Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

techmonkey

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
I am looking for a good photo viewer for Mac. Windows has tons of free viewers that lets you rotate or crop while you browse thru your photo. I am looking for something that when I click on a photo in Finder, I can easily rotate it zoom in, etc.

mysterytramp

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Maryland
I am looking for a good photo viewer for Mac. Windows has tons of free viewers that lets you rotate or crop while you browse thru your photo. I am looking for something that when I click on a photo in Finder, I can easily rotate it zoom in, etc.

You've got lots of good ideas here ... but what's wrong with Preview? It's a darn good photo browser that offers basic editing. Is there something specific that it doesn't do you're looking for?

mt

piho

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2009
You've got lots of good ideas here ... but what's wrong with Preview? It's a darn good photo browser that offers basic editing. Is there something specific that it doesn't do you're looking for?

mt

For example it does not go onto next picture when you press next :)

Reactions: rmpbklyn

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
For example it does not go onto next picture when you press next :)

Wrong.

At least 2 ways with Preview.

Select all files, open. Then use up and down arrow.
(System Preference default should be: open groups of images in the same window. <-should be the default setting)

Or Command+Shift+F for full screen view. Then use right and left arrow.

Ashka

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2008
New Zealand
Preview,
Whole folders at once, easy flick through, rotate, cropping, resizing, slideshow, annotate plus an Inspector for info. Save in multiple formats too...

budhadha

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2009
Not far away
In the same line, anyone knows of a good soft that would let me merge two pictures? (preferably free and of course for Mac)

I've scanned a map that I've draw, but it was to big to fit on one page. So my map is in two parts and I would like to create one big image of it and than resize it for different purposes.

mysterytramp

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Maryland
In the same line, anyone knows of a good soft that would let me merge two pictures? (preferably free and of course for Mac)

I've scanned a map that I've draw, but it was to big to fit on one page. So my map is in two parts and I would like to create one big image of it and than resize it for different purposes.

Sounds like a simple copy/paste would work. Something like Seashore or Gimp should do the trick.

mt

gavlis

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2009
I found preview a pain when editing in photoshop as it doesn't seem to like embedded color profiling. If I used RGB or sRGB in PS and then view in Preview the colors come out way too saturated, I have changed the settings in Preview to take the embedded profile(I think) and although better it still doesn't look the same. The only way around this is to save the image in PS and discard the embedded profile. Does anyone have an idea to fix this as I find Preview good to look at images quickly without opening up another viewer? Thanks.

ToddJ

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2008
Wrong.

At least 2 ways with Preview.

Select all files, open. Then use up and down arrow.
(System Preference default should be: open groups of images in the same window. <-should be the default setting)

Or Command+Shift+F for full screen view. Then use right and left arrow.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I only get one image (without highlighting all of them beforehand.) I have the settings changed to what you said.

ToddJ

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2008
Has anyone found an image viewer that is like the one that comes with Picasa for Windows? That image viewer is awesome and, ironically, much more "Mac-like" than Preview is.

I've been using Just Looking which is Ok.

macbaba

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2009
MAc sucks .. I miss ACDSEE

Seriously .. The Preview is so pathetic ..
I can't go to next picture unless I select ALL the pictures in a directory. And again, if I have a directory with videos and other binary files .. They will give stupid errors that it can't open and all. I had a directory with 100 pictures and 12 videos. It opened all 12.
Second, I can't zoom while in a slideshow .. seriously are you kidding me ?

Now, I use iPhoto , I can't zoom while NOT in the slideshow ..
And I can't see pictures in Iphoto WITHOUT importing it. I mean COMMON, If I connect an external drive and want to see pictures I gotta import them to my HDD ? :!
:confused::confused::confused:

ACDSEE please get a fully working version on MAC

Reactions: rmpbklyn

ToddJ

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2008
no. there is a Picasa photo viewer that comes with Picasa for Windows, and it doesn't come with Picasa for Mac (yet.) If you have Windows on bootcamp, try it out.

sesshin

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2008
Adobe Bridge

if not that, than Xee, but I don't like the way Xee can't preview large thumbnails. the actual image viewing itself though is nice

raygungirl

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2009
Arizona
I found preview a pain when editing in photoshop as it doesn't seem to like embedded color profiling. If I used RGB or sRGB in PS and then view in Preview the colors come out way too saturated, I have changed the settings in Preview to take the embedded profile(I think) and although better it still doesn't look the same. The only way around this is to save the image in PS and discard the embedded profile. Does anyone have an idea to fix this as I find Preview good to look at images quickly without opening up another viewer? Thanks.

I don't know about Macs (I'm still new to them), but I know on Windows there was an issue with Photoshop where the file colors were always different in Photoshop when compared to the Save for Web previews, or when viewing the image anywhere else. I basically had to do a Google search to find tell Photoshop to make the "working" copy have the same colors as the final copy. (Which is lame. I, the artist, shouldn't have to do anything to make the final product look like the working copy. Hmph.)

Anyway, I did another search and this might solve your problem. Good luck! http://northtemple.com/2009/06/10/color-proof-correction-in

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.