Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gregcass

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2007
Hi everyone;

I'm heading to London for a vacation. I've set up service through AT&T while I'm there. I have a 3-pronged plug adaptor to fit an electrical outlet in England. I also have a 220v to 110v plug that can fit into the 3-pronged adaptor plug.

My question (which I couldn't get an answer to at Apple)-- is the iPhone dual voltage compatible (both 110v and 220v)? I would have to used the dreaded, recently recalled;), miniature plug charger while I'm there.

I would appreciate thoughts on this, as I'd hate to burn it up after owning it less than a month.

Gregcass

Cancelled
Aug 25, 2008
Just looked at the bottom of both my mini usb and my regular usb charger

both state they are able to take 100-240v

simply put

You will be fine ( well you need the UK adapter obviously)

tinfai

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2008
Hi everyone;

I'm heading to London for a vacation. I've set up service through AT&T while I'm there. I have a 3-pronged plug adaptor to fit an electrical outlet in England. I also have a 220v to 110v plug that can fit into the 3-pronged adaptor plug.

My question (which I couldn't get an answer to at Apple)-- is the iPhone dual voltage compatible (both 110v and 220v)? I would have to used the dreaded, recently recalled;), miniature plug charger while I'm there.

I would appreciate thoughts on this, as I'd hate to burn it up after owning it less than a month.

Gregcass

Another post confirming that you will be fine. I've used -- and charged -- mine in countries that have 220 and 110 voltage. Other than getting an adapter that fits the local electrical socket, there's nothing to be concerned about.

gregcass

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2007
Thanks for the information. I hadn't noticed the printing on the mini-plug, as the printing color blends in well and is quite small. Now I see it and understand.

Thanks again.

gregcass

dangleheart

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
I looked at the back of the USB charger and it only says 110V. May be I am not reading it correctly ( it is hard to read ). My question is, can the USB charger that came with the first generation iPhone in the U.S. be used in U.K. and India where the voltage is 220V. Thanks for any assistance.

iFerd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2007
I just returned from Italy, where I used the charger that came with my first generation iPhone and a plug adapter only. No voltage converter needed. The charger that came with the phone is dual voltage.

Third party chargers are another matter - you would need to be sure yours is dual voltage. My spouse bought a charger for a new iPod Tounch, which does not include a charger. It is also dual voltage (we made sure), and it worked the same - plug adapter only. No voltage transformer needed.

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2008
With the risk of sounding a bit stupid... but, if I was using an Italian iPhone in the UK with the wrong kinda charger what would happen?

I have an Italian iPhone. But, because the charger that came with the phone is only a 2-pin charger, I have to use a UK (3 pin) converter socket to charge the phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.