Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JefferyLebowski

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2008
Anyone else use Windex to clean the screen of your touch/iphone? I saw someone make reference to this in a post a few weeks ago, so I tried and I am very impressed. The only thing that I have noticed is if you dont completely wipe it clean, your screen will not be as touch sensitive. Is windex as safe option? Like I said, if I wipe it clean, it is as clean as a whistle.

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
This is what I've been telling people for ages.

This goes for the people who are spending $20 on a bottle of stuff to clean their iMac screen as well.

allinon72

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2008
Why is it necessary to get liquids involved. Simply clean the screen with the supplied cloth.

JefferyLebowski

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2008
Cloth

While the cloth is a very handy cleaner, it doesnt completly clean the screen of smudges. It just 'buffs them out' as opposed to completely getting rid of them.

allinon72

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2008
While the cloth is a very handy cleaner, it doesnt completly clean the screen of smudges. It just 'buffs them out' as opposed to completely getting rid of them.

Might I suggest avoiding the use of your Touch after eating fried chicken or french fries as a possible solution to your problem? :D

JefferyLebowski

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2008
"Might I suggest avoiding the use of your Touch after eating fried chicken or french fries as a possible solution to your problem? "

I have been using it as a plate when I eat dinner. It's not that bad. LOL.

br0adband

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2006
It's amazing that people wonder about this, I mean really. Windex has been around for what, 50+ years, or longer, and I've used it my whole life on any variety of surfaces and I've never damaged any of them in any way, shape, or form just because I was using Windex.

This almost borders on paranoia, I swear. :)

A few sheets of bathroom tissue, a quick squeeze of a Windex bottle trigger, a spray on the tissue, a wipe or two, done, as clean as that iPod touch screen is going to get unless you sick a swarm of dirt-eating nanytes on it.

What's the problem?

JefferyLebowski

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2008
It's amazing that people wonder about this, I mean really. Windex has been around for what, 50+ years, or longer, and I've used it my whole life on any variety of surfaces and I've never damaged any of them in any way, shape, or form just because I was using Windex.

A few sheets of bathroom tissue, a quick squeeze of a Windex bottle trigger, a spray on the tissue, a wipe or two, done, as clean as that iPod touch screen is going to get unless you sick a swarm of dirt-eating nanytes on it.

What's the problem?

I think I'm in agreement with you. After researching this for a while, it's seems many people are paranoid that WINDEX will "EAT THROUGH THE PROTECTIVE ANTI-GLARE' screen.... LOL...... It's easy to find hundreds of posts tellin you that you should use the Apple cleaner (IKlear i think), yet you cant find 1 picture of a defected screen due to windex.. Regardless, 1 tiny spray of windex on a protective cloth has the same chance of damaging my screen as any random act of 'human mistakes' (ie. dropping the ipod, running it over with your car (yes i have seen this one before), kids breaking it, water damage,etc...) With that said, thanks for all the replies. If my screen becomes defected because i spray windex on a towel once a week I will be sure to be the first person to post actual pictures of a 'windex damaged ipod'.. LOL.

HitchHykr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2007
Virginia

What's the problem?

The problem is that there isn't just one Windex, there are many versions of Windex formulas i.e. with vinegar, ammonia, etc. My wife always falls for the "new and improved version" of anything so we have like 4 versions of windex at home.

I made the mistake once of using Windex on a car's dashboard and it turned the plastic cloudy. I don't remember which windex it was but I'm pretty sure it wasn't the windex "classic". And no I don't have a picture of it, I sold the car awhile back.

bassproguy07

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
Katy, TX
The problem is that there isn't just one Windex, there are many versions of Windex formulas i.e. with vinegar, ammonia, etc. My wife always falls for the "new and improved version" of anything so we have like 4 versions of windex at home.

I made the mistake once of using Windex on a car's dashboard and it turned the plastic cloudy. I don't remember which windex it was but I'm pretty sure it wasn't the windex "classic". And no I don't have a picture of it, I sold the car awhile back.

picture or it didnt happen

Royale w/cheese

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
...I made the mistake once of using Windex on a car's dashboard and it turned the plastic cloudy. I don't remember which windex it was but I'm pretty sure it wasn't the windex "classic". And no I don't have a picture of it, I sold the car awhile back.

I used windex to clean my new (in '95) 1995 Ford F-150 dashboard clear plactic. F'd it up very badly. I used windex on alot of TV screens with no problems (when I cleaned them at my old job:) But for my screens I just use the nice 'n clean electronic cleaning wipes. They work on my iPods, touch and otherwise, my hdtv's and my macbook pro. But with the macbook pro, I do have to buff afterward with the cloth to get some sort of film off of it, but not too bad. They are fairly cheap too, 4.99 for 80 of them. I would stay away from windex for anything I actaully care about.

allinon72

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2008
A 50/50 mix of white vinegar and distilled water is an effective cleaner and is safe to use on on any plastic...

Now we have to get our chemistry sets out and mix a special solution just to clean a 2x3" screen.

I wish Apple would just do us all a favor and make a specially formulated screen cleaner and sell it to us for $79.99.

Eric Isaacson

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2008
I use windex also but only when there is something on the screen that won't come off with the regular buffing cloth.

It has never harmed my screen

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.