Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
This week, rumors of an Apple Set Top Box appear to have been revived by at least one anonymous report

The term "Set Top Box" typically refers to a product that sits on top of your television. Over the years, as technology advances, the meaning of the term changes somewhat with advances in technology.

In 1995, Apple actually produced a Set Top Box (photo) for a six state trial. At the time, the system used a version of Mac OS, QuickDraw and Quicktime. It was an "interactive TV set-top" box. The trial (apparently) did not succeed. Later in 2002, there were some hints that Apple was interested in purchasing a set-top box company known as Moxi Digital.

Most recently MacOSX.com posted detailed specs of what was claimed to be a set top box from Apple, known as the "iBox". The box is described (arist's rendition) as a all-in-one sort of media device... running versions of iPhoto, iTunes, and iDVD. (though one discrepancy is that Apple has never supported DVD-authoring on a G3).

All in all, these rumors are suspect, but do coincide with a rumor that made our Unconfirmed/Reject list from 2003. The full report is included for interest's sake:
Apple is said to be deep into development of a box that acts as a hub for Apple's broadcasting efforts. Movies will stream wirelessly to a television set via Apple's next generation of wireless networking. It is said to be wireless Gigabit. Similarly, users can stream music from any of their devices (computer / iPod / the "box") to their stereo via next generation bluetooth. This hub is expected to make Apple's digital life less dependent on you sitting in front of your computer. Again, devices will be able to log into this box where they can either transmit songs to, or accept transmissions from, this hub. This, too, is said to be able to log into a users machine via thin client.
Again, neither of these reports have shown themselves to be reliable, but are somewhat consistent with each other. As well, Steve Jobs has stated (repeatedly) that he does not feel that TVs and Computers will converge. Whether or not such a hybrid/bridge product would go against this vision, is not clear.

sethypoo

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
Sacramento, CA, USA
I assume that this "Set Top Box" has TiVo-like capabilities?

And Airport Extreme? Wow!

Somehow I don't think that this will come out tomorrw. Then again, I could be wrong.

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
I will definately be one the first in line for an iBox. Not that I really need one, but to have the Apple Logo on top of my TV would be so cool!

AirUncleP

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2002
USA
Misc. Rantings

The way I see it, if you care. Apple iBox sits in you component rack and allows you to do the following.
1. Stream iTunes playlists to your tv/stereo system
2. Play iPhoto albums on your tv.
3. Switch back and forth from tv to internet via remote desktop.
4. TIVO'esq features with easy integration into iMovie or iDVD.

All for $499 and all wirelessly from your extreme capable laptop.

This is not so crazy. PS. iTracks is coming.

g30ffr3y

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
buffalo ny
sign me up for one... if they announce it next week ill be at my local apple store [five minutes from my work] quicker than you can say "ibox" wooooooooohhhhhhhhooooooooooooo...

it would be great and sounds to be more than just a set top box for the tv but a solution for integrating the home theatre with the computer... i would certainly like the idea of streaming my itunes into my living room from my mac... or my imovies to my tv or my tv shows to my mac... drool...

is this what we havent thought of???

time will tell... either way, this is going to be a great MWSF!!!

White Fire

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2003
Behind you!!!
I am an extreme sceptic on this.

Apple introducing this would be extremely unlikely. Technology has a long way to go before we start introducing things like this. The standards just aren't there yet.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Re: One more thing...

Originally posted by MarksEvilTwin
It says in the article at MACOSX that it does not serve as a "whats on when" box like TV...probably to avoid subscription fees, but what if it got that information form the copmuter from what essentially will be a sherlock channel? an idea....

Mark

my impression is that the person didn't actually know what a Tivo does.

arn

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
Re: Apple Set Top Box (iBox) Rumors Revived?

Originally posted by Macrumors
as a all-in-one sort of media device... running versions of iPhoto, iTunes, and iDVD. (though one discrepancy is that Apple has never supported DVD-authoring on a G3).

maybe they're working with Optibase and are making a special iBox version of iDVD?
Page 2 rumor says a new dvd authoring tool possibly debuting at MW.

Some_Big_Spoon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
New York, NY
Re: Re: One more thing...

TiVo's OS is Linux based: TiVoSite GPL Compliance
TiVo was being sold at Apple Stores previously: Macminute
Apple released TiVo Desktop Manager, but it's barely functional and nothing more has been said about it and it seems to have been left behind in development afer some fanfare: Apple TiVo Desktop
Calls have been made for Apple to Buy TiVo, Inc.: Fortune

That all being said, it's (sadly) not going to happen.

