Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Frozn1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Wetaskiwin, Alberta, Canada
Haven't seen much on this topic but I think it would be great for everyone to be able to use the internet through their usb connection compared to having to find a wifi connection. I don't think there are any installer apps for doing this yet. I don't see why it can't be done, so I hope someone has ideas.

Cepe Indicum

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2006
I don't understand... How do you get the Internet through a USB connection without having an Internet enabled PC or Mac attached to the Touch in the first place... therefore, you might as well use the computer, no?

Sorry - might be missing your point?

Nitromaster

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2007
Ireland.
If you have a mac its easy to share your internet via wifi:
1.Turn on 'Internet Sharing' from your connection to Airport in 'Sharing' in 'System Preferences'.
2.Enable Airport.
3.Connect via wifi on your ipod touch.

I'm sure theres a way to share your internet wirelessly on windows but I spent days looking for a way with no luck :(

Frozn1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Wetaskiwin, Alberta, Canada
Great tip, Thanks.

Were I work there is no wireless internet at all, completely wired, I want to plug my iPod Touch into the USB port and have internet from the wired connection go into my touch through the USB. I really want to know if thats possible.

rakesh

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2008
1.Turn on 'Internet Sharing' from your connection to Airport in 'Sharing' in 'System Preferences'.
2.Enable Airport.

I'm sure theres a way to share your internet wirelessly on windows but I spent days looking for a way with no luck :(

i was able to connect to internet on ipod touch 1.1.2 through ad hoc network creted on my laptop(vista) but once i upgraded to 1.1.4 no such luck, i guess these may be one of those bug fixes apple was talking about.

jm9534

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2008
2.Enable Airport.

Hi Nitromaster,

I can't connect my ipod touch through wifi from my iMac G5, I'm on firmware 1.1.4. Is that causing the problem? Any suggestion!! Thanks.

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
You can enable network sharing on a PC, but only if it has at least two networking options installed such as a wifi card (or USB wifi dongle) and ethernet jack in it. Notebooks almost all come with wifi and an ethernet jack, but desktops usually have just ethernet. If you're plugged into the interent/network via ethernet then you can turn on the wifi and share it as an ad-hoc network. In corporations that are all wired, it is often done for security. Anyone opening up a wireless node would be strongly discouraged.

I can see the desire to have internet on the Touch anyway that is possible, but in an office were your could do all the internet browsing you wanted on the PC you'd be sharing from I don't really see the point. If you think using your Touch would allow you some privacy not available on the company's PC, realize that all your traffic will be going through the same network and the company's network administrator would see your Touch activity the same as he/she would see your offic PC's activity.

sramirez02

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2008
I too would love wired internet on the iPod touch!

Well, for one do see why one would want to do this. Before getting my iPod Touch, I had an iPaq HX4705 Windows Mobile 5 PDA with WiFi but when I docked it at work to my PC, I was still able to surf the internet on my PDA while docked to the PC. I would love to do this on the iPod so that I could run Installer APP and install more applications. Lunch time is often my only free time to do this. Then I could play the cool games I installed on my train ride home!

mojothemonkey

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2005
Noo!

I get this on every forum that I read. People ask a simple question or want help with one thing, connecting without wifi, and all they get is "why would you want to do that? use your computer!"

I'm sure there are a multitude of reasons for other people, but I am at a no-wifi office and the only way I could ever sync my work MS-Outlook public/shared calendar and public/shared task list would be directly connected to my work internet. Without wifi, I am forced to look for a pass-through-my-desktop system. It would really make my ipod touch the ultimate organizer/datebook on top of everything else and such a minor oversight, as not allowing USB internet is ridiculous. Every other device with 1/100 the complexity of this device has had this feature.

If someone has found something since the last post here, please let me know!

hooplehead

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2008
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_02april08.mspx

OK, I want the same. I don't have a wireless router, but have a laptop with a Wireless card. Thanks to the above poster mentioning adhoc networking. I googled and got this link. I followed the instructions yesterday to a tee, and no luck. Tried several tweaks, and finally when I firewalled my ethernet connection and DISABLED firewall on the wireless, viola!

Good luck!

mi986

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2008
Victoria, Australia
USB Dongle???

Ok, so I have a Windows XP SP2 desktop computer connected to a dial-up modem (i can't get broadband where i live), is there like a USB dongle that i can plug into my computer that would create enough WI-FI that I could use on my iPod (2nd gen)

YES I KNOW I COULD JUST USE THE INTERNET THROUGH MY COMPUTER, but: i had to pay for the ipod and the price included all the WI-FI components and stuff so I might as well use it or else i am getting kinda ripped off.

