003
I'm leary...

You are right of course about the DVD aspec. However I'm not certain how my Powerbook's DVD slot-drive will accept the mini 3" DVDs of the camcorder. I'm worried that it might get stuck. Have any idea?

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Ahh. A slot-loading drive. Ouch. You can buy Mini-CD adapters to make a mini-cd be able to fit into a slot loading drive. DON'T PUT THE MINI DVD IN THE SLOT-LOADING DRIVE! It'll definitley not go. I don't have the time right now to look for something that would work for you, but I know that they are out there.

The adapters are simply a ring of plastic that the mini cd/dvd will clip into, making you able to insert it into a slot loading drive. They have been floating around the markey for a while, good luck and happy New Year!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.