Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dino451

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 12, 2006
Can I make a smart playlist that acts like the genius function on newer ipods(random songs that update whenever I sync)? Kind of like a shuffled playlist. I have so many songs that I have forgotten I want a way to emulate the "genius" function on older ipods.

macbookairman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2008
Nebraska
I think (I can't confirm this right now) that you can make a smart playlist, and then go to the party shuffle playlist and set it to shuffle music from that smart playlist. (i know you can do that part) The part I don't know is if you can sync a Party Shuffle Playlist to your iPod. But you should give it a try.

Edit: I checked, and as far as I can tell, you can't add a party shuffle playlist to your iPod if you use Automatic Sync. But if you use Manual Sync, you can drag the party shuffle playlist to your iPod (But it wouldn't auto update).

Topher15

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
London
Why not just use the Shuffle song feature on the iPod?

Anyway... one way I would guess is to make a smart playlist and select Rating > Is in the range > Zero stars > Five stars. (This makes the entire library available.) Make sure it's random and that live updating is checked. This should work but it seems futile because is just emulates the Shuffle song feature that is already on your iPod!

Nothing can emulate the Genius function because the Genius function searches the cloud for songs which are similar to the selected song. It is NOT random. I guess the closest to it may be like the above smart playlist only with a genre criteria (which will get you random similar sounding music) however Genius searches across genres.

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
I did something similar to make sure I listen to all my music. I set up a smart playlist that chooses random songs that have not been played in the last week.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.