Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ca8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2008
Simple (or maybe not) question. How do I type the "⎮" (=integral extension) character on my MacBook? I tried multiple combinations of alt, cmd, etc but none of them worked.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
Yes, that one. I don't have the \ placed on my keyboard, I need to press alt+shift+7 for typing it.

Maybe it's because it's a Danish keyboard layout? I don't know. It's going to be a hell to do programming if I can't type it.

Ah, Danish layout

Is it Alt + i?

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
It depends on if you are using the US(International) layout, or the Dutch Layout (as both are common).

On the Dutch Layout, it is Shift + * as indicated here: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...dse_toetsenbordindeling_-_tekst_als_paden.svg

On the US international keyboard it is on the key between Return and Delete.

However, based on your responses, it almost sounds like you have a German Keyboard, if you have a key that has < and > on it, it is the Alt/Option character on that key.

The Wiki page on keyboards might help if you still can't find it...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_layout

TEG

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
That one worked! Thanks man. Appreciate it.

No problem.

If you go:

System Preferences ---> International---> Input Menu

Select Keyboard Viewer.

This then gives you a tool that you can access from the menu under the Flag in your Menu Bar. You can then find all the characters.

a456

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2005
Use the Keyboard Viewer and press the Cmnd, Shift, etc. until you see what you want.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
completely off topic BUT TEG....you are like Data(from star trek, god that was nerdy for me to say) you like KNOW everything?!?!?! how... lol

My mind is a bit of a sponge, where I usually absorb all knowledge I'm exposed to (except in school or with advanced math) or I just know how to use Google to its full potential.

Plus, I'm a little better than Data in that I understand the basics of decorum and the meaning of idioms and turns of phrase.

TEG

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Integral symbol?! :confused:

This:

Attachments

• int.png
    int.png
    2.3 KB · Views: 1,212

Nieval

Suspended
Mar 13, 2008
My mind is a bit of a sponge, where I usually absorb all knowledge I'm exposed to (except in school or with advanced math) or I just know how to use Google to its full potential.

Plus, I'm a little better than Data in that I understand the basics of decorum and the meaning of idioms and turns of phrase.

TEG

Snap! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.