Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stoich

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2008
STR8 RIPPIN!! SKITZY!
So supposedly the world is supposed to end on Dec. 21 2012 or should I say the Maya Calendar ends then. Is this just another Y2k or is this one for real?:eek:

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
I wouldn't put much faith in it. Last time I checked, the Maya are long since dead anyway.

Kind of like saying "My watch stopped so that means time stands still." :D

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
Mac OS X supports various calendar systems. However, the Mayan calendar is not one of them.
Picture 2.png
Therefore, we should be fine. :p

stoich

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2008
STR8 RIPPIN!! SKITZY!
The maya calendar has been going for 5000+ years and it has predicted many things that have came true. Im just saying it ending is a pretty big deal in many cultures.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
The maya calendar has been going for 5000+ years and it has predicted many things that have came true. Im just saying it ending is a pretty big deal in many cultures.

what did it predict. How could it predict anything relevent in the world of today with technology that would have been unbeleivable at the time.

I really dont understand how anyone can beleive this kind of crap. Enough ppl on the internet say it so it must be true!

Beric

macrumors 68020
Jan 22, 2008
Bay Area
Sorry, I think this is bogus. Basing "the end of the world" on only a calender is a bit of a stretch. :p

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
guess i won't have to do my "holiday" shopping in 2012 :p
but dam no gifts and worst of all no MWSF 2013 :eek::mad:

doubleohseven

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2008
Sydney, Australia
You better believe I will be super hammered either way.

Me too. I'll most likely be studying my first year in College at that time. But really, no matter what, I don't want the world to end! I'll be 19 in 2012 and would have not even reached adulthood if I lived in America. But I'm staying positive; many predictions have been made as to when the world will end and, well, we're still here!

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
I wouldn't put much faith in it. Last time I checked, the Maya are long since dead anyway. ...

Re: "the Maya are long since dead"

The Maya peoples never disappeared, neither at the time of the Classic period decline nor with the arrival of the Spanish conquistadores and the subsequent Spanish colonization of the Americas. Today, the Maya and their descendants form sizable populations throughout the Maya area and maintain a distinctive set of traditions and beliefs that are the result of the merger of pre-Columbian and post-Conquest ideologies (and structured by the almost total adoption of Roman Catholicism). Many different Mayan languages continue to be spoken as primary languages today; the Rabinal Achí, a play written in the Achi' language, was declared a Masterpiece of the Oral and Intangible Heritage of Humanity by UNESCO in 2005.

(From the Wikipedia article: Maya civilization)

Re: 2012

The Mesoamerican Long Count calendar forms the basis for a New Age belief, first forecast by José Argüelles, that a cataclysm will take place on or about 21 December 2012, a forecast that mainstream Mayanist scholars consider a misinterpretation.[12]

[12] Susan Milbrath, Curator of Latin American Art and Archaeology , Florida Museum of Natural History, quoted in USA Today, Wednesday, March 28, 2007, p. 11D. "... we have no record or knowledge that they would think the world would come to an end at that point."

"For the ancient Maya, it was a huge celebration to make it to the end of a whole cycle," says Sandra Noble, executive director of the Foundation for the Advancement of Mesoamerican Studies, Inc. in Crystal River, Florida. To render December 21, 2012, as a doomsday or moment of cosmic shifting, she says, is "a complete fabrication and a chance for a lot of people to cash in." (Quoted in USA Today, Wednesday, March 28, 2007, p. 11D.)

(From the Wikipedia article: Maya calendar)

c-Row

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Germany
Ha, that's nothing. My calendar ends on December 31st. Guess my grocery shop can predict the end of the world, too. :eek:

design-is

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2007
London / U.K.
Am I the only one who thinks (no matter how unlikely the whole thing is) if the world was going to end at the end of the 'long count' this is far more likely to be in the year 8000 when the calender reaches 20.0.0.0.0 rather than 2012 at 13.0.0.0.0.

I mean really, why would all the numbers go to 19 then switch and for some random reason the last one would go to 13? Madness.

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
question is if the world ends on the 21st - will by Time Machine Backup still work at 12.00 am on the 22nd ?

that is what worries me! got to make sure my iTunes colection lives on

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
I wouldn't put much faith in it. Last time I checked, the Maya are long since dead anyway.

Kind of like saying "My watch stopped so that means time stands still." :D

Maybe they decided to go ahead of the event. Avoid the rush, as it were. Or just try and forget about it by imploding their civilisation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.