Do such dongles exist???
P.S. I know this may be hard to understand, but i typed it really quick :} Sorry!

MI986
--------------------
mi986.deviantart.com
ASUS Windows XP SP2 Desktop, iPod Touch 2G, and uh, a Nintendo DS Lite

dawnraid

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2007
Ok, so I have a Windows XP SP2 desktop computer connected to a dial-up modem (i can't get broadband where i live), is there like a USB dongle that i can plug into my computer that would create enough WI-FI that I could use on my iPod (2nd gen)

YES I KNOW I COULD JUST USE THE INTERNET THROUGH MY COMPUTER, but: i had to pay for the ipod and the price included all the WI-FI components and stuff so I might as well use it or else i am getting kinda ripped off.

Do such dongles exist???
P.S. I know this may be hard to understand, but i typed it really quick :} Sorry!

MI986
--------------------
mi986.deviantart.com
yeah any usb wifi adapter should work, 802.11b/g
just bridge the networks and it should be all good.
probably not worth while on dial up though. (whats that like 7 kb per second download)

mi986

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2008
Victoria, Australia
Please Elaborate

Could be a stupid question, but:
'Bridge the networks'? What does this mean???

Oh and dial-up -- try more like 4kb per seccond lol (it sucks!)
By the way, does anyone know why you use a 56kbps modem, but stuff downloads at only 4kbps ?????? :confused:

Thanx!

MI986
--------------------
mi986.deviantart.com

johnnypalmera

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2008
By the way, does anyone know why you use a 56kbps modem, but stuff downloads at only 4kbps ?????? :confused:

56 kiloBITSpersecond is roughly 7 kiloBYTESpersecond ideally, minus line noise, network overhead, etc.. you get the 4kbps.

Remember 8 bits = 1 byte!

cdwmobile

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2008
This would help since I'm in a corp setting where everything is wired for security reasons. I have a wireless card in my machine, but IT would kill me if I shared the network.

I'm sure there is a way to do it through USB - I use to do it all the time with some older WM devices. If there isn't an app, I'm sure it can be done.

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
This would help since I'm in a corp setting where everything is wired for security reasons. I have a wireless card in my machine, but IT would kill me if I shared the network.

We have wireless but you need the MAC address loaded, so unless you are budy budy with someone who can do that the wireless isn't possible.

wwi

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2008
Canberra, Australia
On a semi related topic, now that the G2 iPod Touch has audio input via the headphone jack enabling VoIP with mic-enabled headphones, will there be possibility of getting one of the mobile broadband for laptops working with the Touch?

MrSEC

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2008
On a semi related topic, now that the G2 iPod Touch has audio input via the headphone jack enabling VoIP with mic-enabled headphones, will there be possibility of getting one of the mobile broadband for laptops working with the Touch?

The best way (IMO) to use a broadband card with the iPod Touch is to get a USB data card through your wireless carrier and put it in one of these http://www.cradlepoint.com/

It will make a personal "wifi hotspot" in your house,or you can get a "mobile" sized model # PHS300 and take it with you and use it any where your carrier has broadband.The PHS300 has a battery built in that will let you surf for 3-4 hours.

If it wasn't for wireless broadband,I would be in dial-up hell. :D

Oh yeah, to answer your question about VoIP.It can be done easily IF you have a good signal to a cell tower.I found REV B EVDO to be lacking too much speed(and too much latency) for VoIP,but if you have a REVA 3G tower in your area you should be good to go.

corb

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2009
I don't understand... How do you get the Internet through a USB connection without having an Internet enabled PC or Mac attached to the Touch in the first place... therefore, you might as well use the computer, no?

Sorry - might be missing your point?

Ug, yes you're missing the point.

Basically if you don't have wireless, then everything that separates the touch from an ipod is completely useless.

I really hate "I don't see why you'd do that" answers. So many people are coming to this thread to find an answer, and you've created a useless post by explaining why you - out of the thousands who want to find an answer - wouldn't use it.

I'm sorry for cluttering this forum with my response, but no matter how many threads I look for, and how many google searches I do, every answer is the same... "Why would you want to do that." Such a useless response

sr20det91

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2009
easy to do wirelessly if you have a windows smartphone. download this program at http://www.wmwifirouter.com and turn wm 6.0 and above smartphone/pocket pc into an ad hoc wireless router. I use it everyday with my tilt and it works like a champ. Oh yeah..make sure you have an unlimited data plan.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.