Originally posted by arn
my impression is that the person didn't actually know what a Tivo does. arn

just a thought

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2003
As someone who has basically stopped using CDs at all and is currently plugging his iPod into his home stereo for all his music, and as someone who wants a Tivo, but can't justify it because it only does one thing and I don't watch that much TV, and as someone who has a home Airport network, and as someone who has the last two years of his life on iPhoto, I have to say that this is a product that I am very interested in. I don't have much extra money, but this would be something--especially in the pricerange specified--that I would absolutely purchase without hesitation.

In short, it must be fake, because it's a dream come true.

Matty P

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2003
I would like to see Apple build a DVR type box that can integrate with my home network and collection of music / photos / home movies. It would be great to have a simple and powerful interface that I'm used to with all my Apple products. I know that I could achieve what I want with lots of fussing around with 3rd party software that you have to configure to work with each other, but I don't want that! I want 'Plug and Get On with My Life' You get your Apple DVR Box and open it, Plug in Video Connections and Power up, DHCP Router gives an IP, Rendezvous kicks in and we are ready to go! Listen to your iTunes library, view photos from iPhoto, and view videos from a new iLife app a bit like Trinfinty Software's Seagull Video player, an iPhoto type app for video inc the ability to archive DVD's.

Then you decide to record a program via the auto downloaded Scheduling Guide as you get in most DVR's, but as you are enjoying your TV show the DVR auto archives the programme to your home machine (that has loads of storage). Then your sister comes home 10mins into the TV show opens her iBook and starts watching the show in her bedroom! While all that is going on your Mum who is ill in bed turns on her DVR box and decides to watch an archived DVD from her user account on the home Mac.

We need to blow the XP Home machine away and take things to the next level with a true 'Digital Hub' for the home. There is so much that could be done and Apple is the company to achieve it.

AMPrkm

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2004
This is probably the oldest, most persistent rumor still out there today (aside from Disney mergers, of course). IIRC, the original proponent of the Apple set-top box, labeled the "Apple Media Player," was Robert Morgan of AppleRecon (which is now apparently defunct). He seemed to have had legitimate insider connections along with whoever wrote the Mac the Knife column for MacWeek (remember that? :)).

Back in those days, it was cool to hang out in the MTK forums on the MacWeek web site, where Knife, Morgan, and others would offer insight on a regular basis, but those forums were eventually shut down after MacWeek shifted to an online-only publication. A group of active forum members worked to salvage things, but I don't recall what happened. Hopefully all that info isn't lost forever!

Oh the memories ;-)

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
Re: Misc. Rantings

Originally posted by AirUncleP
The way I see it, if you care. Apple iBox sits in you component rack and allows you to do the following.
1. Stream iTunes playlists to your tv/stereo system
2. Play iPhoto albums on your tv.
3. Switch back and forth from tv to internet via remote desktop.
4. TIVO'esq features with easy integration into iMovie or iDVD.
Brilliant! Genius! You should patent this idea at once. And bring it to market. Wait, someone's already done that. It's called TiVo.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003

Looks nice but streaming is between ReplayTV units only. Seems like they want you to have one connected to each TV.

The last sentence here is kind of scary:

"ReplayTV 5500 requires a broadband Internet connection or a analog phone line. A home network is required for room-to-room video streaming. A PC connected to a home network is required to store and view digital photos with ReplayTV. ReplayTV reserves the right to automatically add, modify, or disable any features in the operating software when your ReplayTV 5500 connects to our server."

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Nosir, I don't like it...

To me, the features mentioned doesn't seem like enough to warrant adding another box to the entertainment center. Would Apple really do this? The possibility is always there, but I don't think so.

KevinHoctor

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2001
The Woodlands, TX
TiVo is barely surviving

Although I think Apple could do a good job with a centralized media box, they already have said that the computer is the digital hub and not anything else in the house.

Also I happen to like the way TiVo works very much and Apple would have to do an awful lot to improve on an already great product.

Lastly, the DVR market is alive but not thriving. It just has not caught on with many people because they just don't get it. I can't imagine TV without it any more, but we TiVo users are like Mac users...few and fiercely loyal. Apple doesn't need another small niche market unless they can really break new ground and get the attention of a wider audience like they did with the iPod.

My opinion anyway.

just a thought

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2003
Originally posted by Hemingray
Nosir, I don't like it...

To me, the features mentioned doesn't seem like enough to warrant adding another box to the entertainment center. Would Apple really do this? The possibility is always there, but I don't think so.

Add a box? For me, it would allow me to remove three boxes from my system:

My VCR
My DVD player
My CD player.

Simplifies my life significantly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.