Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XFacta82

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
I have windows for mac and I made a powerpoint with a video in one of the slides. But when I open the powerpoint up on a windows, they video will not play inside the slide. Is there any way to get this to work? What kind of format does it need to be in?

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I have windows for mac and I made a powerpoint with a video in one of the slides. But when I open the powerpoint up on a windows, they video will not play inside the slide. Is there any way to get this to work? What kind of format does it need to be in?

Sorry for not being able to answer your question right off the back, but Powerpoint is the worst presentation software when it comes to adding any media in it. Photo, Video, Audio, all get compressed and rendered useless when put in PowerPoint or Word.

The only piece of advice I can give you is to look for an option to include the video in the file itself, or take the file with you and dump it back into the slide before you present.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
It's hard to say without more details of what you did (versions of PPT on both sides, what kind of video it was, and how you inserted it into the slide), but...

There are two separate issues:

1) Video format -- generally, any video that is supported by an embed-capable player should work fine. So if QT and WMP are on the computer and they can play the video, they should play it as an embedded file. Assuming your Mac video was probably in a format normally played by QT (e.g. H.264), If you don't have QT on the PC, you'll have to switch to some kind of AVI file or else install QT.

2) Method of Placement -- now this one is stranger. Objects sometimes behave differently depending on how they got into the slide. That is, objects that were copy/pasted or dragged and dropped will not behave the same as objects that were inserted using the insert menu item. This is because drag and drop objects are governed by OLE (or whatever it's called now) -- they sort of get interpreted as a copy/paste buffer object when they get pasted in rather than being a normal file. Generally, the ones you insert using the menu are much less likely to give you trouble on another computer (this is the same issue that often arises where certain image files dragged and dropped into a PPT deck on a Mac will end up as empty boxes that say something about needing Quicktime on Windows).

So, for (2), the best bet is to always make it a habit of using the insert menu item to insert graphics and videos if possible, and to avoid dragging them into the slide.

XFacta82

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
I inserted the movie from the menu to make it easy. The video was shot from a cell phone so it is in 3GP format. Is this a bad format to use? Would it work to convert it to something else?

Topher15

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
London
Unlike images, when you insert media (video/audio) into the slide, PowerPoint only creates a link to the video file. I'm assuming you did not transfer the video file with the .ppt file? You have to keep them both together. The best thing to do is make a folder containing the PowerPoint file and the video file.

I've never had any problem with inserting video into PowerPoint slides. You just need to ensure both computers can read the same codec/format (I know Windows can play 3GP files) and that the media files remain with the PowerPoint file.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.