Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BenEndeem

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2008
England
From the MacBook in my signature.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    35 KB · Views: 60

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
:eek::eek:

I don't think so. That would require 2x 3GB sticks, which aren't out yet
hahaha 1x2gb + 1x4gb

Try this :
1) Open Spotlight.
2) Type 4+2 and marvel at the answer.

Oh and 3GB sticks will never come out. 3GB is not a power of two.
step1: done
step2: i get 7??? :p

The current MacBook Pros can support up to 8GB of RAM using 4GB RAM sticks. The performance does not seem to be good above 6GB however.

that is amazing i wasnt aware of that!!!
why does the performance drop? i thought that everything was 64-bit, so it could support it...how does 6gb perform??

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
is tht even possible???

Yes. Check the MBP section, there was a post just recently about my experiences of the 6GB... actually, here's the link for the lazy folks (like me)

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/568974/

I don't think so. That would require 2x 3GB sticks, which aren't out yet

LOL

Try this :
1) Open Spotlight.
2) Type 4+2 and marvel at the answer.

Oh and 3GB sticks will never come out. 3GB is not a power of two.

Just made my day.

The current MacBook Pros can support up to 8GB of RAM using 4GB RAM sticks. The performance does not seem to be good above 6GB however.

It'll boot up upto 8GB ram, however, it might run into problems at 8GB (2x4GB Sticks)

:eek::eek:

hahaha 1x2gb + 1x4gb

step1: done
step2: i get 7??? :p

that is amazing i wasnt aware of that!!!
why does the performance drop? i thought that everything was 64-bit, so it could support it...how does 6gb perform??

Performance drop due to lack of dual channel. And there might be errors executing 8GB.

thanks heaps for that link! answered most of my questions. im still confused as to why it cant allocated everything properly but ahwell...

any change of my CD MBP running more than 2gb RAM (even 3gb haha)??

Isn't CD only 2GB max?

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
1. Yes. Check the MBP section, there was a post just recently about my experiences of the 6GB... actually, here's the link for the lazy folks (like me)

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/568974/

2. Performance drop due to lack of dual channel. And there might be errors executing 8GB.

3. Isn't CD only 2GB max?

1. aahh thanks very much ill have an intense reading session.

2. makes sense.

3. yes but a lot of products apple make have been mislead on their maximum RAMage. (e.g. g3 Imacs, max was 768mb ACTUAL max was 1gb, ibooks aswell etc). i was hoping maybe i could put in some extra RAM.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
Must be a bug. Update to 10.5.5 ;) (or stop using a Pentium 60Mhz PC!)

Yep. Chipset will do 4Gb, with the usual 32-bit problems associated with it. Looks like Apple locked the firmware down to 2Gb on the CD machines and 3Gb on the later C2D's. :(

I'm surprised apple didn't lock the newer macbook pros to 4GB.

yoppie

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2007
Here's mine. Intel Core Duo MacBook (Black)

A week from today, I will have had it for 27 months. Don't cry for me, I plan on getting a new iMac and a second Apple notebook in the new year.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    62.1 KB · Views: 82
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.