Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rinz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2007
Hello everyone.
I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced problems with the click wheel on the new ipod nano's?

After receiving mine (16GB Purple) on the 29th from the online store, I immediately noticed there was a problem. The click wheel felt as though it was incorrectly fitted and would make a squeaky click noise when lightly touched, but only on the right hand side. I also noticed what felt like a sort of abrasion just to the right of the play/pause button, which i found to be incredibly annoying and distracting.

Essentially (and to cut a tediously long story short), 1 repair (this actually fixed the clicky thing, but not the abrasion), and 1 brand new replacement ipod later and one or the other of the two issues in every case - I'm left wondering, is this a common flaw or am I simply extremely unlucky with these things..?

Could it be I'm being too fussy about this, or am I right in thinking that this is not acceptable for a brand new piece of kit? And what would be the best course of action given that apple have continually failed to satisfy me with an entirely defect free nano. I'm half tempted to just demand a refund and just go and try my luck at a highstreet shop like Currys. But I find it difficult to believe it should have to come to that.

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
Daegu, South Korea
MY 4G 16GB NANO has a defective click wheel, too. It freezes, becomes inoperative, after about 20 seconds of use. I've had mine about 10 days and I'm hoping to get my money back tomorrow....

Rinz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2007
Oh, that's not good.
I hadn't really had a chance to use the ones I've had to that extent.
But did you experience the problem with it seeming like it was loose/badly fitted and squeaky, or is it perfectly normal from an external point of view?

westycat

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2008
UT
When the battery gets low on my 8gb version the wheel acts up as you described. Good thing it has a warranty......

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
Daegu, South Korea
Oh, that's not good.
I hadn't really had a chance to use the ones I've had to that extent.
But did you experience the problem with it seeming like it was loose/badly fitted and squeaky, or is it perfectly normal from an external point of view?

No, mine didn't squeak or anything. It would simply not respond to the circular motion, although it would operate on the pressure-click. I returned it today and got my cash back. I'm glad I still have my 3G Nano. I actually prefer it to the new one--seems smaller, more comfortable in the hand and the horizontal screen is easier to read/look at. I think Apple 'blew it' with these new Nanos.

westycat

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2008
UT
had a genius appointment today, they just handed me a new one......

I suggest anyone with the same issue do the same :D

kariakanelly

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2008
hello got my new ipod nano purple (8) a few days ago and incountered the same touch wheel problem. when i barley touch to the right of the play button it makes an annoying clicking noise! the wierd thing is my friend got the exact same one and aslo has the same problem. i find it messes up my games. also last night i plugged it in to charge and i came back an hour later and it would not turn on until the next day with te battery drained.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.